Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 69

Thread: Ohio State - Michigan 2009

  1. #16
    Member cincrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    South Vienna, OH
    Posts
    4,387

    Re: Ohio State - Michigan 2009

    I think that RichRod is getting another year regardless of outside circumstances. Bill Martin is not going to admit to his mistake this quickly and fire Rodriguez. With that being said, Martin has under a year remaining as AD, and if Michigan turns in another subpar season next season, good by RichRod.

    Rodriguez is a horrible fit for Michigan, and it's been clear from day one. At the beginning of his hiring, the thought of him at Michigan scared the crap out of me. But once the games started, it became clear that the man did not fit the school.

    He's a good coach. And Michigan is a great program. But it's an awful fit.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    All Fired Up Revering4Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    1,509

    Re: Ohio State - Michigan 2009

    Instant Analysis - Nov. 21

    Ohio State 21 ... Michigan 10

    Pete Fiutak

    Take a good look, Ohio State fans. Take a good, long look at the utter disaster that is the transition period at Michigan, and then hit your knees and thank whatever it is you pray to that Jim Tressel keeps on cranking out great team after great team.

    Dog how boring the Buckeyes are all you want, but do you know what’s really boring? Complaints about losing on a regular basis. Year after year, a segment of the Michigan fan base complained about the steady excellence of Lloyd Carr and whined that he didn’t get his teams into the national title discussion enough. That was fair; Michigan should be in the hunt for the BCS Championship every season. But there’s a flip side to the equation, and that’s what happens when you’re trying to rebuild and reload the program. If Rich Rodriguez doesn’t turn the team around next year, then there’s going to be another transitional period and it’s going to be another long period of Ohio State dominance over the Maize and Blue. And that’s where Tressel and his coaching staff come in.

    The team turned more and more to the running game over the second half of the season, regularly cranking out over 200 yards per game now, while the defense has been its typical dominant and productive self. And now Ohio State is going to the Rose Bowl, it’s the outright Big Ten champion, and it has a sixth straight win over Michigan. No, Ohio State, you’re not going to the BCS Championship, but enjoy the moment and enjoy what’s happening now. Ask Michigan what the other side is like.

    Richard Cirminiello

    If the honeymoon wasn’t over for Rich Rodriguez before this weekend, it sure is now.

    I believe in Rodriguez as a head coach. What he did at West Virginia was remarkable. I also believe that two seasons is not nearly enough time to evaluate someone. However, now that he’s presided over one of the worst two-year stretches in school history, how do you avoid being critical? I mean, this is Michigan football, one of the most storied programs in all of collegiate sports. Last season was acceptable. New regime, new system, new culture, and all. This year had to be different, however, especially after the Wolverines began the season 4-0. It really wasn’t. No one was asking for miracles in 2009. Bowl eligibility would have sufficed. Minnesota is bowl-eligible. Northwestern is bowl-eligible. And Michigan, for a second straight year, is not, which has become increasingly unacceptable in these parts.

    Assuming Rodriguez is back on the sidelines in 2010, the pressure to succeed is going to be insurmountable. Forget bowl eligibility this time around. He better be the catalyst for a quantum leap to eight or nine wins or else there’ll be no 2011. At some point, you can no longer blame the prior regime for the current state of a program. You’ve got to own your portion of the mess. Coach Rod owns one-third of the Wolverines’ six-game losing streak to Ohio State, adding to a very contentious situation in Ann Arbor.

    Matt Zemek

    1) It’s circular and twisted, but it’s true: See Jim Tressel not coach Terrelle Pryor well. See Terrelle Pryor commit a turnover that gets cashed into points for the other team. See Jim Tressel pull in the reins on Pryor. See Ohio State play conservatively. See Ohio State not make any more turnovers. See Ohio State’s defense dominate. See Ohio State beat Michigan. See Ohio State win the Big Ten outright.

    Tressel does need a new offensive coordinator and a better overall (and perhaps differently delegated) approach to play calling, but this game affirmed the basic tenets of the TresselBall method: Don’t make mistakes, win ballgames. The logic of Tressel is sound and unimpeachable; it’s the quarterback coaching which should merit scrutiny and cause concern. Don’t bag on the man or his results; focus on the technical merits of his quarterbacking instruction.

    2) Rich Rodriguez needs to come up with a finite plan at quarterback in 2010, when his team will play its next game. The shuffling of Tate Forcier and Denard Robinson was inconsistent this season, and the use of the two signal callers - on a drive in which Robinson was thriving - came back to bite the Michigan boss. The Tate Forcier interception that ended UM’s last best hope of victory was in part the product of very irregular executive decisions. Michigan doesn’t have to go 10-2 next year, but if we’re sitting here in 12 months and the Maize and Blue are outside the bowl game candy store, RichRod’s experiment in Ann Arbor should be terminated.

    http://cfn.scout.com/2/921991.html

    "Rich Rodriguez needs to come up with a finite plan at quarterback in 2010, when his team will play its next game."

    Devin Gardner will solve that problem.

  4. #18
    Hisssssssss Yachtzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Land of the Lost
    Posts
    7,266

    Re: Ohio State - Michigan 2009

    Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    OK, I hate the Buckeye uni's today. Oogly.
    Those unis were brutal. I found it interesting that Nike tried to pass it off as "retro" in that they said it was inspired by a uniform from the '50s, but it was clearly Nike's new uniform template with an old Buckeyes' color scheme slapped on. My feeling is that Nike is using today's uniforms to try and work Ohio State into their uniform template program. I fear that, in the next season or so, the Buckeyes' uniforms are going to look just like Oregon's, Virginia Tech's, Miami's or Florida's, but with a scarlet and gray color scheme. Goodbye nice traditional look. Hello gimmicky designs with contrasting color sleeves, "Miami Bra Straps" across the back, or "diamond plate" on the shoulder pads. My only hope is that enough Buckeye fans raise a stink about the new uni designs that force Nike to keep Ohio State's traditional look.

    Ohio State may have been the best team on the scoreboard, but Michigan definitely outclassed the Bucks in the sartorial department. Their Adidas duds had a clean, classic look.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

  5. #19
    Member 15fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    5,510

    Re: Ohio State - Michigan 2009

    Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    He's a good coach.
    I disagree.

  6. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,325

    Re: Ohio State - Michigan 2009

    Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    Aside from practically building the WVU program himself, he's a terrible coach.

  7. #21
    Yay!
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Middletown, Ohio
    Posts
    7,447

    Re: Ohio State - Michigan 2009

    Quote Originally Posted by DTCromer View Post
    Aside from practically building the WVU program himself, he's a terrible coach.
    Yeah, that Don Nehlen guy never did anything at WVU. :
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

  8. #22
    All Fired Up Revering4Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    1,509

    Re: Ohio State - Michigan 2009

    Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    That is a very astute observation. It is unacceptable to lose to a much less talented team within your own conference.

    Regards,

    Pete Carroll

  9. #23
    Member cincrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    South Vienna, OH
    Posts
    4,387

    Re: Ohio State - Michigan 2009

    Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    West Virginia was a juggernaut under Rodriguez. The results of one game mean little in the grand scheme of things.

  10. #24
    Member Spring~Fields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    8,630

    Re: Ohio State - Michigan 2009

    Instant Analysis - Nov. 21

    Take a good look, Ohio State fans. Take a good, long look at the utter disaster that is the transition period at Michigan, and then hit your knees and thank whatever it is you pray to that Jim Tressel keeps on cranking out great team after great team.
    So tempting to ask this guy what he thinks of the other Big Ten teams and their “utter disaster” in their long, long “transition“, other than Penn State and Iowa this year.

    Is Ohio State really cranking out “great team after great team” or is it the “utter disaster” factor in Michigan and the other Big Ten teams that makes them look like “great team after great team” ?

    Code:
    Team 				    Season Record
    Navy 			W 31-27 	8-3 
    USC 			L 15-18		7-3
    Toledo 		        W 38-0 		5-6
    Illinois 		W 30-0 		3-7
    Indiana 		W 33-14 	4-8
    Wisconsin 		W 31-13 	8-3
    Purdue 		        L 18-26		5-7
    Minnesota 		W 38-7 		6-6
    New Mexico State 	W 45-0 		3-8
    Penn State 		W 24-7 		10-2
    Iowa 			W 27-24 	10-2
    Michigan 		W 21-10		5-7
    7 teams .500 or below
    “Great team after great team”, or is my favorite Goliath feasting on the weaker “utter disasters”?
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 11-22-2009 at 07:57 AM.

  11. #25
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,678

    Re: Ohio State - Michigan 2009

    Quote Originally Posted by Spring~Fields View Post
    So tempting to ask this guy what he thinks of the other Big Ten teams and their “utter disaster” in their long, long “transition“, other than Penn State and Iowa this year.

    Is Ohio State really cranking out “great team after great team” or is it the “utter disaster” factor in Michigan and the other Big Ten teams that makes them look like “great team after great team” ?

    Code:
    Team 				    Season Record
    Navy 			W 31-27 	8-3 
    USC 			L 15-18		7-3
    Toledo 		        W 38-0 		5-6
    Illinois 		W 30-0 		3-7
    Indiana 		W 33-14 	4-8
    Wisconsin 		W 31-13 	8-3
    Purdue 		        L 18-26		5-7
    Minnesota 		W 38-7 		6-6
    New Mexico State 	W 45-0 		3-8
    Penn State 		W 24-7 		10-2
    Iowa 			W 27-24 	10-2
    Michigan 		W 21-10		5-7
    7 teams .500 or below
    “Great team after great team”, or is my favorite Goliath feasting on the weaker “utter disasters”?
    I'm not sure what you're trying to say. Looking at the records of opponents, they beat 2 10-2 teams, 2 8-3 teams, and lost to a 7-3 team. Their loss to Purdue was an anomalic upset that happens to top teams.

    Michigan, considering their potential as a program that any other coach they've had has been able to realize, is correctly characterized as an utter disaster.

  12. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,325

    Re: Ohio State - Michigan 2009

    Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I'm not sure what you're trying to say. Looking at the records of opponents, they beat 2 10-2 teams, 2 8-3 teams, and lost to a 7-3 team. Their loss to Purdue was an anomalic upset that happens to top teams.

    Michigan, considering their potential as a program that any other coach they've had has been able to realize, is correctly characterized as an utter disaster.
    Has the Big 10 had any significant OOC win this year? I know Iowa beat Arizona at home with their now backup QB and NFL prospect of a TE out. Other than that, have they beat anyone worth mentioning? In a year where college football, as a whole, is medicore, they haven't really beat anyone.

    I'm not saying OSU is average, but just because they beat Penn State and Iowa doesn't mean they're great considering A) Penn State's best win is probably NW and B) Iowa has looked like garbage in most of their wins.

  13. #27
    Member cincrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    South Vienna, OH
    Posts
    4,387

    Re: Ohio State - Michigan 2009

    OSU has won ten straight games for five straight years. I don't care who they're playing, that's impressive. It's not as if every other team in the country plays juggernauts every week. IMO, Ohio State has had a tougher schedule than Florida and Alabama up to this point.

    I'm not concerned with the rest of the Big 10. They can rot for all I'm concerned. All I know is Jim Tressel has won eight out of nine vs. Michigan, and five straight Big 10 titles. It's a once in a lifetime kind of run, and I'm enjoying it.

  14. #28
    * Bat Votto Second * goreds2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    OH H - EYE OH
    Posts
    2,684

    Re: Ohio State - Michigan 2009

    Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    I'm not concerned with the rest of the Big 10. They can rot for all I'm concerned. All I know is Jim Tressel has won eight out of nine vs. Michigan, and five straight Big 10 titles. It's a once in a lifetime kind of run, and I'm enjoying it.
    Very well said.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

    Watched the 2012 Clincher on FOX.
    Proud owner of a 1990 Dodge Class B Motorhome: A chick magnet!
    GO STEELERS
    www.tracyjonesonline.com
    Great YOUTUBE videos.

  15. #29
    THAT'S A FACT JACK!! GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    26,681

    Re: Ohio State - Michigan 2009

    Rodriquez will get another year, and IMO should. He's trying to build a program. Wasn't he hired late in the first year that possibly hindered his scouting, recruiting?

    I agree with what tr alluded to earlier, and that basically, while I love beating up on Michigan, the Big 10 NEEDS that Michigan program to restore itself to being one of the nation's elite teams again. It will help the conference too overall.

    Charlie Weis is another story. He'll be history, if not already, after Harbaugh's Stanford tears them up next week.

    The only thing that bothers me about this OSU team, and Pryor in particular, is the passing game. Yeah, we ran the ball down the Wolverine's throat for 251 yds. But the Wolverine's pass defense ain't nothing to brag about either, and Pryor was 9 of 17 for 67 yards with a TD and an interception (deflected pass). Our pass offense is LAST in the Big 10.

    I like Posey (sophmore), but Sanzenbacher has been disappointing IMO. And is there some rule in Tressel's playbook where it's pretty much forbidden to throw to your RBs more then 2-3 times/game?

    Now some may rightly contend that that is simply Tressel, as far as if and when he allows Pryor to pass. And maybe that's because Pryor just isn't that good of a passer. I don't know. I do know though that I've watched this kid miss a lot of open receivers this year.

    But I have seen much improvement (maturity) in Terrel in the second half of the season.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

  16. #30
    Member cincrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    South Vienna, OH
    Posts
    4,387

    Re: Ohio State - Michigan 2009

    Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Rodriquez will get another year, and IMO should. He's trying to build a program. Wasn't he hired late in the first year that possibly hindered his scouting, recruiting?

    I agree with what tr alluded to earlier, and that basically, while I love beating up on Michigan, the Big 10 NEEDS that Michigan program to restore itself to being one of the nation's elite teams again. It will help the conference too overall.

    Charlie Weis is another story. He'll be history, if not already, after Harbaugh's Stanford tears them up next week.

    The only thing that bothers me about this OSU team, and Pryor in particular, is the passing game. Yeah, we ran the ball down the Wolverine's throat for 251 yds. But the Wolverine's pass defense ain't nothing to brag about either, and Pryor was 9 of 17 for 67 yards with a TD and an interception (deflected pass). Our pass offense is LAST in the Big 10.

    I like Posey (sophmore), but Sanzenbacher has been disappointing IMO. And is there some rule in Tressel's playbook where it's pretty much forbidden to throw to your RBs more then 2-3 times/game?

    Now some may rightly contend that that is simply Tressel, as far as if and when he allows Pryor to pass. And maybe that's because Pryor just isn't that good of a passer. I don't know. I do know though that I've watched this kid miss a lot of open receivers this year.

    But I have seen much improvement (maturity) in Terrel in the second half of the season.
    After watching Pryor all season, I don't think he's capable of making most of these throws. He's missed several easy throws all year, and I think Tressel is handling it perfectly by limiting what he can do. I was kicking and screaming for Pryor to do more, until the Purdue game, then it became obvious to me that Pryor+doingmore=unmitigated disaster.

    And I think Rodriguez needs more time also. But what I find most stunning about his tenure is how BAD they are. I know they need time to rebuild the program, but they've been downright dreadful for two years. I don't think there's any excuse for three Big 10 wins in two years, especially with how bad the conference is. The guy isn't very good at coaching talent that can't fit into his system.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25