Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 62 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060 ... LastLast

Thread: The Tiger Woods Saga Thread

Re: Tiger Woods in serious condition after car wreck

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    but we're kidding ourselves if we think it's remotely the same for a guy like Tiger Woods.
    which is why he would have to hyper-vigilant to not get into compromising situations.

In the end it comes down to being either self-centered or selfless. If one keep others in the forefront of their mind (rather than focusing on their wants ) it is a lot easier to keep from making poor choices.

I have to tell myself everyday that it isn't all about me (maybe it should be ).

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I still don't get why his private life is so interesting to so many. Certainly there isn't a compelling argument that we (the public) deserve to know details of his private life.
    The very nature of gossip/tabloids is that you're learning/seeing something you shouldn't be able to. That's part of the appeal.

Think of the Erin Andrews peephole saga. You're telling me you couldn't find better things to look at on the internet than a grainy video of a sportscaster who is good looking but certainly not other worldly?

The fact that you shouldn't be seeing it is almost the entire fascination.

The fact that you have no right to know what is going on in Tiger Woods' marriage or with the neighbors' kid who's going to get caught smoking weed, or with your bosses ex-wife but yet because of (nosy neighbor or TMZ.com or the National Enquirer) you do get to find all of these things out.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

I still don't get why his private life is so interesting to so many. Certainly there isn't a compelling argument that we (the public) deserve to know details of his private life.

We don't deserve to know anything. But we want to know about famous people whether they be politicians, entertainers, athletes or reality show performers. We want to know what they are like, what breakfast cereal they eat, what clothes they wear, what car they drive, who they date, etc. Tell me you don't want to know all about Raisor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Here seems to be a summary:

1) The National Inquirer accused Woods of having an affair last week and since then, the woman said to be involved has categorically denied the accusation and has hired an attorney known for crucifying rags like TNI for their journalistic licenses....

2) Woods had a minor accident in his driveway.

3) Woods complied completely with the police concerning his legal obligations regarding the accident.

4) Alcohol (and presumably drugs) have been ruled out as a component of the accident.

5) There is no evidence to support domestic abuse or even to support further inquiry into that line of investigation.

6) Tiger Woods has to pay a fine and there is no longer any question as to whether he has a clean driving record or not.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    We don't deserve to know anything. But we want to know about famous people whether they be politicians, entertainers, athletes or reality show performers. We want to know what they are like, what breakfast cereal they eat, what clothes they wear, what car they drive, who they date, etc. Tell me you don't want to know all about Raisor.
    I keep waiting for the autobiography but earning nobel prizes seems to distract him from his memoirs....
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

I keep waiting for the autobiography but earning nobel prizes seems to distract him from his memoirs....

It's the price of greatness.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Now there's an idea.

1) The National Inquirer accused Woods of having an affair last week and since then, the woman said to be involved has categorically denied the accusation and has hired an attorney known for crucifying rags like TNI for their journalistic licenses....

3) Woods complied completely with the police concerning his legal obligations regarding the accident.

4) Alcohol (and presumably drugs) have been ruled out as a component of the accident.

5) There is no evidence to support domestic abuse or even to support further inquiry into that line of investigation.

6) Tiger Woods has to pay a fine and there is no longer any question as to whether he has a clean driving record or not.
    A summary by Woods' publicist perhaps. The common sense summary would read a bit differently.

There is nothing but circumstantial evidence to support domestic abuse. There is some of that, but not a ton.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I take my wedding vows very seriously too. But I'm also realistic to know that if I was constantly bombarded with gorgeous women more than willing to jump my bones just because of who I was that it would be EXTREMELY difficult to turn it away forever. It's easy to sit here on a site like this and talk about how we'd never cheat on our spouse and how we're committed to our vows, but we're kidding ourselves if we think it's remotely the same for a guy like Tiger Woods.
    But you must admit that he opened up his private life to the public when (if?) he opened up his bed to someone other than his wife.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Tiger Woods told his wife that she ruined their Thanksgiving
    and stormed out of their house before crashing his car early Friday, RadarOnline.com is reporting exclusively.
    I think I know what happened. Tiger was on the phone with Stevie and he was telling Stevie how thankful he was for all the booty he'd gotten this year and he didn't realize that Elin was listening in. He then tried to explain that he and Stevie were just pretending to be pirates, she didn't buy it and chased him out of the house with his 9-Iron. He ran to the Escalade yelling "You ruined Thanksgiving!!" and drove into the fire hydrant and tree.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

http://joeposnanski.com/JoeBlog/2009...e-tiger-trail/

This is going to sound very, very wrong … because, well, it is very, very wrong. But I’m sorry. I’ll admit this straight out: I am fascinated by this Tiger Woods accident story. I’m fascinated, and I’m paying close attention, and I will read whatever stories come out about it. Sure, I know it’s wrong. I know it’s gossip. I know it’s rubbernecking on a highway. I know. Tiger Woods and his family deserve some privacy in their lives. They should have the right to go on without having to share the most personal details of their lives. They should not have to deal with reporters and photographers stalking them. And so on. I believe these things with all my heart.

And still … I’ll read every word. I cannot help myself. I’m dying to know. But I suppose I should clarify — I’m not dying to know what really happened that night. I have a pretty good guess at that. No, I’m dying to know how Tiger Woods and his people are going to handle all this.

See, here’s the thing: Someday, mankind will invent a robot that can make birdies on every hole. I have no doubt in my mind about this. I don’t believe it will ever be fun to watch robots play football or baseball or basketball — there’s something physical about those sports that craves humanity. But golf is different. Because in golf, reaching a robotic level of perfection is the ultimate goal (see Hogan, Ben). Can you repeat your swing under pressure? Can you read the wind? Can you read the greens? Can you drain all the emotions from your body and make the big putt on the 18th green? These are the traits of the super-robot — and even now now the mind can imagine a golf-playing robot that will repeat the perfect swing every time, calculate the wind perfectly and will be have the sensors necessary to read every blade of grass on the green.

I believe that golf robot will be built sometime in the next 20 years, I really do. And, beyond the initial curiosity, I know that won’t care about it. I won’t have any interest in watching that robot stripe drive after drive, hit perfect shot after perfect shot, make putt after putt — it seems to me that’s not the interesting part of watching golf. The interesting part is the human part. The interesting part is watching Jean van de Velde blow up on 18. The interesting part is Arnold Palmer charging on the back nine. The interesting part is Tom Watson coming to 18 with a chance to pull off the greatest triumph in golf history and hitting his approach shot TOO WELL (is there another sport where doing something too well hurts you?). The interesting part is a 10-year-old boy with a poster of Jack Nicklaus on his wall and a dream of one day winning more major championships than Jack did.

That 10-year-old became Tiger Woods, and he has made his life mission — at least his public life mission — to (1) Win those 19 professional major championships; (2) Make a billion dollars; (3) Make sure people know as little about him as possible.

These are all perfectly reasonable goals, though they can conflict. Golf, we are told, is the most illuminating of sports. Corporate types talk all the time about how they want to play golf with clients or business partners or employees or adversaries in order to measure them — golf (they say) can tell you about a person’s composure, a person’s decision making skills, a person’s level of daring and so on. Billions of people have watched Tiger Woods play golf under the most extreme pressures, so you would think we have learned some things. And we have. He’s damned good at golf. Also, he swears a lot.

Then, for an athlete like Tiger Woods to make billions of dollars he needs to be in the public eye, as a spokesman for a company, as a star of commercials, as a person people can believe in and even love. You would think the person would need to show a little bit of himself — even if it’s fake and just a persona. People who knew Johnny Carson would often say he was nothing at all like the person who hosted the Tonight Show. That was a character he played when the camera lights popped on, night after night after night.

But Woods — well, remarkably, he really has not even created a public character for himself. He is, instead, a blank slate. People talk about how Michael Jordan was the first to create that blank slate — the “I am whatever you want me to be” form of sports celebrity — but I never thought that was quite true. Jordan had a persona — as a wisecracking basketball player who was not trying to change the world but was instead perfectly content to joke around with Spike Lee, play in a movie with Bugs Bunny and cut your heart out with a big shot in the final seconds. Later, he had the weird baseball period of his career*, and the gambling stories emerged, and he could not walk away from basketball, and he had that sad Hall of Fame speech. But the sense in his prime was that people KNEW Michael Jordan, even if they didn’t really know him at all.

*I know people have made fun of Michael Jordan as baseball player — and others were wildly offended by it — but I always loved that Jordan tried it. I don’t know all the reasons he did … maybe some of the conspiracy theories about it are true. But it seems clear that he wanted to see if he was good enough to play ball at the highest level. I think that’s a very human thing. Jordan was not good enough, or he started too late, or whatever. But he tried. And when I think back on Michael Jordan’s career, it’s probably my favorite thing about him.

Tiger is different. I don’t think anyone beyond his close circle really feels like they know Tiger Woods. And maybe even those people don’t know. Is he funny? Some say yes, but I’ve never really heard him say anything especially funny. Does he like talking about politics? Movies? Sports? Can he tell a story? Is he a good listener? Does he have interesting thoughts about faith? Does he get on the floor and play with his kids? Which Austin Powers movie did he think was funniest? Any of them? Is he happy or unhappy with the direction they are taking Jim and Pam on The Office? Does he put money on Free Parking when he’s playing Monopoly? Does he park near the entrance or exit when going to a Target? Who does he think writes better, Delillo, McCarthy or McDermott?

We don’t know. We know he was raised to play golf. We know he plays it better than anyone in the world. We know that he does not like cameras clicking during his backswing, and he has a remarkable ability to get himself out of golf danger, and he does not miss many important putts. We know he married a Swedish model, and they have two cute kids and a couple of dogs. We know that he is friends with Roger Federer, though what this means is really anyone’s guess since Federer is not exactly an open book himself.

Beyond these few tidbits, you can go to Tiger’s Web site and go to the “Did you know” section to find out more juicy details such as:

– Tiger’s alarm clock is set up at 5 a.m. sharp.*

*Do we really need the word “sharp” there? Do people often set their alarm clocks at 5:03 a.m.? The other day, we bought some oranges in Florida, and the salesman told us they were “completely seedless.” Did I need the word completely? How useful would “almost completely seedless” oranges be?

– His inspirations are his parents and Nelson Mandela. Think about how much inspiration there will be in the air if he takes his mother to see the movie “Invictus?”

– His perfect day would be a day he surfed, skied, played golf and went spear fishing. All in one day. So in other words, Tiger Woods perfect day is … pretty much any day he wants.

– His biggest challenge is to become a better person tomorrow.

– His favorite soundtrack — and this is by far my favorite answer — is “anything from ‘80s and early ‘90s.” I mean, you’re not even trying now. Really? ANYTHING from the ‘80s or early ‘90s would be his favorite soundtrack. “Hey, what’s your favorite soundtrack?” “Oh, I don’t know, it’s like ‘Purple Rain’ or ‘Weird Science” or ‘Amadeus’ or ‘Electric Boogaloo’ or ‘Chariots of Fire’ or ‘Eddie and the Cruisers’ or ‘Schindler’s List,’ or, you know, the music from that one with the guy from that thing, you remember?” … Plus, what kind of question is that in the first place. Your favorite soundtrack?

Point is: Tiger’s life is not any of your business or my business or anyone else’s business. And that’s cool. That’s his right. But, here’s the thing: He plays golf. He does commercials. And people still want to know. We want to know because we are invested in him. We won’t spend hours and hours on weekends watching the birdie-making computer play golf. We won’t buy Cadillacs because the robot drives them. We won’t care if he uses the American Express card. We won’t point the robot out to our children. We won’t be put little furry robots on our drivers.

I suppose that Tiger Woods is as good at playing golf as anyone in the world is at doing what they do. He is as good at golf as Springsteen is at performing, as Auster is at writing, as Streep is at acting, as Jobs is at predicting the next big thing. But it’s the humanness behind all that that makes him interesting. How does someone get so good at something.

All of which brings us back to the beginning: Earlier this week, word spread that Tiger Woods was in a car accident. At first, I guess, there were all these rumors about it being serious and so on. Soon, though, it became apparent that it was not too serious. And then a few details leaked out. Nobody could be too sure about the details — but the reports said that Woods was out at 2:30 a.m., the one-car accident was near his house, there was no alcohol involved. Weird. Then, more details, apparently his wife Elin was the first to the scene — she heard the accident — and she saved him by pulling him from the car. And then, word emerged that she had pulled him from the car after breaking a back car window with a golf club. Maybe both back car windows. Reports conflicted.

And then, police were asked to come back to talk to Tiger later because he was sleeping. When they came back the next day, they were told to wait another day. When the came back the next day, they were told Tiger was not talking.

Oh yeah — this should probably be mentioned too: There was a report in the National Enquirer just two days earlier (and it’s the National Enquirer, so you can make your own judgments) — that Tiger Woods was caught cheating with Rachel Uchitel, who, the Enquirer so eloquently called “The New York City party girl.”* The party girl has denied it, but yeah, that is in the air too.

*I like this part too, from their follow up story: “The Enquirer’s blockbuster cover story was verified with polygraphs, multiple sources and an on-the-record interview with one of Rachel’s friends.” Polygraphs? Really?

To be honest, I don’t find much of this too interesting. I can probably piece together in my mind a version of what happened that night. Maybe it’s right, maybe it’s wrong, but I just tend to make presumptions about 2:30 a.m. car accidents with windows broken by wives swinging golf clubs shortly after the National Enquirer claims the husband had an affair. It’s one of my many flaws. Anyway, I try not to make judgments about how people I don’t know live their lives. I have enough work to do back home.

What I do find interesting — endlessly interesting — is how Tiger Woods handles this. He has always been able to so carefully control his image. And now, well, this is out of his control. And he knows it. Sure, he can ask for privacy — as he did in a statement on his Web site — but he must know that for this is public gruel now. This is the first time in a long time that something big about Tiger Woods has been revealed without Tiger Woods officially endorsing it. And when it comes to the world’s greatest golfer, people will grab for something real.

That’s the weird part of the media world today. There are voices attacking us from all sides. There is more coverage of sports and politics and entertainment and business and everything else than ever before. But so little of it is real. So little of it has any substance, any meaning. “What’s your favorite sountrack?” “Oh, anything from the ‘80s or early ‘90s.” Just like that.

Well, here was this moment in Tiger Woods’ life, a painful moment, an intensely private moment that ran naked into the public square. Something real. So now what? How will he handle this? What will we learn about him in the process? Will he stick with the wife-saved-him-with-golf-clubs story? Will he pretend it never happened? Will he sue the National Enquirer? Will he go on Oprah? What does Tiger Woods do when the story gets away from him?

I know I shouldn’t — but I’ll be following along.

How many times has TMZ gotten their stories wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    But you must admit that he opened up his private life to the public when (if?) he opened up his bed to someone other than his wife.
    Sure. These guys know that there's a good chance the time will come when one of these women will come forward for and spill the beans. It's not that I feel bad for him if it happens, I don't. It's just that it doesn't change my perception of them and I can't judge them for something MOST men would find difficult avoiding.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Runs into a fire hydrant and a tree? Can't even make it out of your own driveway? Obviously there is more to this story. Were any sobriety tests done at the hospital? The Florida Highway Patrol comes out looking like fools on this one.

Turn Off Ads?