Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 70's & 90's Memorabilia

70's & 90's Memorabilia

Similar somewhat to the Crosley video thread, can someone explain why there is so much more memorablia from the BRM days as opposed to the 1990 team? With the BRM we had measuring rulers, RC cans, beer cans, dinner trays, lunch bags, bourbon bottles, key chains, knives, ash trays, drinking glasses etc all paying tribute to the 75 & 76 WS victory, but with the 90' Reds you have very few items commemorating the WS win compared to the BRM.

Is it something to do with paying the players for using their image that didn't exist in the mid 70's??
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

2. Likes:

Dom Heffner (02-22-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 70's & 90's Memorabilia

I'd imagine it's because the BRM was a much better team. The Reds were a factor for a full decade in the '70s, giving plenty of opportunity for Reds merchandising, whereas the 1990 team was lightning in a bottle. That was a team that had a losing record the year before and the year after winning the title. When the discussion of greatest team ever happens, the BRM is featured front and center. The 1990 Reds, not so much. There wasn't much point in bringing out a bunch of Reds items in 1991, when they were slogging their way to a 74-88 record, which set the mark for worst by a defending champ until the Marlins dismantled their team after winning in 1997.

that reminds me i go to ebay from time to time and pull up the Reds and then listen to my wife fuss while an endless supply of useless Reds crap shows up at our house....ya know i really needed those cincy salt and pepper shakers!

I think the BRM was expected to be good, and was for 2 years, which made collecting/making easier. The 1990 Reds were a surprise, and the season that followed was pretty poor.

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    I think the BRM was expected to be good, and was for 2 years, which made collecting/making easier. The 1990 Reds were a surprise, and the season that followed was pretty poor.
    I guess what I am talking about is there were more items that gave tribute to the WS teams of 75' and 76'. If you go to Ebay and look for items that gave tribute to the 75' and 76' teams you will see many different items. But if you do the same for the 90' Reds you see very few items. I am an avid collector of the 75' and 76' team and of the 90' team but the 90' team has very few items that paid tribute to the team that the 75/76 team had. I don't see how the 90' team catching so many people by suprise had anything to do with it. I mean in the summer of 75' you couldn't design or plan on marketing an item for the team had they won the 75' series till they won it. The 90' team was in first place the entire year so using that logic the marketers should have been designing WS items for a potential Reds WS championship, but they didnt.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

As Danny Serafini the Big Red Machine was a dominant team throughout the 1970s, with the most wins of any team in that decade. Even before they peaked and won the 1975-76 World Championships they were a post-season fixture, with titles predicted for them every spring.
    The BRM also featured players who were both better and more famous than anyone on the 1990 Reds. By Bill James Win Shares method, the three players who had the most Win Shares in the 1970s were Morgan, Bench and Rose; no other team has ever had the top three Win Shares players for a decade.
    Johnny Bench had been one the more well known and popular players ever since his rookie year, traveling with Bob Hope's Christmas visits to the troops, appearing on countless magazine covers, and being called the best catcher in history by age 22.
    Pete Rose was arguably the best known player in the game, rivaled only in notriety and self-promotion by Reggie Jackson, and easily the best interview around.
    Joe Morgan was remarkably articulate, as benefited a future broadcaster, and simply the best player in the game for about five straight seasons.
    The 1990 Reds had no one like that trio.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

9. Likes:

Bob Borkowski (02-01-2013)

I appreciate the reponses guys but maybe I am not asking the question well enough.

In my China Cabinet I have..

1) 4 different styles of drinking glasses with the front page of the local newspapers commemorating the 75/76 WS victories.
    2) a white plate with stamped autographs from the 76 WS Victories.
    3) 2 different style ashtrays featuring the 75/76 victories.
    4) A metal serving tray of the 76' Reds.
    5) Ice Bucket of the 76' Reds.
    6) Knife commemorating the 76 Reds.
    7) 2 Pepsi bottles commemorating the 75/76 Reds.
    8) 2 Hudepohl cans commemorating the 75/76 Reds.

As far as the 90' Reds they are only represented by a belt buckle. There just are not the same unique things made to pay tribute to that team like the 75/76 team had. Maybe I am wrong but I don't see that Rose, Bench, Morgan etc playing on the team had that much to do with so much more different and unique items being made than what the 90' team had made.

Maybe there really isn't a reason and thats just the way it was!!
    Last edited by George Anderson; 11-26-2009 at 09:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I appreciate the reponses guys but maybe I am not asking the question well enough.

In my China Cabinet I have..

1) 4 different styles of drinking glasses with the front page of the local newspapers commemorating the 75/76 WS victories.
    2) a white plate with stamped autographs from the 76 WS Victories.
    3) 2 different style ashtrays featuring the 75/76 victories.
    4) A metal serving tray of the 76' Reds.
    5) Ice Bucket of the 76' Reds.
    6) Knife commemorating the 76 Reds.
    7) 2 Pepsi bottles commemorating the 75/76 Reds.
    8) 2 Hudepohl cans commemorating the 75/76 Reds.

As far as the 90' Reds they are only represented by a belt buckle. There just are not the same unique things made to pay tribute to that team like the 75/76 team had. Maybe I am wrong but I don't see that Rose, Bench, Morgan etc playing on the team had that much to do with so much more different and unique items being made than what the 90' team had made.

Maybe there really isn't a reason and thats just the way it was!!
    MLB took a larger control of marketing after free agency started, prior to that it was more of a regional thing when it came to marketing, as evidenced by serving trays, ice buckets and knife in your list. Also note that the majority of the stuff on your list commemorates 2 WS championship seasons, not just one. That sort of thing creates a larger market than a one season surge team does.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    MLB took a larger control of marketing after free agency started, prior to that it was more of a regional thing when it came to marketing, as evidenced by serving trays, ice buckets and knife in your list. Also note that the majority of the stuff on your list commemorates 2 WS championship seasons, not just one. That sort of thing creates a larger market than a one season surge team does.
    So why did MLB want to take a larger control of marketing after free agency? Like everything I assume it centered around money??

So why did MLB want to take a larger control of marketing after free agency? Like everything I assume it centered around money??
    Prior to FA's most owners were just "Baseball" men, around that time when national TV contracts and superstations arose the owners were becoming more savvy, they realized that there were buckets of money to be made and when that starts to happen they reigned in the branding to ensure a tighter control and larger payoff. It became a big business not just a big baseball business.

Nature of the beast.

Similar somewhat to the Crosley video thread, can someone explain why there is so much more memorablia from the BRM days as opposed to the 1990 team? With the BRM we had measuring rulers, RC cans, beer cans, dinner trays, lunch bags, bourbon bottles, key chains, knives, ash trays, drinking glasses etc all paying tribute to the 75 & 76 WS victory, but with the 90' Reds you have very few items commemorating the WS win compared to the BRM.Is it something to do with paying the players for using their image that didn't exist in the mid 70's??
    Sorry to bring back an old thread but I have a collection of Big Red Machine stuff and would like to get some Memorabilia from 1990.

I would say this is my favorite BRM thing that I have.

(Not my actual poster)

I may drive people crazy (hope not) by posting some interesting things I find on CraigsList or EBAY that are currently for sale.
    Note that I do not have any ownership of these ads.

Here is 1990 mirror on CraigsList. I would be interested but seems too far out to go get. $100

http://columbus.craigslist.org/clt/3575214487.html
    Last edited by goreds2; 02-01-2013 at 09:01 PM.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Here is a 1990 mirror in SouthBend IN. for sale. $350

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/clt/3517226987.html

I have this mirror hanging in my office.

It used to hang in a prominate place in my home till I got this thing called a wife.

I have this mirror hanging in my office.

It used to hang in a prominate place in my home till I got this thing called a wife.

Not a bad deal for $400. Usually, it is one seat for that price.

Riverfront Stadium Red Seats (4) - $400 (45238)
    http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/clt/3582302018.html

Turn Off Ads?