Turn Off Ads?
Page 19 of 62 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: The Tiger Woods Saga Thread

Re: Tiger Woods in serious condition after car wreck

Tiger was found shoeless and snoring after the crash.

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=4712889

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Retired

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Tiger was found shoeless and snoring after the crash.

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=4712889
    He was worn out from all those girlfriends, needed a nap.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Again Dom, you are being unfair. I never ever said lets forget everything else Tiger has done. You know what...Tiger is a great humanitarian. I believe that as well. Yes I labeled him...shoot me
    You said he was a sleazebag, and I was just pointing out that he's also lots of other things. MWM was saying the same thing, and it seemed to me you were taking that message and saying that MWM was saying it is okay to cheat.

It's an awful thing he did, but it's really none of my business.

You say celebrities should expect the coverage- I agree with that, but they shouldn't rightfully expect it.

It says more about us, as a people, that our curiosity is worth payouts to people so we can hear more about things that are not our business.

If wedding vows are so sacred, then two people deserve for us to look the other way, in spite of the fact that they are famous.

A show like The Insider with all these hosts acting like they are self-righteous, passing judgment on someone- I would love to open their closet up, talk about it on national television. I deserve to know who they slept with, what vows they broke, because, they are famous and I know their names. I need to know all the details because the world needs to condemn such things for everyone to see. It makes us feel better or something.

There was a girl from TMZ one might calling Leann Rimes a cheater- just bashing her. And I"m thinking, that's great coming from someone who takes money from a show who does nothing but follows around famous people in hopes they say something bad or scandalous. Yeah, who's the moron?

Our local television anchor here had a huge affair scandal, of which she refused to comment on.

And she reports on Tiger Woods story with a straight face.

I"m over the gossip, the finger pointing. Tiger is going to pay enough of a price without having a bunch of people who lead imperfect lives rail on about his imperfections, while everything they do is in private.

These people talak about how Tiger should do what's best for his children, when it doesn't dawn on them that talking about it for hours on end on national television might not be the best thing for them, either. They can't help themselves.
    Last edited by Dom Heffner; 12-04-2009 at 12:58 PM.

Tiger snores, too? What a jerk.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    You said he was a sleazebag, and I was just pointing out that he's also lots of other things.

When you screw up, what are you?
    I absolutely agree. I am an (fill in the blank with your favorite profanity) in traffic. I wish I could do better and its up to me to improve...but for the time being, yep...I am a _________.

I agree he is lots of other things. However, the argument went this way.

a) I said Tiger Woods was a sleazebag.

b) You morphed that statement into taking away the MLK holiday among other things.

I wish you would walk back from that logic.

OK, so we are not in total agreement over what Tiger is, how wrong he was, what type of person he is...and thats fine.

Lets come at this from another angle. While Tiger doesn't have to say a word legally, does anyone here think he is handling this properly right now? I sure don't. Pretend you are Tiger's publicist...what would you have him do differently. Hiding being a website making vague statements, without using any adjectives....it just doesn't look good.

I would start by having him explain the accident. Truthfully and openly, at least from a big picture standpoint. Get it out there. Too much speculating going on about it now.

I'm just glad my life isn't exposed to such intense and continued scrutiny. The press would have a field day with me.

I would hope that Tiger is consumed with trying to mend his marriage and isn't worrying so much about his image. I can't imagine having he world looking over my shoulder as I try to patch things up with an intensely p-o'ed and scorned spouse.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

kal, you said this:

If Tiger Woods has been, and lets face it...the evidence is piling up, cheating on his wife (and family for that matter) with multiple women then I view him as a sleazebag.
    Sorry if I took you at your word, but you didn't say he did a sleazy thing, you said he is a sleaze bag. You seemed pretty unequivocal. For me, it did not seem like you were condemning the behavior only.

And so, if people who cheat on their wives are sleazebags, then so is MLK. So is Alexander Hamilton. So is JFK. So are both of my grandfathers, 5 of my uncles, my old boss, 3 of his vice presidents, 12 other employees that worked with me there, two other employees that worked with me at my next job, countless ones at the job after that, several of my best friends. I mean, I lose count.

This is not to say it's okay. But it does go to MWM's point about instinct and desire. They are very powerful. None of the people above robbed banks, killed someone, stole for a living, kicked dogs....

They became victim to their sexual desires. These people, in all other areas of their lives were moral and upstanding people- so to bring up something like "If someone would do this, what else would they do?" is not only a self-righteous statement, it is logically incorrect (and you did not say this, I do not believe, but it's been said on this thread).

Nobody is perfect, and to take an imperfection and throw in a flawed at its core slippery slope argument to further diminish them is just hogwash.

Rick Pitino cheated on his wife, where else would he go...point shaving? Molesting donkeys?

We all have flaws. For some it's booze, for some it's women, stealing...

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I'm just glad my life isn't exposed to such intense and continued scrutiny. The press would have a field day with me.

I would hope that Tiger is consumed with trying to mend his marriage and isn't worrying so much about his image. I can't imagine having he world looking over my shoulder as I try to patch things up with an intensely p-o'ed and scorned spouse.
    I wouldn't trade places with Tiger Woods. He is in for an uphill and painful climb. Hopefully he sincerely apologizes and shows he means every word by not doing this again. If he feels like he can't resist, he needs to get into therapy.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post

If he wins a major, or a couple of them, next year then nobody will care. As he gets closer to Jack's record, he'll get even more sponsors.

When he's playing in the tourney that could tie or pass Jack, do you think people will be asking "hey, remember when he cheated on his wife?". No. Nobody will care.

I'll still watch the tournamens he's playing in, and still root for the guy to win. I think what he did is wrong, but it doesn't suprise me. People think that guys like Tiger lead the perfect life, most of them don't. I know a couple people who are wealthy (nothing like Tiger though) and they are the most miserable people I know. Don't judge other people until you've walked in their shoes. At least that's what I think.

Dom, I repeat, you lumped me calling Tiger Woods a sleazeball and in some twisted way implied I should also think we should take away the MLK holiday...I wish you would acknowlege that is a huge stretch.

Also it seems I am being goaded into either calling MLK and your family members names or whatnot. C'mon.

Even note I said "I view" not "he is" at first...I understand others might not view things in the same light. And that's fine.

Tiger Woods does "sleazeball-type" things. Tiger Woods is a sleazeball.

Tiger Woods does "championship golf type things" Tiger Woods is a championship caliber golfer.

Tiger Woods gives to charity. Tiger Woods is a great philanthropist. Sp?

It is that wrong that I take the verb form and turn it into a descriptive noun?

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    OK, so we are not in total agreement over what Tiger is, how wrong he was, what type of person he is...and thats fine.

Lets come at this from another angle. While Tiger doesn't have to say a word legally, does anyone here think he is handling this properly right now? I sure don't. Pretend you are Tiger's publicist...what would you have him do differently. Hiding being a website making vague statements, without using any adjectives....it just doesn't look good.

I would start by having him explain the accident. Truthfully and openly, at least from a big picture standpoint. Get it out there. Too much speculating going on about it now.
    Wow

Really?

What good comes from Tiger explaining the accident? Why should he have to explain to the public about what goes on in his private life?

Private lives are just that, private. Just b/c Tiger's mug is now all over TVs and magazine covers doesn't mean he needs to open the door to his private life and tell the public anything.

The public can speculate all they want. Even if Tiger "comes clean" and starts to explain and put rumors to bed, the public will still continue to speculate and want more answers. It begins a slippery slope to which there is no end.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Dom, I repeat, you lumped me calling Tiger Woods a sleazeball and in some twisted way implied I should also think we should take away the MLK holiday...I wish you would acknowlege that is a huge stretch.

Also it seems I am being goaded into either calling MLK and your family members names or whatnot. C'mon.

Even note I said "I view" not "he is" at first...I understand others might not view things in the same light. And that's fine.

Tiger Woods does "sleazeball-type" things. Tiger Woods is a sleazeball.

Tiger Woods does "championship golf type things" Tiger Woods is a championship caliber golfer.

Tiger Woods gives to charity. Tiger Woods is a great philanthropist. Sp?

It is that wrong that I take the verb form and turn it into a descriptive noun?

Aw, come on, kal. The holiday thing was sarcasm. It was meant to be a stretch. I would never in a million years propose that as truth. That part of the post was laced with sarcasm.

I don't see why it matters if it was one woman or 200 women. It points to one weakness, the lack of will power to turn away beautiful women who want nothing more than to have sex with him. It's a weakness, but as Dom has pointed out, it's not fair to define a person by a single weakness. And I stand by my belief that many of those with the pitch fork would not be able to turn them down either.

I understand why people believe it. It goes like this: I am a moral person; those morals are not dependent on my staion in life; cheating on your wife is immoral; therefore, I would never do it. And maybe it's harsh to say anyone WOULD do what Tiger has done, but I think it's fair to say no one really knows until they are in that situation.

And what Dom is pointing out with his comparables is important. Reasons for beliefs are more important than the actual belief, IMO. He's simply trying to point out that many men who are widely considered great men have had this same weakness (which should give more credence to the idea that with men and their lower brains, you just never know). Heck, FDR kept a mistress around while he was president. It was common knowledge and even Eleanor knew about it. Does that mean he wasn't capable of being a great man? Nope, just means he had a weakness, the same weakness that has existed amongst the earth's male population since sex was first discovered.

And I guarantee you that many people in this thread have a friend, colleague, realtive, etc... who they respect and admire who has done the same thing but you just don't know about it.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Aw, come on, kal. The holiday thing was sarcasm. It was meant to be a stretch. I would never in a million years propose that as truth. That part of the post was laced with sarcasm.
    Dom I love you and all, but I can't help but notice as you go after me for saying "Tiger Woods is a sleazebag", I click into the Billy Idol thread and all you have to input on that thread is "Billy Idol is a tool". What can I say, it made me laugh.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=14

Turn Off Ads?