Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 70's & 90's Memorabilia

Re: 70's & 90's Memorabilia

I still have this. Heck, I may get my portable record player out opening day and play it on the patio before the game. I have thought about buying one of those album frames and displaying it. (Also have the 1976 season LP)

Again, I have no ownership in these ads. Just thought it would be fun to post the memorabilia I see. Anyone else can post what they see online for sale also.

1975 Cincinnati Reds World Series Record LP... mint like new!! - $20 (Fairfield, ohio)

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/clt/3531138192.html

Last edited by goreds2; 02-03-2013 at 11:15 AM.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    I still have this. Heck, I may get my portable record player out opening day and play it on the patio before the game. I have thought about buying one of those album frames and displaying it. (Also have the 1976 season LP)

Again, I have no ownership in these ads. Just thought it would be fun to post the memorabilia I see. Anyone else can post what they see online for sale also.

1975 Cincinnati Reds World Series Record LP... mint like new!! - $20 (Fairfield, ohio)

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/clt/3531138192.html

I still have this with Marty and Joe's autograph on the back. My oldest brother bought it for me at a record stor in Cincy and they were there signing that day.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I just purchased this 1975 championship beer bucket on EBAY. $31.99 + $7 shipping. Could not resist.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290863079058...84.m1497.l2649

* Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

I think WOY may be right about MLB taking control of the marketing and the team being good for several years in a row and the 90 team kind of sneaking up on people.

The 70s was when all the marketing for sports started. If you went back in a time machine and went to a game in 1967 I think you would see quite a contrast in not only what kind of people went to games but what they wore as well. You may see a kid wear a team hat but no one was wearing team T-Shirts and jerseys. If they had giveaways it certainly wasn't on the scale of what it is today.

Also, during the BRM era, the Reds were very good at marketing their product. It helped that they were one of the best teams in baseball but when you have a good product, marketing it is much better than not marketing it. I would guess the Reds got a cut of most if not all that merchandise. I think we know that after that era and up until about a few years ago, the Reds were not very good at marketing their product for whatever reasons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I think it has to do with licensing, not sure, but just my guess. I collect Reds memorabilia nand have noticed that as well, but I also collect UNC items and have seen that there too. For older teams it seems there was larger variety of items, now seems mostly t-shirts and not as many knick-knack type of things.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Also, during the BRM era, the Reds were very good at marketing their product. It helped that they were one of the best teams in baseball but when you have a good product, marketing it is much better than not marketing it. I would guess the Reds got a cut of most if not all that merchandise. I think we know that after that era and up until about a few years ago, the Reds were not very good at marketing their product for whatever reasons.
    I don't know what happened before the BRM, I was too young, but I remember that the Reds were great at marketing the team.

When I was five, 1971, after the 1970 World Series appearance, we went to Rikes downtown to buy me a new pair of Keds shoes. With each pair of Kids Keds, you got a free Reds T-shirt, and you got to pick which player's name and number to have on the back of it. I picked Bench, since I was five and that was the number on the back. He's been my favorite player ever since.

I also remember in 1976, after the 75 World Series win, we went to Elders where Rose, Morgan and Perez were signing for free if you bought a Reds World Series T-shirt. That was the coolest moment of my then young life, meeting actual Reds players, especially three of the best ones.

I remember being very disappointed that after the 1990 World Series win, the team didn't have promotions like those.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Turn Off Ads?