Turn Off Ads?
Page 43 of 62 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445464753 ... LastLast

Thread: The Tiger Woods Saga Thread

Re: The Tiger Woods Saga Thread

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    When my son was much younger, he asked me why "Bob's" wife had such a big smile in that commercial. I told him that I wasn't sure. He replied, "He must have given her something that she really liked." My wife and I just about lost it!
    lmao

2. Turn Off Ads?

Ex-coach: Tiger Woods needs to face humiliation
    January 10, 2010 12:06 PM | 1 Comment
    The Guardian reports: Tiger Woods needs to call a news conference and explain his recent troubles before he can get on with golf and his life, according to his former coach Butch Harmon.

"To stand there in front of everybody, take his medicine, be embarrassed, be humiliated, and answer the questions," Harmon said. "But where the hell is he? We could find Osama bin Laden easier than we can find Tiger Woods."

Harmon said he believes Woods' marriage is finished and that he must have had help arranging his numerous affairs.

"I can honestly tell you the Tiger Woods I knew for 10 years is not this Tiger Woods," Harmon said. "I don't know this Tiger Woods."

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/01/tiger.html
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

On the lighter side, someone has come up with a (very addictive) flash game that has Tiger trying to hit his mistresses with a golf ball before they reach the news truck.

http://www.atom.com/fun_games/tiger_...xrs=eml_121709
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Chip:
    Thanks-that's the first Ho in One I've ever made.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Apparently, Tiger is going to be speaking publicly for the first time this Friday. He'll outline his plans for what he's going to do moving forward....and supposedly will be apologizing. Should be interesting.

I found this quote hilarious from the "[Stuff] my dad says" twitter page:

""I like See’s candy. Put me in a See’s store, I’m eating candy. The whole world is Tiger’s See’s store, and the candy is va----." This pretty much sums it up for me.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Tiger Woods reportedly will not be answering any questions in his little PR event this Friday. Given his athletic talent, some people may still buy it.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

What's there to buy?

I honestly think the idea that he has something to apologize to the public for is ludicrous. The only people he owes anything to are his wife and kids (and maybe his sponsors who have paid him beaucoup cash based on his image). Beyond that, nothing else really matters and if I were him I wouldn't waste a single ounce of energy worrying about the public in general.

I'll admit that I've always been a fan of his and this whole thing has made me much less enthusiastic in my fandom, but he owes me nothing and I don't think he has any obligation to answer anything he doesn't want to answer other than to his family.

Seriously, I know when the time does come that he can no longer stave off the hungry press, they're going to be ruthless, but it will almost certainly all be about the details of his affairs as if that's newsworthy. That's what the modern day press has become. Honestly, we know he was WAY unfaithful to his wife and lived a partiers life. What else is there to know? I guarantee you he will get pushed for the number of women, as if 20 is somehow less egregious than 50. He'll get pushed for the details of his encounters, etc... THIS is the type of suff these so-called journalists will care about.
    Last edited by MWM; 02-17-2010 at 08:18 PM.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    What's there to buy?

I honestly think the idea that he has something to apologize to the public for is ludicrous. The only people he owes anything to are his wife and kids (and maybe his sponsors who have paid him beaucoup cash based on his image). Beyond that, nothing else really matters and if I were him I wouldn't waste a single ounce of energy worrying about the public in general.

I'll admit that I've always been a fan of his and this whole thing has made me much less enthusiastic in my fandom, but he owes me nothing and I don't think he has any obligation to answer anything he doesn't want to answer other than to his family.

Seriously, I know when the time does come that he can no longer stave off the hungry press, they're going to be ruthless, but it will almost certainly all be about the details of his affairs as if that's newsworthy. That's what the modern day press has become. Honestly, we know he was WAY unfaithful to his wife and lived a partiers life. What else is there to know? I guarantee you he will get pushed for the number of women, as if 20 is somehow less egregious than 50. He'll get pushed for the details of his encounters, etc... THIS is the type of suff these so-called journalists will care about.
    I honestly believe he will never answer those questions and I hope he doesn't. Like you said he doesn't owe that explantation to anybody and honestly it doesn't do him any good.

I just hope he gets back to playing golf soon. It is way more fun when he is playing.

What's there to buy?

I agree that he doesn't have to apologize to us fans but the way he's handling it doesn't look good.

He's trying to control the whole situation by reading his prepared statement and then walking away.

What does he expect that to accomplish? It will piss off the Press and then they'll really come after him. If PR is his main goal here, he's not going through it in the right way.

He'd best not say anything at this time.

What's there to buy?

I understand what you are saying. From a human standpoint, all that matters is him and his family. He needs to resolve that in whatever way he sees fit and that's none of our business.

But, if he wants to continue as a spokesperson for commercial products, he'll need that quality that people will listen to him and believe him. And general public opinion counts there.

If the average Joe doesn't like how he's handled this whole affair, they'll have a negative reaction when Tiger says "buy Aqua-Velva". Companies will know that from all their marketing testing and surveys and all that. So if he wants to continue getting big buck endorsement contracts from Nike, Titleist, etc., he's going to have to pay attention to public opinion of him.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    IBut, if he wants to continue as a spokesperson for commercial products, he'll need that quality that people will listen to him and believe him. And general public opinion counts there.

I don't agree. All he needs to do is go back out on the tour and dominate. If there aren't any more problems with women - past and future - he'll get all his endorsements back and more.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

It's been funny to watch PGA events so far this year. Whenever something comes up like the Fedex standings from last year, where he is listed in the top five, they can barely bring themselves to mention his name. Prior to his implosion, commentators couldn't mention anything without talking about Woods.
    Kind of like this:

"You know, Luke Donald has struggled this year, coming back from that wrist surgery."
    "Yeah, Tiger had his knee reconstructed and he's won three times already this year."
    "Uh, huh. Oh, great shot there, by Donald. He's within easy reach of an eagle and beneath the hole on this par 5, exactly where you want to be. His short game hasn't suffered much."
    "Oh, definitely. He played that the same way Tiger this morning, except he was inside Donald by a couple feet."
    Last edited by SunDeck; 02-18-2010 at 12:59 PM.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

He does not need to answer any questions in this initial forum. It is but the first step in a very calculated PR rehabilitation process. Did anyone else notice that this has been scheduled for 11:00am ET (prime daytime media slot) during a round of the Accenture-sponsored golf tournament? That is not a coincidence. They were the first sponsor to drop Tiger publically and he will never forget that.

Tomorrow's press conference (mea culpa) is for informational purposes only. It is for him to appear in 'public' and admit that he has done wrong. After his statement has been read, the only questions that would be derived would pertain to personal matters to which he has no responsibility to address. That is why he only invited three wire outlets to the event: AP, Reuters, and Bloomberg.

His public caning will come later via the Oprah/Larry King format. Do not be surprised to see Elin actually sitting next to him in those appearances. Nearly all of dust will have settled prior to his first tournament appearance. Follow the money folks. It is all about the tour paychecks, sponsor revenue, and Nike golf. They ALL need Tiger back--yesterday. There is simply too much at stake for these organizations.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I don't agree. All he needs to do is go back out on the tour and dominate. If there aren't any more problems with women - past and future - he'll get all his endorsements back and more.
    The cynic in me agrees.

At least for the golfer and sports wonk, he'll probably just have to go back to being Tiger and I guess that will be enough. And maybe that's it for his audience. I guess he's never been a spokesperson for Cheerios, McDonalds, or Coke. He's been more of a boutique high-end market guy.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

The only stick that fans should concern ourselves with is the one he plays golf with, not the other one that he plays other games with.

Turn Off Ads?