Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Google Wave

Google Wave

I received an invite this week to be one of the Google Wave beta testers. I must say that I come away with a very positive first impression.

I generally am pretty receptive to new technology. I like to stay current with all the new software and electronics. Having a partial background in cellular communications, it goes without saying I have to stay current on the phone industry, but I generally try to concurrently keep up with computer tech.

As such, I'm embarrassed to admit that when I first tried Wave, despite knowing the needs and advantages of collaboration, it seemed like a mix of a glorified email account and message board among invitees.

I'll confess, though, after using it a bit more with a friend of mine that introduced me to it, it's extremely intuitive.

For those of you that have not yet heard about Wave, its' a collaboration tool that Google is introducing (right now on a trial basis) to have real-time communication. In addition to having threaded replies, and showing the typing as it occurs by another party, you can insert maps, surveys, attachments, documents, media and many, many gadgets and tools into your collaboration. You can invite selected individuals to take part in a particular thread, or "wave." What's especially neat is that they have extensions for video chat and teleconferencing you can install to run during a session.

While the video chat seems limited at the moment, as you can only do one-on-one, and it seems directed more at personal use than business, the teleconferencing software is pretty slick. You enter your phone number, and have all the users do the same, and once you start the conference within the wave it calls all the users on their phone from the number of the host, connecting them instantly. Pretty slick.

From what I've seen of it thus far, it's going to do well for its intended use. Any type of collaborative or planning effort could be greatly benefited by Wave.

Another tremendous product, it seems, for Google. And I hate myself for taking part in their quest for world domination.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: Google Wave

It'll be a great replacement for game threads someday.
    /r/reds

I just got an invite on Monday and tinkered with it for 10 minutes or so during work. It seems pretty interesting. I'm looking forward to spending more time on it! I could see how the real time typing could be a problem. Often I'll write something in an instant message, then think better of it and erase it before I press enter. There's no undo button in real time though...
    My name is Cheesy Beef Burrito

Quote Originally Posted by yab1112 View Post
    I just got an invite on Monday and tinkered with it for 10 minutes or so during work. It seems pretty interesting. I'm looking forward to spending more time on it! I could see how the real time typing could be a problem. Often I'll write something in an instant message, then think better of it and erase it before I press enter. There's no undo button in real time though...
    Pretty sure you can turn that option off and use it as a more conventional IM where you send the entire message.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco View Post
    Pretty sure you can turn that option off and use it as a more conventional IM where you send the entire message.
    Ah, that makes sense. Not as cool but I won't have to worry about typing faster than i think
    My name is Cheesy Beef Burrito

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco View Post
    I haven't seen that option available so far, but I believe it's something that will be available when the full version is out of beta.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    I haven't seen that option available so far, but I believe it's something that will be available when the full version is out of beta.
    Dunno, I saw them be able to turn it off in the video demo. I'm still waiiting on my invite, so I'm not certain.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Turn Off Ads?