Turn Off Ads?
Page 33 of 62 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast

Thread: The Tiger Woods Saga Thread

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Re: The Tiger Woods Saga Thread

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    That's the problem with crafting yourself into an idol. People worship you, then turn on you when you prove unable to match the image created. If he wanted left alone, he should not have made himself into an image to be worshiped, adored, and have oodles of money thrown at. His image included it all, not just golfing prowess.
    I don't really see where Tiger crafted himself into an idol, unless you're applying that definition to everyone who endorses stuff. He was a champion golfer; he endorsed products where his image as a champion golfer came in handy. He certainly made a lot of money because people idolized him, so yeah, I guess he went along with the charade. But ultimately, the problem is with the idolizers, not the idolized. Anyone who extrapolates human perfection from the ability to hit a one-iron fade pretty much deserves the eventual letdown they'll get.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    See, that's where I differ.

He IS a public figure. Maybe that's not the same as public official, but it's close. He's putting his face and image on products WE buy, every day. Driven down our throat.

The media coverage is WAY over the top, and I stopped caring about it a while ago.

But when you live the lifestyle Tiger lives, you take the good with the bad.

He's damn near a billionaire, and he's used his name to make millions upon millions of dollars.

It's only natural that when he slips up like this, it's going to be huge news.
    ^^^^
    This x 10.

Looks like he did take PED's after all, it sure unraveled fast for this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    I don't really see where Tiger crafted himself into an idol, unless you're applying that definition to everyone who endorses stuff.
    You don't? How 'bout the fact that he makes more than any other athlete endorsing products? Even more than Jordan. If he wants to get out of the idol business he can opt out of his endorsement deals and just play golf. Until he does that, he deserves all this scrutiny

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    You don't? How 'bout the fact that he makes more than any other athlete endorsing products? Even more than Jordan. If he wants to get out of the idol business he can opt out of his endorsement deals and just play golf. Until he does that, he deserves all this scrutiny
    No, I don't, but then, I'm a grownup who doesn't run out and buy Nike golf clubs because Tiger Woods tells me I should.

I don't dispute Tiger's cashed in on his fame. Cashed in extraordinarily. But still, he's a golfer. To the extent he's "idolized," it's for the way he plays golf, or it should be. If anyone idolized him for anything beyond that, that's a Them Problem.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    See, that's where I differ.

He IS a public figure. Maybe that's not the same as public official, but it's close. He's putting his face and image on products WE buy, every day. Driven down our throat.

The media coverage is WAY over the top, and I stopped caring about it a while ago.

But when you live the lifestyle Tiger lives, you take the good with the bad.

He's damn near a billionaire, and he's used his name to make millions upon millions of dollars.

It's only natural that when he slips up like this, it's going to be huge news.
    I couldn't tell you anything besides Buick and razors that he endorses, what am I missing?

I need more stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I couldn't tell you anything besides Buick and razors that he endorses, what am I missing?

I need more stuff.
    He's still using his face, and his game, to sell products. Whether it's two products or 100 products.

I don't agree with what the media is doing, or society for that matter. The guy is clearly down right now, and he's getting kicked repeatedly. I can't say that I'm ok with that, regardless of his transgressions.

But I understand WHY it's happening. It's the nature of the beast. If he worked on being a better human being, he wouldn't have to worry about all of this.

I need more stuff.
    Nike says hello

Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

I need more stuff.
    Nike.

Tiger Woods is as important to Nike's $500M golf divisions as Michael Jordan was to Nike during his prime. Nike's golf division was nothing before they inked Tiger to a contract. Their clubs were awful, their golf balls were bad, their equipment was bad. Now everyone who follows any sport knows what color and brand Tiger wears on Sunday. They know what logo is on his hat. Without Tiger nike's golf brand is nothing, with Tiger it is a $.5B operation.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Nike says hello

Oh... GOLF stuff.

I don't golf, and I wear Pumas and Chuck taylors.....what else can he shove down my throat?

BTW the Nike campus is unbelievable, and you will get kicked off their courts if you wear Adias

Chuck taylors? Wow.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burton View Post
    Looks like he did take PED's after all, it sure unraveled fast for this guy.
    His agent, Mark Steinberg's been chirping a ton today distancing Tiger from that doc.

Pretty shoddy reporting by the New York Times, if you ask me.

It's possible that Tiger took something to speed up his knee recovery, but let's not stamp him guilty quite yet.

Oh... GOLF stuff.

I don't golf, and I wear Pumas and Chuck taylors....
    Reminds me of spot bilts...and look, another fallen sports hero!

btw- this is in no way meant to be a comparison of Tiger and OJ. Unless Tiger kills his wife and a friend of hers.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

I need more stuff.
    Nike
    Tag Heuer
    AT&T
    EA Sports
    Golf Digest
    NetJets
    Tatweer: The Tiger Woods Dubai
    TLC Laser Eye Centers
    Upper Deck

He was dropped from Gatorade and Accenture within the past few days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Nike
    Tag Heuer
    AT&T
    EA Sports
    Golf Digest
    NetJets
    Tatweer: The Tiger Woods Dubai
    TLC Laser Eye Centers
    Upper Deck

He was dropped from Gatorade and Accenture within the past few days.
    Never have worn a watch, have sprint, don't play video games, don't golf, not a private jet sort of guy, Dubaii is too pricey, Don't need glasses, Golf Cards? Ummm Ok....

Looks like he sells stuff to kids and really rich guys, alas neither is my demographic.

Turn Off Ads?