Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 62 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast

Thread: The Tiger Woods Saga Thread

Re: Tiger Woods in serious condition after car wreck

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    There is a suspicion of domestic violence. That's not gossip.
    Or is it gossip built upon initial gossip?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

2. Turn Off Ads?

I'm curious where the "suspicion" of domestic violence is coming from? I've not read anything that suggest the police have a suspicion. The only thing I can think of is the TMZ speculation.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Cops want to know if it was domestic abuse. Safe to say they probably aren't basing their inquiries on gossip from TMZ.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I'm curious where the "suspicion" of domestic violence is coming from? I've not read anything that suggest the police have a suspicion. The only thing I can think of is the TMZ speculation.
    The police are trying to get his medical records.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Cops want to know if it was domestic abuse. Safe to say they probably aren't basing their inquiries on gossip from TMZ.
    I don't think it's safe to say anything. BTW, we don't really know what they want unless I've missed a presser where they've announced such concerns.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

This will go no where in court. If law enforcement approaches from the domestic violence issue, unless there is some eyewitness to the events in their driveway, they would have no case. Tiger is not going to testify against his wife and wouldn't have to even if subpoeanaed. And there's not a doctor in the world that would testify that his injuries definitively resulted from domestic violence. So what are the cops trying to do? Make him look bad for standing them up? Which Tiger could have avoided in the 1st place.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    This will go no where in court. If law enforcement approaches from the domestic violence issue, unless there is some eyewitness to the events in their driveway, they would have no case. Tiger is not going to testify against his wife and wouldn't have to even if subpoeanaed. And there's not a doctor in the world that would testify that his injuries definitively resulted from domestic violence. So what are the cops trying to do? Make him look bad for standing them up? Which Tiger could have avoided in the 1st place.
    In the community where Woods lives, there is 24/7 video surveillance. The police have asked to see the tapes from that night, and have been told no. The police are now getting a warrant for the tapes.

If they get the tapes, and it shows Tigers wife bashing up the car, then he’s screwed in the media and his wife is likely going to be arrested for domestic violence.

Legal issues aside, I feel a little bad for Tiger. A very private marital problem will probably get splattered all over the place. If it were me, I sure as heck wouldn't want it all public.

Marital discord knows no economic barriers. Stuff happens.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    As I said before, gossip was the rumor that Tiger was fooling around. We have no idea whether that's true or not.

What we know is that Tiger attempted to drive away in his SUV early in the morning and his wife smashed the back windows with a golf club. There was also an accident and Tiger was hurt seriously enough that he was lying on the ground and he had to go to the hospital. Then a statement comes out that his wife tried to rescue him from the SUV by smashing the back windows. That doesn't pass the smell test for me and a lot of other people. If she was rescuing him, why did she smash out the back windows? Are we to believe that she smashed out the back windows, climbed in through the back windows and pulled him out of the car to safety? Why was she so Johnny-on-the-spot? If I'm going out at 3 a.m. I doubt my wife's going to get up out of bed and follow me all the way outside onto the street to see me off.

You're right. It is his right not to talk to the police. But since he decided not to, it's our right to wonder why. He was also hurt enough that he withdrew from his own golf tournament (which I find amusing for some reason.) People who bought tickets to this to see him play are going to wonder why he did this. His sponsors are going to wonder why he isn't playing and if this accident is going to affect their products. And if Tiger isn't telling the truth here, the sponsors are going to wonder if people will buy their products that he endorses. If someone is seen as not believable, why would the public want to buy a product he endorses? If I'm in the market for some new golf clubs and I think Tiger's a lying sack of fertilizer, I think twice before I buy any Nike clubs. I wonder if he's lying about how good those clubs are. I realize that sounds somewhat silly but that is how advertisers and companies work. Even someone like A-Rod eventually told the truth - or enough of the truth to quell sponsors' fears.

As I said earlier, if Tiger had taken a day with his camp and come up with a story that had enough of the truth in it to satisy the cops, then it's just a big joke about how people hadn't seen Tiger drive that bad since the PGA Championship. In a couple of weeks, it's forgotten. Since he stonewalled the cops and put out this fable about how his wife heroically rescued him from his SUV, people are going to ask questions and wonder what the heck is going on and they are going to make up and/or believe all the rumors and gossip out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Legal issues aside, I feel a little bad for Tiger. A very private marital problem will probably get splattered all over the place. If it were me, I sure as heck wouldn't want it all public.

Marital discord knows no economic barriers. Stuff happens.
    I see your point but I don't feel bad for him. It's not like this kind of thing happens to everyone. I've been in a couple marriages and nothing like this ever happened.

Tiger has received a lot of fame and fortune and it serves to reason that if something like this happens it'll be front page news. Small price to pay IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I see your point but I don't feel bad for him. It's not like this kind of thing happens to everyone. I've been in a couple marriages and nothing like this ever happened.

Tiger has received a lot of fame and fortune and it serves to reason that if something like this happens it'll be front page news. Small price to pay IMO.
    I suppose. I've got a few pretty hair-raising stories I could tell about bricks through my front window, cop cars, punches thrown and received. It happens, at least to me. Maybe I'm just weird.

I just feel that Tiger has never made himself out to be anything more than a golfer. About all I know about his is that he promotes Nike and Buick, is a heckuva golfer, and has a gorgeous wife. Its not like he makes political stands, writes fawning books about himself, or puts himself in the public eye as a shining beacon of moral rectitude.

He just plays hellacious golf and makes a boatload of money. Not that anyone cares or that it matters, but I'll cut him a little slack.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    How about his wife having a golf club in her hand at 245AM on the street as a good starting point? And the fact that Tiger's face was busted up?

Silence will only fuel speculation, fair or not.

Whether he's a private person or not, releasing some short statement about the incident (one that isn't very believable) on his website is not going to satisfy the media/fans/critics etc.

Tiger (and his PR person) do have the ability to contain the fire and put it out. They're just choosing to continue to let it burn.

meh small fire burning is not a big deal, big fire exploding (when Tiger throws gas on it by commenting) is a big deal.

Tiger's smart, he doesn't owe us anything. We're free to speculate but we'll probably be distracted by a new rabbit in a week or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2009/12...y5845683.shtml

Tiger Woods' Problem And Why Not To Talk To Police

Posted by Declan McCullagh
    news analysis

Whatever happened between Tiger Woods and his wife last Friday, by now they're probably wishing they never talked to the police.

The initial reports said Woods lost control of his Cadillac SUV outside of his home and hit a fire hydrant and tree in his neighbor's yard. His wife, Elin Nordegren, reportedly told local police that she was in the house and, according to the police chief, "came out and broke the back window with a golf club" to extricate her husband.

But TMZ.com reported on Monday that Woods' wife told a different story to Florida state troopers that involved her searching for him in a golf cart, and that there was no blood on the steering wheel. That opens the couple up to the possibility of an investigation of spousal abuse on the possibility that the injuries were suffered before his accident; TMZ claims the Florida Highway Patrol is seeking a search warrant after Woods turned them away from his home three times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI...layer_embedded

(Here's Woods' statement, and a CBS News report about an alleged other woman.)

Let Tiger and Elin's encounter with the local constabulary be a warning to you: Don't talk to the police without your lawyer present. Even if you're innocent. Just don't.

This advice may seem counter-intuitive. But before you convince yourself I'm wrong, it's worth watching this video (below) by James Duane, a professor at the Regent University School of Law in Virginia Beach and former criminal defense attorney, who makes precisely this point about your Fifth Amendment rights. (Here's a rebuttalrebuttal from a police officer who agrees.)

One reason is that the list of what is and what isn't a crime has grown so long that even lawyers can barely figure it out. The American Bar Association has only an estimate of how many crimes exist: Offhand, do you know what is and isn't legal? Another is that, if the police already have a sufficient reason to arrest you, you're not going to be able to talk your way out of it.

Plus, the recollection of police officers can be mistaken; they may say you acknowledged guilt of some sort. Who do you think a judge will believe? The Innocence Project reports that: "In about 25 percent of DNA exoneration cases, innocent defendants made incriminating statements, delivered outright confessions or pled guilty."

The folks at Flex Your Rights, a non-profit group, have put together a less lawyerly, more comprehensive video titled: "BUSTED: The Citizen's Guide to Surviving Police Encounters." And of course, when dealing with federal police, telling them any "materially false" statement is a federal crime.

It's one thing if you call the police if, say, your wallet is stolen. But when they initiate the conversation and you may be a suspect, it's rarely in your best interests to talk. Just don't.

Because Tiger Woods' wife chose to speak with police, now she and her husband have become (at least if you believe TMZ) the focus of an criminal investigation. Remember, you have the right to remain silent. Use it.
    Last edited by Unassisted; 12-01-2009 at 02:10 PM.
    /r/reds

Turn Off Ads?