Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Double trouble for USC

Double trouble for USC

http://www.cbssports.com/columns/story/11746214

There have been dirtier college football programs. Southern Methodist with its Pony Expre$$ comes to mind. Oklahoma and all the hell that was breaking loose under Barry Switzer. Almost any of the schools coached by Jackie Sherrill.

There have been dirtier college basketball programs. Kentucky in the late 1980s with bulging Emery envelopes and bogus SAT test scores. California with Todd Bozeman. Baylor and that serpent, Dave Bliss.

But there has never been a dirtier combination of college football and college basketball programs, at the same time, than the Southern California Trojans.

What era of USC football and basketball?

This era.

The latest dagger, but probably not the last, came this week when Yahoo! Sports and then the Los Angeles Times reported that the basketball coach at USC, Tim Floyd, has been accused -- on the record, in interviews with federal and even NCAA officials -- of paying off an associate of former USC star O.J. Mayo.

That follows accusations that Mayo and his friend, Rodney Guillory, had received hundreds of thousands of dollars in goods and services from the sports agency that would go on to represent Mayo briefly after he turned pro as a freshman in 2008.

A large and vocal segment of the USC fan base will refuse to believe the latest charge against Floyd, and attack everyone who does believe it, because that's what fans do. They believe the worst in other programs, but they believe the best in their own. And that's fine. Do your thing, USC fans. But you won't mind if we laugh at you for it, right?

Meanwhile, the USC football team already has been accused of looking the other way while its Heisman Trophy winner from 2005, Reggie Bush, was getting hundreds of thousands of dollars in inducements from a sports marketing agent -- an agent, it should be noted, who was allowed onto the sidelines at home games by the USC athletic department.

This is bad stuff. The USC football team won national championships in 2003 and '04 and has finished in the top four every other year from 2002-08. Accusations like the ones against Bush -- made on the record, by the way, by a former friend of Bush -- call into question the entire dynasty. If the Trojans couldn't be bothered to sniff out the cheating that helped keep Bush on campus, what else happened inside Pete Carroll's program?

In Carroll's defense, he hasn't been accused of any of this cheating. He has shown unbelievably bad judgment, once pranking his team by pretending that LenDale White jumped off a nearby building and also allowing notorious alum O.J. Simpson to attend practice. So he has made light of suicide and homicide. But Carroll hasn't done this. He hasn't been accused, on the record, of paying off a player. That's the worst, and the dumbest, kind of cheating imaginable -- and that's what Tim Floyd is said to have done.

And nothing about Tim Floyd's past says he deserves the benefit of the doubt. He turned USC around by prospecting in the gray area of recruiting, luring players with package deals and recruiting players committed to other schools and even having an NCAA rule nicknamed in his honor. Remember the old eight-and-five rule that limited basketball teams to five signees in one year, and eight over a two-year period? That rule was enacted in 2000 in large part because of Floyd, whose tenure at Iowa State from 1994-98 was marked by his tendency to recruit beyond the NCAA's 13-scholarship limit and cut loose excess players before the school year began. Every summer, other coaches knew, a solid player or two would become available after being run off by Floyd. So they called the eight-and-five rule "the Tim Floyd rule."

This is the guy Southern California hired.

And this guy, this Tim Floyd, allowed a known character risk like O.J. Mayo, and by extension a known NCAA violator like Rodney Guillory, into his program -- even after someone as stupid as me warned USC against it. And so now we have this accusation that he gave cash to Guillory, an accusation made by a former associate/friend of Mayo and Guillory, Louis Johnson, who didn't just tell the media about it. He told the feds, on the record. Which means if he's lying, he's going to jail.

Add it up, and you have a brutal accusation against the USC basketball coach and damning accusations against the biggest USC football star in years. The NCAA's response, after opening separate investigations into both programs, has been to roll them into a single, program-wide look at USC athletics. The NCAA is looking for the dreaded "lack of institutional control," and the NCAA is going to find it.

This is cartoon stuff, the massive, two-sport improprieties being investigated at USC. This is Todd Bozeman meets Bobby Bowden. This is one coach being accused of outright cheating, and another coach being accused of not knowing, or wanting to know, the cheating happening with his players.

This is the most scandalous athletic program of this era. And that's saying something. So the question to ask right now is not this one: Who should be fired at USC?

The question is this:

Who shouldn't?
    This athletic department is in a ton of trouble. Heads are going to roll, for sure. Hopefully the distractions continue to mount going into September 12th

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Double trouble for USC

I think that $1,000 would be pretty cheap to buy O.J. Mayo. And why would a coach do that? Why not get some alum to do that job?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

The NCAA has been very slow on the USC investigations. The Bush case has been under investigation for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post
    The NCAA has been very slow on the USC investigations. The Bush case has been under investigation for years.
    ESPN doesn't have a disgruntled star, with an axe to grind, to rub in everyone's face. That is why this is taking so long.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

USC needs to be nailed to the wall, but the NCAA will go easier than they should. It's like the old Onion headline: "Florida State Accused of Major Violations, Cleveland State Given 16 Years Probation." If you don't agree with the sentiment, see exhibit A, Ohio State (sorry, I know a lot on here don't want to hear that). The NCAA will always protect it's cash cows.

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    USC needs to be nailed to the wall, but the NCAA will go easier than they should. It's like the old Onion headline: "Florida State Accused of Major Violations, Cleveland State Given 16 Years Probation." If you don't agree with the sentiment, see exhibit A, Ohio State (sorry, I know a lot on here don't want to hear that). The NCAA will always protect it's cash cows.
    We have been over the Ohio State stuff before on this board. Jim Obrien and the basketball team were self reported, and taken care of with NCAA sanctions. They were stripped of their final four appearance in 1999, had to vacate wins, and had a self imposed ban on post season play. They fired their coach once they learned of the problem, he then sued them for wrongful termination, and they had to pay the rest of his contract, plus damages.

The football stuff was mostly made up by players that had grievances against Ohio State, especially Maurice Clarret. Some claim there was a cover up. Others know things about the story and know that the NCAA came looking for blood and found very little. Troy Smith got busted, self reported by OSU to the NCAA, and suspended. No games given back, no titles vacated, no loss of scholarships, no probation.

USCs stuff appears from the outside to be much more serious.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

OSU certainly isn't perfect, but Jim Tressel runs one of the cleaner programs in the country. Fact of the matter is, you're going to find faults at every large, successful football "factory." Every now and then, a giant will fall. It may well be USC's turn.

Well, Tim Floyd resigned.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Well, Tim Floyd resigned.

Wow.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

This could get really, really ugly. Of course it probably won't as the NCAA wants to find a way to protect the cash cow.

This could get really, really ugly. Of course it probably won't as the NCAA wants to find a way to protect the cash cow.

I don't think they would hesitate for a second to put the basketball program on probation. The football program is another matter.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I have no proof for what I am going to say so take it for what its worth.

Tim Floyd always seemed like a dirty coach to me. He has a mediocre tenure at ISU, got a job coaching the post-Jordan Bulls and did nothing, landed another head coaching job with the Hornets and did little. He comes to USC and almost immediately starts bringing in top notch players. He has never been a great coach or even a very successful post season college coach. But he always recruited over his head at USC. Something just doesn't add up with Floyd.

Andy Katz brought up a good point. Floyd may think that USC is throwing him under the bus to save Pete Carrol and its football program. The NCAA has combined both the football and basketball problems of USC into one investigation. USC may think if Floyd gets the blame, Carrol and its football program may be spared of a major punishment.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I have no proof for what I am going to say so take it for what its worth.

Tim Floyd always seemed like a dirty coach to me. He has a mediocre tenure at ISU, got a job coaching the post-Jordan Bulls and did nothing, landed another head coaching job with the Hornets and did little. He comes to USC and almost immediately starts bringing in top notch players. He has never been a great coach or even a very successful post season college coach. But he always recruited over his head at USC. Something just doesn't add up with Floyd.

Andy Katz brought up a good point. Floyd may think that USC is throwing him under the bus to save Pete Carrol and its football program. The NCAA has combined both the football and basketball problems of USC into one investigation. USC may think if Floyd gets the blame, Carrol and its football program may be spared of a major punishment.
    I don't think it is so much Floyd being a dirty coach as much as it is having the NBA cred attached to his name (Pitino, Calipari).

One and done players such as OJ Mayo and DeMar Derozan will consider USC because of a coach who has coached in the NBA and will likely give them feedback on what they need to improve upon. Or in Mayo's case, $1,000 payments to his "advisors".

If this ends up turning into a federal issue, USC could be in trouble in football regardless. The NCAA may play favorites, the feds won't.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Some names being mentioned:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/column...ndy&id=4247444

• Randy Bennett (St Mary's)
    • Craig Robinson (Oregon State) also brother in law to the President
    • Billy Gillispie
    • Reggie Theus
    • Bob Knight
    • Seth Greenberg (Va Tech)
    • Dan Monson (Long Beach State, former Minnesota and Gonzaga)

Bob Knight? I don't see it. I'd have to think BCG is a longshot as well.

Turn Off Ads?