Turn Off Ads?
Page 49 of 62 FirstFirst ... 3945464748495051525359 ... LastLast

Thread: The Tiger Woods Saga Thread

Re: The Tiger Woods Saga Thread

Boring? Tiger apologizes to pre-school parents. http://www.tmz.com/2010/02/23/tiger-...chool-parents/
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100226/...RvcmFkZWRyb3A-

Gatorade drops Tiger Woods
    1 hr 1 min ago

NEW YORK – Add Gatorade to the list of endorsement deals that Tiger Woods has lost.

A representative for the drink, sold by PepsiCo Inc., confirmed late Friday that it had ended its relationship with the golfer, who made a lengthy public apology last week for his infidelities.

"We no longer see a role for Tiger in our marketing efforts and have ended our relationship," a Gatorade spokeswoman said. "We wish him all the best."

The spokeswoman said Gatorade would continue its relationship with the Tiger Woods Foundation.

She declined to say whether his contract was terminated early because of trouble with his public image.

Gatorade discontinued its Tiger Woods-brand drinks in November, a decision made before Woods' marital problems became known.

At the time, Gatorade stuck by him as a sponsor, but it too relented on Friday, becoming the third major endorsement the golfer has lost. AT&T Inc. and Accenture dropped Woods in the weeks following the tabloid frenzy of cheating allegations.

"We have been in discussions with Gatorade, and while we are disappointed they have decided to not continue with Tiger in their marketing plans, we appreciate their continued involvement with Tiger through his foundation," Woods' agent, Mark Steinberg of IMG, said in an e-mail.

The companies that have stuck most closely by Woods, Nike Inc. and Electronic Arts Inc. — which have invested specifically in his athleticism — reiterated their support last week when the golfer made his public apology.

Others, such as Procter & Gamble Co.'s Gillette and Swiss watch maker Tag Heuer, de-emphasized him in their marketing.

The CEO of Procter & Gamble said earlier this week that he doesn't know whether Woods will ever appear in another Gillette commercial, saying the company did not need the "distraction" of using him in its advertising.

Gatorade owner PepsiCo, the world's second-biggest soda maker, also owns the Tropicana, Quaker and Frito-Lay brands.

Copyright © 2010 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved.Questions or CommentsPrivacy PolicyAbout Our AdsTerms of ServiceCopyright/IP Policy

Tiger returning? This article seems to indicate as much.

http://blogs.golf.com/presstent/2010...html?eref=sihp

Amid the cozy cocoon of Arnold Palmer and with March Madness in full swing at that time, it would be appear to be an ideal time for Woods to emerge pre-Augusta.

How very Tiger of him.

Tiger Woods Mistress Beauty Pageant was pretty entertaining.

Just read that it's now the Masters, not Arnie's event. What a crazy week that'll be.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie View Post
    Amid the cozy cocoon of Arnold Palmer and with March Madness in full swing at that time, it would be appear to be an ideal time for Woods to emerge pre-Augusta.

How very Tiger of him.
    Just so I'm clear. You think that Tiger (a golfer) shouldn't come back right now because there is a basketball tournament going on?

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Just so I'm clear. You think that Tiger (a golfer) shouldn't come back right now because there is a basketball tournament going on?
    Uhm... perhaps it was I who was not clear?

I was actually suggesting that the PR machine that is under the employ of one Eldrick Woods (which some suggest now includes Ari Fleischer) carefully crafted the 're-entry plan' for their client to coincide specifically with March Madness. Given the fan/media attention that is sucked into those three weeks every March, it would be the absolute ideal time for him to emerge.

Think: 'Wag the Dog' the sequel....

Uhm... perhaps it was I who was not clear?

I was actually suggesting that the PR machine that is under the employ of one Eldrick Woods (which some suggest now includes Ari Fleischer) carefully crafted the 're-entry plan' for their client to coincide specifically with March Madness. Given the fan/media attention that is sucked into those three weeks every March, it would be the absolute ideal time for him to emerge.

Think: 'Wag the Dog' the sequel....
    Got it.

Could be, but if he wants to be competitive at the Masters he needs to play in something first so he really has little choice but to play during the NCAA tournament. Probably just a bonus that they might only get 35 minutes of coverage on SportsCenter instead of 50.

Got it.

Could be, but if he wants to be competitive at the Masters he needs to play in something first so he really has little choice but to play during the NCAA tournament. Probably just a bonus that they might only get 35 minutes of coverage on SportsCenter instead of 50.
    Actually, I still think ESPN will consider launching a new channel to deliver the Tiger updates...but Woods will have already helped his cause by mitigating the damages.

Ultimately, it is the sports fan--not ESPN--who decides what stories deserve the run. In my opinion, the fan demographics for the two audiences (PGA fans - March Madness Fans) are just too similar.

Only one thing would come close to trumping March Madness head-to-head...and they gave out their league's trophy about one month ago.

Personally, I think he'll first appear in the Tavistock Cup which is an inter-club battle of Tour stars from Isleworth and Lake Nona. This little tournament is played in the cozy neighborhoods of these two courses (I think it's at Isleworth this year, but I could be wrong). The media would have a hard time getting into either neighborhood and it'd be a nice tune-up for Tiger.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    Just read that it's now the Masters, not Arnie's event. What a crazy week that'll be.

That's what it's going to be.

http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/new...v=ap&type=lgns
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Which ever firms were wise enough to lock into the early ad rates with CBS for the Masters coverage should be smiling tonight.

If Tiger makes the cut in Augusta, the weekend television ratings for this tournament will shatter every golf number in recorded history.

We are not just talking NFL territory, here. We are talking about Tonya vs. Nancy kind of number.

Which ever firms were wise enough to lock into the early ad rates with CBS for the Masters coverage should be smiling tonight.

If Tiger makes the cut in Augusta, the weekend television ratings for this tournament will shatter every golf number in recorded history.

We are not just talking NFL territory, here. We are talking about Tonya vs. Nancy kind of number.
    As I recall, CBS only gets 4 minutes of commercial time per hour, so whomever wanted the minutes may well have bought them before Tiger even began his vacation.
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    As I recall, CBS only gets 4 minutes of commercial time per hour, so whomever wanted the minutes may well have bought them before Tiger even began his vacation.

ESPN has it on Thursday and Friday. Do they get that much time as well or more?
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?