Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blue Jays sign Alex Gonzales

High five!

Blue Jays sign Alex Gonzales

Reds north! Link:

The Blue Jays signed Alex Gonzalez to a one-year deal, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports. The combination of Gonzalez and John McDonald makes it hard to envision a deal with free agent Marco Scutaro, though the club may still offer arbitration to obtain draft picks for the Type A free agent.

Gonzalez, 32, hit .238/.279/.355 for the Reds and Red Sox last year, but he played tremendous defense, as usual, according to UZR/150. Longtime Blue Jays fans will experience deja vu next year - the other Alex Gonzalez played short for the Jays from 1994-2001.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Blue Jays sign Alex Gonzales

Best of luck to A-Gon.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

High five!

Oddly, the Red Sox are looking at Scutaro now.

Good. I had this fear the Reds would go back to him like they did Ramon. I hate the idea of Janish as the starter, but its better than the idea of Gonzalez as the starter. Maybe Gonzo will find a fountain of youth on Lake Ontario. I hope he does because he seems like a good guy, but I'm glad the Reds moved on.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Maybe we can convince them they need a CF...
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I'm VERY thankful on this Thanksgiving for this move by the Jays.

A-Gon, I wish you, and especially your child, the best of luck.

But the Reds are much better off moving in another direction.

High five!

So the Jays go into 2010 with the left side of the Reds 2009 infield.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Good. I had this fear the Reds would go back to him like they did Ramon. I hate the idea of Janish as the starter, but its better than the idea of Gonzalez as the starter. Maybe Gonzo will find a fountain of youth on Lake Ontario. I hope he does because he seems like a good guy, but I'm glad the Reds moved on.
    Exactly my feelings about this deal.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    So the Jays go into 2010 with the left side of the Reds 2009 infield.
    That's kind of a frightening thought for the Jays offense but better news for the rest of the AL East, LOL

Seriously, lots of luck to Gonzo and his family and I wish him nothing but the best. He's a good guy.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Best of luck to Gonzo. I thought the contract given him by the previous administration was more than generous and we were lucky to get rid of him. I'll take Janish's defense and hope he hits better before I wish Gonzalez back. The Blue Jays now have Gonzo and Edwin and I'm very happy that's it's them and not us.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Oh, yeah? I'll take your CF albatross, and I'll raise you...
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Oddly, the Red Sox are looking at Scutaro now.
    Just saw that the Red Sox apparently told Gonzalez that they would go 1 year at around $3M but weren't prepared to make him a formal offer yet. But I think they might be hoping the whole type A + career year at 34 thing turns Scutaro into the hot potato.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I hear the Jays are looking for a leadoff hitter. Maybe they can refine Taveras?

Nice to see Gonzo still with an AL team where the compensating offense from the DH can allow him to continue to play.

Nice to see Gonzo still with an AL team where the compensating offense from the DH can allow him to continue to play.
    Don't understand the logic. In the NL, the pitcher hits for every team. There's no built-in competitive disadvantage in using players who make up for offensive weakness with good defensive play.

Turn Off Ads?