Turn Off Ads?
Page 52 of 62 FirstFirst ... 242484950515253545556 ... LastLast

Thread: The Tiger Woods Saga Thread

Re: The Tiger Woods Saga Thread

I have had XM Radio for over 5 years and tomorrow will be my first time listening to the PGA Tour Network on XM146. A great listen at work.

THE 2010 MASTERS TOURNAMENT
    Hear live hole-by-hole coverage of the 2010 Masters Tournament from Thu., April 8, through Sun., April 11. Besides the live play-by-play from Augusta National, listeners will also get expert analysis leading up to and throughout the event, including The Masters Today, a daily preview show and Masters Replay, a recap of the day’s action with highlights, analysis and interviews.

Thu., April 8 – Sun., Apr. 11
    12 pm – 2 pm ET: The Masters Today
    2 pm – 7 pm ET: Live coverage of The Masters
    7 pm – 9 pm ET: Masters Replay

http://www.xmradio.com/pgatournetwork

http://www.xmradio.com/servlet/Conte...4667&c=Channel
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I hate the new Nike Tiger commercial.
    This one? I think it's pretty funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bla3LPb1fzs
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    This one? I think it's pretty funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bla3LPb1fzs
    That's from last year. And it is hilarious.

The new one MWM is talking about is Tiger staring at the camera for 25 seconds with his dad talking. I just watched it a few minutes ago. It's awful. I hate it as well. I don't even know if I'd label it as a commercial.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    That's from last year. And it is hilarious.

The new one MWM is talking about is Tiger staring at the camera for 25 seconds with his dad talking. I just watched it a few minutes ago. It's awful. I hate it as well. I don't even know if I'd label it as a commercial.
    I know I was just being stupid. I can't decide what I think about the one with his Dad. I agree, I wouldn't really call it a commercial either.

I guess it's just Nike trying to rebuild his image with his Dad giving him a public "spanking".

It appears to me that Tiger's marketing team has correctly assessed the situation. America loves to knock down its heroes. Tiger will make no excuses and only show contrition and sorrow for what he's done. Not everyone will forgive him, but this approach will bring back a larger percentage of his fans than any other.

He may well be sincere. Regardless, this approach is the correct marketing strategy. As much as we love to tear down our heroes, many will forgive him if he doesn't whine and make excuses for his behavior and grovels enough.

We build them up, knock them down, then build them back up if they follow this formula.

And make no mistake, it's a carefully crafted marketing strategy. It may be sincere, maybe not. But it's smart business given the situation he's in.

And it's laughable to imagine the voice-over of Earl in the Nike commercial is what he'd really be saying to Tiger were he still alive.
    Last edited by RFS62; 04-08-2010 at 08:16 AM.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

I know I was just being stupid. I can't decide what I think about the one with his Dad. I agree, I wouldn't really call it a commercial either.

I guess it's just Nike trying to rebuild his image with his Dad giving him a public "spanking".
    I really don't care for the new commercial. When I saw the commercial I almost thought it was a Tiger look alike because he didn't look the same.

Is it just me or does Tiger look more villainous now? When I look at him and watch him doing his interviews/confessions he doesn't look like the Tiger of old. Doesn't look like the Tiger who is confident rather a Tiger who is looking for answers.

Good column from Tom Boswell in today's Washington Post about Tiger:

http://bit.ly/dhO5IO
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I really don't care for the new commercial. When I saw the commercial I almost thought it was a Tiger look alike because he didn't look the same.

Is it just me or does Tiger look more villainous now? When I look at him and watch him doing his interviews/confessions he doesn't look like the Tiger of old. Doesn't look like the Tiger who is confident rather a Tiger who is looking for answers.
    He certainly looks older. Stress will do that. And those who made that commercial may have tried to accentuate that, given it's content.

I found the ad to be in pretty poor taste. It's a clear attempt to turn a guy's personal issues into profit. Not good.

And given what has been found out about Mr. Woods, Sr., I'm not sure using his voice points a viewer in the right direction for "learning anything."
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    I found the ad to be in pretty poor taste. It's a clear attempt to turn a guy's personal issues into profit. Not good.
    I didn't see the ad but I would think it had Tiger's blessing. Plus Nike was about the only company to stay with Tiger after almost every other sponsor dropped him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I didn't see the ad but I would think it had Tiger's blessing. Plus Nike was about the only company to stay with Tiger after almost every other sponsor dropped him.
    Which is why it seems an odd angle to approach an ad from.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Good column from Tom Boswell in today's Washington Post about Tiger:

http://bit.ly/dhO5IO
    From the article.
    Sin big and win big. Why don't most of us ever think of that strategy? This week, within a minute, Woods talked about the "horrible" things he's done and how he thinks he can win the Masters. Has the thought crossed his mind that he doesn't deserve to win?
    I really don't like his thinking on this. I don't see what one thing has to do with the other. Deserve to win? He deserves to win if he has the lowest score, that's the only time anyone deserves to win. Boswell says he'll be rooting against Tiger, I won't be, but I can at least understand that. This stuff about deserving to win or his conscience causing him to lip out a putt to win it doesn't make any sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Nike and EA Sports are the two biggest ones that I know of.

Nike Golf is Tiger. Without Tiger Nike really has no golf division. When they first started up their Golf division their clubs were awful their balls were bad and their apparel was non existent. With Tiger everything became more appealing, especially when Tiger was in the hunt on Sunday wearing his traditional red.

From the article.

I really don't like his thinking on this. I don't see what one thing has to do with the other. Deserve to win? He deserves to win if he has the lowest score, that's the only time anyone deserves to win. Boswell says he'll be rooting against Tiger, I won't be, but I can at least understand that. This stuff about deserving to win or his conscience causing him to lip out a putt to win it doesn't make any sense.

I think what he's saying is that if Tiger wins, it validates his past behavior.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Which is why it seems an odd angle to approach an ad from.
    I agree completely (this is the like the 3rd time in the past few months ). It's poor form to take what has happened and to turn it into marketing. Just when the masses are starting to come around and start to think he's genuine in his contrition and sincere in his desire to be better, this comes out and calls into question all of that.

Seems to me if Tiger were 100% sincere, he'd tell Nike that he did not want to use what has happened in his personal life to sell product. It just leaves me with a sour taste in my mouth.... and this is coming from a brand marketer who makes TV commercials (fyi, if any one you are tired of seeing all those cheesy Fiber One commercials, you can thank me for that : )

I've been defending the guy all along, but this ad just stinks to high heaven, IMO.
    Last edited by MWM; 04-08-2010 at 11:51 AM.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I've been defending the guy all along, but this ad just stinks to high heaven, IMO.
    I have never cared for Tiger, in fact have rooted against him ever since his original Masters win. I never have liked his on course antics and haven't liked how he picks and chooses tournaments to play in. Dare I say it but I even rooted for Colin Montgomery a few years ago when he was in contention with Tiger in the British.

All that said Tiger owes me no apology nor do I care to hear one. If he talks I want him to be frank. What Tiger did was be a pretty poor dad as well as an awful husband. He didn't do anything illegal (I don't think he was in Utah) and if he wanted to sleep with all those women that is his prerogative.

I enjoy watching the Masters but Tiger has become a distraction. Its unfortunate but thats the state of the game.

Turn Off Ads?