Turn Off Ads?
Page 57 of 62 FirstFirst ... 747535455565758596061 ... LastLast

Thread: The Tiger Woods Saga Thread

Re: The Tiger Woods Saga Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    The reports of her getting $750M were erroneous. She's only getting $100M.

http://dimewars.com/Blog/Elin-Nordeg...0-fafad4967cd0
    I wonder if her silence is still part of the deal.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

I don't know, having like 20 extramarital affairs IS being a sexual deviant. Could it really going to get dramatically worse?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

However much Elin's been paid to be silent, it's hard to believe that something isn't going to break about this from somebody.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I don't know, having like 20 extramarital affairs IS being a sexual deviant. Could it really going to get dramatically worse?

Deviant? Really?

Bad judgment, ok. No respect for his marriage vows, fine.

I don't get the deviant thing just from having affairs. If there's more going on we haven't heard about, that's different.

Had he been a single man, would anyone consider him a deviant?
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post

Had he been a single man, would anyone consider him a deviant?
    No. Then he would be Derek Jeter.

How do you guys see the rest of Tiger's career playing out. If he doesn't win one of the next few majors, suddenly he's gonna be behind the curve in terms of catching Jack. Don't get me wrong, I'm not writing him off at all...but I'm not impressed in the least with his performances over the past few months.

I think he'll still easily break the record. People forget that he won 6 times just last year. Before this year he had won 25 of his last 54 events he entered. He's played 6 times this year only while his entire personal world is falling apart around him. And in 2 of the 3 majors he was in the top 4. The storeis of his demise are greatly exaggerated, IMO.

I predict that once his personal issues are resolved one way or the other, we're going to see Tiger go on another one of his tears where he wins everything for a year or two.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I think he'll still easily break the record. People forget that he won 6 times just last year. Before this year he had won 25 of his last 54 events he entered. He's played 6 times this year only while his entire personal world is falling apart around him. And in 2 of the 3 majors he was in the top 4. The storeis of his demise are greatly exaggerated, IMO.

I predict that once his personal issues are resolved one way or the other, we're going to see Tiger go on another one of his tears where he wins everything for a year or two.
    I could see it going either way, so you won't get an argument from me. However, since January 2007, he has won just 2 majors. This will be the worst 4 year stretch of his career with regards to winning majors...couple that with his most serious injury, couple that with his recent infamy...I just think it is going to be tougher than many think to reach the Golden Bear. If he wins one or two majors in the next 12 months he'll be back on track...but if not, it is extremely rare to win a major past the age of 40.

I guess my point is the clock is running faster than many think.

Sure, it's not a given, but I'd still be surprised. With his age, he's got another 10 years of legit majors he'll be a favorite. People forget that even Jack had similar stretchs in his career. He went 3 years with no majors at one point before winning 5 in the next 3 years. And it was 10 majors between when he won his 10th and 11th, and another 8 until his 12th. Last year was the first time he didn't win a major in 5 years. But even then, he was 2nd (when he should have won) and 6th twice. This year he was 4th in two of them with his personal life in shambles. When Tiger wins them, he wins them in bunches.

Sure, it's not automatic, but I just can't imagine him not winnign 4 more over the next decade. He's still the same guy. He's not going to struggle like this forever. With what's going on in his life right now, I don't see how he plays at all. I think he should have just taken the year off. But to think this is the new Tiger is way off, IMO.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Sure, it's not a given, but I'd still be surprised. With his age, he's got another 10 years of legit majors he'll be a favorite. People forget that even Jack had similar stretchs in his career. He went 3 years with no majors at one point before winning 5 in the next 3 years. And it was 10 majors between when he won his 10th and 11th, and another 8 until his 12th. Last year was the first time he didn't win a major in 5 years. But even then, he was 2nd (when he should have won) and 6th twice. This year he was 4th in two of them with his personal life in shambles. When Tiger wins them, he wins them in bunches.

Sure, it's not automatic, but I just can't imagine him not winnign 4 more over the next decade. He's still the same guy. He's not going to struggle like this forever. With what's going on in his life right now, I don't see how he plays at all. I think he should have just taken the year off. But to think this is the new Tiger is way off, IMO.
    At this age though, Tiger and Jack had won the same amount of majors...now Tiger does have 3 years to win number 15 to stay on track with Jack.

If I was a betting man, I'd say Tiger wins more than Jack when it is all settled. However I think the days of Tiger winning 3 of 4 majors in a year are all in the past. I say he goes back to the pack, becoming more Mickelson-esque, you might say.

Again, I think that's an extreme exaggeration to think he's going to be more Mickelson-esque. I go back to a single season ago when he won 6 times after coming off radical reconstructive surgery of his knee. The year before that he won 4 times in only a handful starts because ofthe injury. The 3 years before that he won 7, 8, and 6 times - and he never plays more than 16-17 times a year.

We're less than a year later and after all that, he's played 6 times this year, with 2 top 4 finishes and people think he's never going to be the same. I just don't get that. It's possible that he'll never be the same, but to think that's the likliest scenario after only 6 tournaments just doesn't compute to me. People have suggested similar things in the past when Tiger has gone through down stretches, like 98 and early 99, and again in 2004, but thinking it's more than a bump in teh road seems to me to miss what it is that has made Tiger so dominant. Those characteristics don't go away.

But regardless, it's still speculation on either end. I would be surprised if he doesn't climb back on top, but it's not out of the realm of possibility that the Tiger we've known is on his way out.
    Last edited by MWM; 07-18-2010 at 08:11 PM.

Tiger on the course at Firestone right now and is +3 through his first five holes and nine shots off the lead. Now there is obviously a lot of golf to be played, but at some point this has to get a little concerning for Tiger.

Tiger just finished up Rd 1 at +4 and in a tie for 70th place. Only 10 shots back of Bubba Watson. BTW Tiger has won 7 or the last 10 times he's played here.

I watched a last night on from the DVR. Tiger's still struggling. It still boggles my mind that he still has his shoulders wide open at address. When watching this weekend, notice how is feet are aimed/aligned down the center of the fairway or thereabouts, and his shoulders are aimed way left. His body is all out of sorts. Setting up misaligned this poorly makes it much more difficult to hit good shots. If I were to give him a lesson, I'd square him up and tell him to hit a bunch of draws instead of this hold-off slap fade he tries to play. It's so ugly.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    I watched a last night on from the DVR. Tiger's still struggling. It still boggles my mind that he still has his shoulders wide open at address. When watching this weekend, notice how is feet are aimed/aligned down the center of the fairway or thereabouts, and his shoulders are aimed way left. His body is all out of sorts. Setting up misaligned this poorly makes it much more difficult to hit good shots. If I were to give him a lesson, I'd square him up and tell him to hit a bunch of draws instead of this hold-off slap fade he tries to play. It's so ugly.
    Could it be camera angles?

I haven't watched Tiger play much with the exception of the majors. Lets not forget that any other player in the world not named Tiger or Phil would be perfectly happy with Tiger's finishes in the majors. But then again Tiger has set the bar very high that just coming in the top 10 isn't enough.

When I see him play he just looks like a beaten man. He doesn't have that "it" factor. He doesn't have that ability to will in puts, to hit shots that no one else in the world can hit. He doesn't have that cut throat attitude that made him so great. Tiger needs to quite worrying about what everyone thinks of him and go back to his arrogant, a-holish old self that had a distinct advantage every time he stepped on the course.

Turn Off Ads?