Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Where will Brian Kelly be in 2010?

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • Clifton (Head Coach, University of Cincinnati)

44 44.00%
  • South Bend (Head Coach, University of Notre Dame)

52 52.00%
  • Someplace Else

4 4.00%
Page 1 of 41 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Where will Brian Kelly be in 2010?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Where will Brian Kelly be in 2010?

Rumors are swirling around Brian Kelly regarding the impending job opening at Notre Dame. Depending on where you read it or hear it, the rumors range from "done deal" to "conversations via 3rd parties." Some say he's the main target, some indicate that he's a fallback position if ND can't land Bob Stoops or Urban Meyer.

For his part, Kelly didn't take the "pledge" (as Urban Meyer did regarding his future at Florida) today at his presser.

So, your best guess -- where is Brian Kelly in 2010?
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Re: Where will Brian Kelly be in 2010?

It will take a miracle to keep him around in 2010. It's very unlikely they'll even be able to keep him around to coach in a Bowl game, unfortunately.

I think Kelly's the diversion while Notre Dame quietly lands somebody else that we haven't yet heard of.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

I put it at 50/50 based off of nothing more than gut feelings and optimism.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

I voted South Bend, but who really knows.

If he's smart he'll stay where he is. That said if he indeed goes to ND it should be an interesting transition, I'm not sure ND has the speed and athleticism available he had when he got to UC (thanks to Dantonio). It might eventually work for him there if they give him the time to turn it around, not so sure they will.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I hope he's at ND, I'd rather have Kelly than Meyer or Stoops.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

I said he'll stay in Cincy. This is a wish, as well as an expectation. He seems to like it here, although I know that a bigger paycheck can change one's feelings pretty quickly.

I say ND. I think Weiss gets the can (especially if he loses to Stanford). Urban would not leave Florida to go to ND. Kelly just makes too much sense

I have a hard time getting a read on it. The fact that Kelly does not deny it sounds like coachspeak for yes, I'll take the job if offered.

And I haven't gotten a handle on what Kelly's flaws are. Those flaws will get exacerbated under the ND magnifying glass and there are a lot of dead burnt ant ND coaches around. Will he be like Rich Rod and flunk out or like Urban Meyer and wildly succeed? Don't know.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Will he be like Rich Rod and flunk out or like Urban Meyer and wildly succeed? Don't know.
    Brian Kelly > Rich Rod

The more and more you look at things, the more it seems pretty obvious that he's obviously got some kind of agreement with Notre Dame's people. The only question remaining, I guess, is if Notre Dame finds someone they like more (Urban Meyer, Bob Stoops, etc.) at the 11th hour and leaves Kelly standing at the alter.

I think UC's in trouble -- they aren't likely to find a guy like Kelly, who merges an exciting brand of football with a great ability to sell the program locally, as a replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    The more and more you look at things, the more it seems pretty obvious that he's obviously got some kind of agreement with Notre Dame's people. The only question remaining, I guess, is if Notre Dame finds someone they like more (Urban Meyer, Bob Stoops, etc.) at the 11th hour and leaves Kelly standing at the alter.

I think UC's in trouble -- they aren't likely to find a guy like Kelly, who merges an exciting brand of football with a great ability to sell the program locally, as a replacement.
    I could be way off base but I'm thinking asst coach Kerry Coombs may be the guy. He's very enthusiastic, has Cincinnati ties and could also sell the program.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I could be way off base but I'm thinking asst coach Kerry Coombs may be the guy. He's very enthusiastic, has Cincinnati ties and could also sell the program.
    He isn't ready to take over as a head coach for a D1 BCS program, IMO. He has zero head coaching expierence at this level.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Coombs as a head coach would be a disaster. He has no experience, even at the coordinator level, at a D-1 program, and his time as a high school coach was spent running an option-style attack. He's a fantastic resource for local high school recruiting, but he's not head coaching material.

Turn Off Ads?