Turn Off Ads?
Page 28 of 62 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast

Thread: The Tiger Woods Saga Thread

Re: Tiger Woods in serious condition after car wreck

Well said by those pros that spoke out, very well said.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    Saw this on yahoo:
    Tiger is not a nice person. Just ask any employee who has ever waited on the guy. A stiff and a jerk.....

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    Saw this on yahoo:
    The golfers are denying they interviewed with this magazine.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory?id=9306873

Golfers Say They Weren't Interviewed About Woods
    Golfers deny speaking to magazine about Tiger Woods and his marriage

By DOUG FERGUSON
    The Associated Press

JACKSONVILLE, Fla.

Two golfers quoted by a weekly magazine as making disparaging remarks about Tiger Woods and his marriage said Thursday night they never spoke to the publication.

In a story that Life & Style posted on its Web site, Ben Crane is quoted as saying Woods is a "phony and a fake" and that Woods' wife knew about allegations of extramarital affairs. It also quotes Charles Warren as saying Woods' wife "had stars in her eyes and maybe dollar signs too" and should leave him.

The magazine said in a statement it was investigating.

"This is unbelievable," Ben Crane told The Associated Press from his Dallas-area home. "I never said a word about anything. They print this and put my name next to it."

Warren said through his agent that he has not given an interview of any kind in two months.

"I have not spoken to Life & Style magazine, so there is no story here," Warren said in a statement.

Crane's agent, Tommy Limbaugh of 4UManagement, said a magazine official told him the interview took place at the PGA Tour Qualifying tournament last week at Bear Lakes Country Club in West Palm Beach, Fla.

Crane finished 51st on the PGA Tour money list this year and was not at Q-school. Warren, who finished 147th on the money list, withdrew from Q-school before the final round. He was too far back to earn his card.

"We sent an experienced freelance reporter to a golf tournament attended by several PGA pros," the magazine said in a statement. "Our reporter spoke with two golfers who presented themselves as Ben Crane and Charles Warren. We are taking these claims very seriously and investigating further."

Asked if the magazine took photos of the golfers it interviewed, a spokeswoman declined further comment. Life & Style published the quotes Wednesday afternoon, and several Web sites posted them Thursday.

Crane said he first learned about the quotes Thursday morning when his agent called.

"At that point, I was like, 'OK, that's the farthest thing from the truth,'" Crane said. "I didn't realize I should be proactively calling you and (other journalists) until all of a sudden the tour called and said they wanted to run it (on television)."

Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burton View Post
    Well said by those pros that spoke out, very well said.
    Too bad it appears that they never said it. The irony of a self-rigtheous, fictional article about someone else's cheating

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    The irony of a self-rigtheous, fictional article about someone else's cheating
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Too bad it appears that they never said it. The irony of a self-rigtheous, fictional article about someone else's cheating
    Well said by whoever said it, lol.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Re: The Tiger Woods Saga Thread

I'm probably in the minority, but I could care less what Tiger does as a father, husband, or human being.

I only care what he does between the ropes.

Get to 19 Tiger, and then we'll see what people think.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    I'm probably in the minority, but I could care less what Tiger does as a father, husband, or human being.

I think eventually, most people will feel this way - especially if he continues to dominate like he has in the past. Look at Kobe Bryant. A lot of people didn't think he could recover from his troubles but he took care of his wife handsomely, didn't say too much about what happened and went out on the court and kicked ass. And what went on with him was definitely more serious than what's happening with Tiger.

He had better continue to dominate, though or else people are going to wonder if this affected him. I enjoy watching Tiger play. It's always a treat to watch someone play at the level he does. If you want to hate on Tiger because of his infidelities, that's fine. But you have to wonder if the guy you're rooting for now plays around on his wife.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

What if it wasn't adultery with people you do not know, which is apparently not a moral standard you care about for your athletic idols, but he was beating the crap out of his wife and kids, verbally abusing her in public, and keeping them locked up in the house? Or if he came to your golf club for a tournament, won easily, then berated you in front of everyone as you handed him the trophy? Then, after he left, you discover that he slept with your wife, girlfriend, and daughter that weekend.

Is it still just about his golfing prowess?
    Last edited by traderumor; 12-11-2009 at 09:46 AM.

which is the golfing Tiger. However, there is another Tiger ... and that is the image created to allow him to sell him self to those wishing to profit from the image.

I am sure that Tiger the golfer will still stand tall but Tiger the image has burnt to the ground and those people that worshiped the image are now disappointed.

I will watch Tiger play in the future as I have in the past because his play on the golf course is worth watching. I have never been concerned with the image. I do feel badly for his wife and children because they are collateral damage to a lifestyle seemingly out of control. I hope he gets his life under control because in the end that will be best for everyone involved.

This is just another cautionary tale about idols made by our modern society.
    Last edited by flyer85; 12-11-2009 at 09:49 AM.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

What if it wasn't adultery with people you do not know, which is apparently not a moral standard you care about for your athletic idols, but he was beating the crap out of his wife and kids, verbally abusing her in public, and keeping them locked up in the house? Or if he came to your golf club for a tournament, won easily, then berated you in front of everyone as you handed him the trophy? Then, after he left, you discover that he slept with your wife, girlfriend, and daughter that weekend.

Is it still just about his golfing prowess?
    Comparing something Tiger did to his wife and family to something he would do directly against his fans- I dunno, TR.

Tiger made an agreement with his wife, not me. While breaking that oath doesn't speak highly towards him, he didn't make a commitment to me. He didn't make a commitment to his fans. Tiger Woods does not have a no cheat clause with the public.

If you look at athletes as "idols," therein lies the problem. You are mistaking excellence on the field for excellence off of it, which are two different matters entirely.

While I realize Tiger has helped fuel a squeaky clean image through advertising, I would say those who actually believed it need to remember this:

Since when is there truth in advertising? From Ford to Fidelity to Wal-Mart, their ads are filled with imagery that says "We are good," but at the end of the day they are a business and they do things, well, that aren't always the way you'd treat your grandmother. Tiger is no different.

If you go to Tiger Woods' website and read about "values" and think that means he's made a promise to you or the public that he won't make mistakes or cheat on his wife you are a fool. And if you teach your children to look up to Tiger Woods for anything other than being a good golfer, you are a fool for that, too.

These people are really good athletes. That's it. It doesn't mean anything other than that. Michael Jordan wasn't the best basketball player of all time because he was the best person of all time. Same for Tiger.

Sponsors, advertisers, the league- they all want us to buy into this stuff. They put it in a bowl with a creamy froth, and we lick it right up. Not sure who you blame on matters of supply and demand, I just know my son is being raised with the idea that perfection on a diamond, a gridiron, or a golf course means just and only that.

Advertising is about imagery, word placement, about making you feel good- it isn't about truth. It's about being ideal, when we all know there is no such thing. If the way Tiger Woods hits a golf ball makes you instantly feel like he's the greatest humanitarian of all time, he didn't let you down, you let yourself down.

For a an athlete to say "My off field character is what makes me a great athlete"-that's as logically flawed an argument as saying being a jerk makes you a lousy one: Albert Belle says hi. Ty Cobb says hi. Pete Rose says hi.

Instead of hitting these athletes upside the head when they prove such image making is flawed, we should hit ourselves for buying into it.
    Last edited by Dom Heffner; 12-11-2009 at 10:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post

Advertising is about imagery, word placement- it isn't about truth.

Bought the product... never used it.

Bill Simmons has a take ... amusing as usual

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...simmons/091211

Quote Originally Posted by Deepred05 View Post
    Tiger is not a nice person. Just ask any employee who has ever waited on the guy. A stiff and a jerk.....
    My uncle worked with Tiger and he was a delight. Friendly, gracious, and an extremely generous tipper.

Any one person has a bad day -- celebrity or the person who has contact with him -- and the story is all over the internet taken as truth. Don't take any of them seriously.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

This Tiger thing goes way past his marriage or his golf scores. This is a guy who makes unprecedented bucks from endorsements. According to one report, $98mill a year. Let's say half of them don't renew next year because of this. That means his infidelity has cost him $50mill. It also will cost him in his pre nup with his wife. She will now get $20-50mill more depending on how long the marriage lasts. Everything's relative but this is going to cost him 10s if not 100s of millions of dollars by the time it's all said and done.

Turn Off Ads?