Turn Off Ads?
Page 31 of 62 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast

Thread: The Tiger Woods Saga Thread

Re: The Tiger Woods Saga Thread

I had a feeling Tiger would take a break from golf. I wouldn't at all be surprised if it's a LONG break - read: an entire year, maybe even two.

I think people seriously underestimate the type of determination the guy has. He obviously has a problem that he's been sweeping under the covers hoping it would never be discovered. Now that's he forced to face it, I wouldn't at all be surprised to see him take this on with the same kind of determined approach he's taken to becoming the greatest golfer to ever play; and to overcome it and completely conquer it and gain mastery of his personal life again.

I just don't think everything we thought about the guy and his mental fortitude and character was completely false based on this. He has a serious problem, but like I've maintained all along, that does not mean we truly know the guy and what he's made of. I know a lot of people out there now think they know the "tru him", but that's simply not the case. I don't think Tiger will wind up like Kobe, just moving past it and making it something that's not brought up anymore. I believe Tiger will go further. He will take it head on and beat it and come out on top of it. It might take 5 years, but I still think Tiger is mostly the guy we all thought he was, just with a serious flaw or two.
    Last edited by MWM; 12-12-2009 at 03:13 PM.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I had a feeling Tiger would take a break from golf. I wouldn't at all be surprised if it's a LONG break - read: an entire year, maybe even two.

I don't know. What else is he going to do? If he's wanting to be with all these different women all the time he's going to go crazy sitting around the house And you know Elin isn't going to be very receptive to his "needs". He's such a competitor that I don't think he'll be satisfied playing with his buddies. I think he'll go stir-crazy and around mid-March, he'll start playing in a few tournaments to get ready for the Masters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

If Elin divorces him and gets a bunch of dough, I can't imagine a more eligible Mom on the planet (for single guys, that is).

http://www.sphere.com/nation/article...den%2F19276316

Dear Santa,

I know that I am on the naughty list, but if you can stick a Rosetta Stone
    CD package (Swedish-please) into my Christmas stocking this year that would be great!

Thanks,

Tiger

I know this won't affect how golf I watch as I watch most of it with or without Tiger, but I think this is really going to hurt the PGA Tour more than they will let on.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I know this won't affect how golf I watch as I watch most of it with or without Tiger, but I think this is really going to hurt the PGA Tour more than they will let on.
    I agree to an extent. No Tiger=poor ratings. I'm guessing most, if not all, the purses are already set for this year, aren't they? If not, then it will really affect the tour. If so, then he'll probably be back in time so the other tour players can keep playing for their comfy $5 million dollar purses.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

I don't know Redhook. I hope I'm wrong, but I really think he's going to be gone for a while. It's just a gut feeling, but I don't think we'll see much, if any, of Tiger Woods in 2010.

I don't know what's going to happen either. I hope he's back for the Masters, but I also wouldn't be suprised at all if we don't see him this year.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    I agree to an extent. No Tiger=poor ratings. I'm guessing most, if not all, the purses are already set for this year, aren't they? If not, then it will really affect the tour. If so, then he'll probably be back in time so the other tour players can keep playing for their comfy $5 million dollar purses.
    Pretty sure the purses are locked for 2010, but depending on if and when Tiger plays in 2010, it'll definitely impact the purses for 2011.

SportsCenter just showed some interesting graphic that in tournaments where Tiger was in contention on the weekend in 2007, and missed those same tourneys due to surgery in 2008, TV ratings were down between 48% and 65% depending on the tourney.

Pretty big ratings hit for tourneys when Tiger's not there when he was in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Tiger Woods isn't a part of my family, so I really don't get this whole "if it hit closer to home" thing.

I guess I don't understand why you can't seem to grasp the fact that I honestly, truly only care about Tiger Woods the golfer. I don't approve of things he does off the course, but he's not answering to me, nor should he have to.

I'm glad you care about what Tiger does off the course, but I don't care what he does off the course, so I don't get your point.
    That's where you are mistaken, I really do not follow Tiger or the PGA tour or necessarily "care about what Tiger does off the course." But I also do not pretend that the only thing that matters about an athlete is what he does while performing his sport. That's a big old, "well it depends."

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    The "Closer to home" thing is a moot point.

Anybody who was hurt personally by a sin, tragedy, catastrophe is going to feel differently about it.

It has nothing to do with your morals, it's human nature.

It's a lot to ask someone who doesn't know anybody personally in a situation to get heartfelt about it, especially when the "sin" here is such a personal matter.

I'll bet Traderumor would feel more passionately about world hunger if his family were the one starving (as would we all).

Your proximity to a situation is going to affect the way you feel about it.

To say, "You'd feel differently if he slept with your wife" is not a measuring stick of anything.

We can twist that argument around and say kaldaniels wouldn't use the term scumbag if Tiger were his child.

This is silly...
    Yea, ethics, morality and idolatry are silly. Now, Tiger hit me some ball 450 yards. Love ya, buddy!

Here's the funny thing. Highlifeman would divorce his wife if it was her involved in these affairs, yet it only matters what Tiger does between the ropes. Surely you see that proves my point.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Yea, ethics, morality and idolatry are silly. Now, Tiger hit me some ball 450 yards. Love ya, buddy!

Here's the funny thing. Highlifeman would divorce his wife if it was her involved in these affairs, yet it only matters what Tiger does between the ropes. Surely you see that proves my point.
    I did not say ethics and morals are silly- I'm saying the constant judging, rating, comparing of human beings by human beings is a silly process.

And your pointing out that Highlifeman would feel different about Tiger if the transgressions were against him was one of those "No duh" points that really serve no purpose.

Deion Sanders shoplifted, is that bad? Okay, sure, but I still liked him as a football player.

BUT WHAT IF HE TOOK SOMETHING FROM YOUR STORE??????????? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA......

It's silly.

Kobe Bryant still has fans, but the immediate family of the woman he allegedly raped probably doesn't think he's too cool.

I'm guessing if you found your wife in bed with another man, you'd beat the crap out of the guy. You probably wouldn't beat the crap out of a guy in bed with my wife.

Is your moral compass off? LOL!!!!
    Last edited by Dom Heffner; 12-13-2009 at 11:45 AM.

Let's keep this thread on the moral judgment of Tiger Woods and not on the moral judgment of each other.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

I still want to watch him play golf. This will be the 2nd Tiger void in recent times due to his knee injury and now this. It sucks for golf fans. The game is much more interesting when he is around.

Every hero needs his kryptonite.

Ali became much more interesting when he had his problems with the draft.

Tiger is much more interesting now. Not condoning or excusing anything. But he's much more interesting.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Turn Off Ads?