Turn Off Ads?
Page 50 of 62 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460 ... LastLast

Thread: The Tiger Woods Saga Thread

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Re: The Tiger Woods Saga Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    ESPN has it on Thursday and Friday. Do they get that much time as well or more?
    I think it's the same.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

2. Turn Off Ads?

Everyone remember to tune into South Park tonight!

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Everyone remember to tune into South Park tonight!
    I wonder if they will take the "everybody should mind their own business" route or the "Tiger is a scum human being" route?

Hopefully they show 'what really happened' the night Tiger's old lady went after him with a golf club.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Hopefully they show 'what really happened' the night Tiger's old lady went after him with a golf club.
    9-iron upside the head. Direct hit.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burton View Post
    I wonder if they will take the "everybody should mind their own business" route or the "Tiger is a scum human being" route?
    "Tiger is scum". Trey and Matt love to carve up celebs.

Sex addiction epidemic.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    "Tiger is scum". Trey and Matt love to carve up celebs.
    Wasn't overly impressed with the episode, and it is likely to ignite a racial firestorm over the chimpanzee scene.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Wasn't overly impressed with the episode, and it is likely to ignite a racial firestorm over the chimpanzee scene.
    I'm not looking out for those things, but I didn't see anything racial about that scene...but I'm a simple guy.

It does seem like they couldn't make up their mind whether or not to go full speed ahead mocking Tiger...I mean turning his Thanksgiving incident into a video game got a chuckle but it wasn't exactly inspired comedy. I did enjoy their play on people wondering why men would want to engage in such behavior...well done on that.

And Butters...well he was just...Butters.

I believe Tiger chose the Masters as his first event back because of the crowd there. They will be, by far, the most courteous and least abrasive gallery he will see for quite a long time. He won't have to listen to the ongoing parade of drunken louts who are forming a conga line to follow him everywhere else he'll play this year.

Trash talk isn't allowed at Augusta. The fear of losing your badge will stop all the patrons from acting up.

That won't happen anywhere else.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    I believe Tiger chose the Masters as his first event back because of the crowd there. They will be, by far, the most courteous and least abrasive gallery he will see for quite a long time. He won't have to listen to the ongoing parade of drunken louts who are forming a conga line to follow him everywhere else he'll play this year.

Trash talk isn't allowed at Augusta. The fear of losing your badge will stop all the patrons from acting up.

Also, no media in the clubhouse or on the driving range.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post

Agreed. This also sets a precedence of sorts, for how Tiger will be treated by fans (monkey see, monkey do). I think another tournament might be a bit more contentious and set a completely different precedence.

GL

Good point GL. Precedence is big, but also the fact that by the second tournament it'll be a little bit more 'old news'.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    Agreed. This also sets a precedence of sorts, for how Tiger will be treated by fans (monkey see, monkey do). I think another tournament might be a bit more contentious and set a completely different precedence.

GL
    It's just a shame he didn't return to the Phoenix Open.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

For those of you who did not already understand the Tiger Woods PR machine, Jason Whitlock offered a fairly nice summary of what has transpired with his interview during the last 24 hours:

http://msn.foxsports.com/golf/story/...still-a-player

Judging by what he pulled off Sunday, it wouldn’t surprise me if Tiger spent 45 days holed up with Hugh Hefner, Snoop Dogg and Iceberg Slim, taking a refresher course in the pimp game. It ain’t easy.

During the NCAA tournament’s opening weekend and on the day our lawmakers’ televised wrestling over health care reform captivated us, Tiger sauntered out from his lair and granted separate five-minute, no-questions-barred interviews to ESPN and the Golf Channel.

That’s smooth. His timing was immaculate. Because of the House’s passage of HCR, it would be tough for any reputable newspaper to play Tiger’s interviews on the front page. Sports pages, web sites and blogs will have difficulty playing Tiger’s interviews as their lead story over the NCAA tournament. The cable news networks, the referees of the Democrats' and Republicans’ Health Care Smackdown, barely had room to mention Woods.

It was difficult for me to manage the energy to be all that interested in what Tiger had to say. I was worn out by the tournament and fascinated by the political maneuverings. There was no room for Tiger in my brain.

He knew it. He dictated the length of the interviews and when they’d run. He gave Tom Rinaldi and Kelly Tilghman approximately five minutes and demanded the networks not air the interview until 7:30 p.m.

He pitted ESPN and the Golf Channel against each other. Neither network had the courage to follow CBS’s commendable decision to pass on the interview. Surely the executives at ESPN and the Golf Channel realized what Tiger was doing, burying what would normally be a significant news story underneath March Madness and Political Partisanship.

Of course, I blame ESPN more than the Golf Channel, which doesn’t pretend to be an instrument of journalism. ESPN could’ve easily taken the journalistic high road and published a story about Woods and his handlers’ manipulation of the news.

Instead, the Associated Press broke the story of ESPN’s interview and the details of the confidential agreement that delivered Woods to TV on Sunday.

It was a brilliant move by Woods, my favorite athlete. It’s exactly what I would’ve done in his situation.

Turn Off Ads?