Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 62 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: The Tiger Woods Saga Thread

Re: Tiger Woods in serious condition after car wreck

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Doesn't matter what you WANT to know. Being a fan does not entitle us to anything. If he gbroke the law, he should be held accountable. If this somehow impacted anyone other than Tiger and/or Elin, then that's also a different story. But it appears thus far that this is something that had nothing to do with anyone else but them. They have every right not to want to make it a public scene. Does the TMZ account seem plausible? Sure. Does that mean we should assume it's the truth? No. I'd be more surprised if a guy like Tiger Woods WASN'T having multiple flings as I would about any well-known professional athlete. But it's still none of our business.
    Where I kind of agree, the fact is that when you become this big people are going to want to know what the story is when a big event like this takes place. Look at when his babies were born. Didn't he publish personal photos of his family shortly after? Is it OK to let fans into your lives when it is a positive time but those same fans need to butt out when something happens that might reflect on you in a negative manner? In a perfect world it would be yes but that is a difficult request.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Doesn't matter what you WANT to know. Being a fan does not entitle us to anything.
    You (and a couple others) keep saying this as though anybody on the thread has demanded some sort of explanation, or has stated they're "entitled" to the truth. In fact, neither of those are true. Most posters on here, like most people I've talked to about it, are simply curious as to what's happened. It's human nature to wonder aloud when someone this prominent and held in such high regard is involved in a situation like this.

Look, I get it, he doesn't have to tell us. It's his private matter. Still doesn't make me wonder any less. And if somebody knows what happened, yeah, I'd like to hear it. If you want to villify me for that, go ahead, I won't object. But there's no need to argue against something nobody's defending.
    Last edited by Screwball; 11-29-2009 at 10:01 PM.

Whether we're entitled or not, the truth will come out. TMZ, et al, will see to that.

I bet a lot of Tiger's sponsors feel entitled to know the truth.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Regardless of who in Tiger's household did what or whether any laws were broken, I doubt that any of us would have the luxury of being able to stiff-arm our local police when they're trying to interview us and investigate something we did. If he gets to play by different rules than we do, it'll drive a wedge into his relationship with the public.
    /r/reds

This can be said...Tiger has gone all in with his statement. If anything in this accident turns out/is proven to be of the "sordid" type, his credibility is gone. That said, with the way he is handled, the only way I see him making a statement as he did today is if his story is airtight in regards to any leaks coming out to the public.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    Regardless of who in Tiger's household did what or whether any laws were broken, I doubt that any of us would have the luxury of being able to stiff-arm our local police when they're trying to interview us and investigate something we did. If he gets to play by different rules than we do, it'll drive a wedge into his relationship with the public.
    I don't think any of us is required to give a statement to police.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...te=fullarticle

If it's not about golf, Tiger Woods owes us no explanation

This is not in the Bill of Rights, but I think all Americans have a right to screw up their own marriages. I don't know if Tiger Woods has exercised that right or not. We might never know. It is, frankly, not our business.

By now, you have surely heard the story: Woods backed out of his driveway late at night, hit a fire hydrant and a tree, and ended up in the hospital. He has facial lacerations that seem to be incongruous for a low-speed accident, unless Tiger is in the habit of shaving after 2 a.m. while backing out of his driveway. The National Enquirer is reporting that Woods has had some weekend pairings with a woman other than his wife Elin. Tiger and Elin have declined repeated requests to talk to the police.

Woods released a statement on his Web site -- his preferred method of communication, which read, in part: "This situation is my fault, and it's obviously embarrassing to my family and me. I'm human and I'm not perfect. I will certainly make sure this doesn't happen again."

It was a clever piece of writing by somebody -- a public-relations flak, a lawyer, maybe both. Woods never really said what the "situation" was. It was a pretty heavy apology for backing into a fire hydrant. Maybe Woods is implying that yes, he did indeed cheat on his wife ... or maybe he isn't. Maybe he hasn't decided what to say.

Let's face it: If you get into a one-car accident outside your house, and you were sober and nobody got seriously injured, there is no reason to avoid the police for three days and tell the world you are "not perfect" and "will certainly make sure this doesn't happen again."

It was half apology, half plea to butt out of his business. And really, it is all that Woods owes the public. Anything else he did (or didn't do) is between him and his family.

You can say that Tiger Woods owes the public an explanation and an apology, since he has sold himself as a family man. But has he, really? His wife never gives interviews. Once in a while, you'll see him give Elin a kiss after he wins a tournament, or you'll see his daughter run onto the 18th green.

Sometimes Tiger will release a family photo or two on his Web site, but he seems to do that mostly to keep the paparazzi at bay. He does not want to create an environment where pictures of his family are so rare that there is a tabloid bidding war for them.

He does not lecture the media about how family is more important than golf. He does not respond to criticism by saying, "Hey, I'm a wonderful father and husband -- why don't you write that?"

He does not tell anybody else how to live. Derek Jeter wrote an inspirational book called "The Life You Imagine." Rick Pitino wrote the self-help book "Success Is A Choice: Ten Steps To Overachieving in Business and Life."

Tiger Woods called his best-selling book "How I Play Golf."

Early in Tiger's career, his father Earl hinted that he was some sort of religious figure, chosen to change the world. But Tiger has never claimed to be anything besides a golfer.

I have followed Woods from inside the ropes for at least a dozen rounds in his career. (It's a tough job, but somebody has to do it.) People shout his name and he doesn't even twitch. They ask for autographs and he does not even shake his head no -- he just keeps walking.

If people have decided that Tiger Woods is a wonderful human being, it is mostly because he has given them no reason to think otherwise.

Mostly, Tiger Woods just wants to win every tournament he plays, make all the money that goes with it, then live as privately (and luxuriously) as he can. You can wonder if he is a good husband. You can wonder what happened in his house this weekend. You can wonder if the National Enquirer is right. Or you can think about the only thing that Tiger Woods has ever really cared to show the world: how he plays golf.

The cops have upped the ante. Now they are trying to get a subpoena for hospital records to see if the injuries Tiger suffered were from the wreck or his wife.

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=4699907
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    The cops have upped the ante. Now they are trying to get a subpoena for hospital records to see if the injuries Tiger suffered were from the wreck or his wife.

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=4699907
    Not suprised. If Tiger wants to do things the hard way, they are going to play ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    Not suprised. If Tiger wants to do things the hard way, they are going to play ball.
    This is idiotic. But I think like Plaxico Burress, Tiger's celebrity is going to work against him.

Basically the only law Tiger broke was running over the fire hydrant. He gets a ticket for reckless driving, maybe he has to go to Blockbuster and pick up one of those defensive driving classes(and pass the oh so hard test at the end) but basically this is not something the police need to investigate. But rather than look like they're intimidated by el Tigre, they feel like they have to now look into things further.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    This is idiotic. But I think like Plaxico Burress, Tiger's celebrity is going to work against him.

Basically the only law Tiger broke was running over the fire hydrant. He gets a ticket for reckless driving, maybe he has to go to Blockbuster and pick up one of those defensive driving classes(and pass the oh so hard test at the end) but basically this is not something the police need to investigate. But rather than look like they're intimidated by el Tigre, they feel like they have to now look into things further.
    If they suspect domestic violence, don't they have to investigate?

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    If they suspect domestic violence, don't they have to investigate?
    Yes. If they have probale cause, his wife can be arrested without Tiger pressing charges as well. Police have a lot of wiggle room in domestic cases.

He wouldn't get a reckless driving charge, if anything it would be failure to control.

Seems like Tiger shouldn't have cancelled his police interviews. A plausible story that was halfway true plus a nice donation to the policeman's ball probably would have put an end to it.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Entitled has been a key word in this thread. Does anyone think Tiger and his wife are entitled to cover up domestic violence? Not saying it happened, but if it did, is his stonewalling ok?

Why does all of this seem to be coming with a negative connotation toward Tiger? So worst case his wife is nuts and beat the crap out of him? That's his fault?

Turn Off Ads?