Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who are your choices for the Hall of Fame (Select no more than 10)

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Roberto Alomar

63 80.77%
  • Harold Baines

4 5.13%
  • Bert Blyleven

59 75.64%
  • Andre Dawson

33 42.31%
  • Barry Larkin

76 97.44%
  • Edgar Martinez

25 32.05%
  • Don Mattingly

7 8.97%
  • Fred McGriff

16 20.51%
  • Mark McGwire

25 32.05%
  • Jack Morris

18 23.08%
  • Dale Murphy

18 23.08%
  • Dave Parker

15 19.23%
  • Tim Raines

37 47.44%
  • Lee Smith

27 34.62%
  • Alan Trammell

28 35.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2010 Hall of Fame ballot released

Re: 2010 Hall of Fame ballot released

Larkin
    Alomar
    Blyleven
    Dawson
    McGriff
    Morris
    Raines
    L. Smith
    Trammel

Why the lack of love for the Crime Dog? Put his #'s next to those of most any that list and he smokes them and he did play defense (at a high level) and was never linked to 'roids. The man even stole 75 bases, not too shabby for a 1st bagger. I nearly added Dave Parker too but I had to cut off somewhere and I couldn't quite justify it.

On Martinez and Baines my position is you'd better have some specific milestone #'s or a smidge better (because their career was extended by the position) than most to get in and I just don't feel they qualify.

On McGwire, I believe he used roids and I think if it's illegal then it's in the rules even if it's not spelled out for them specifically IMO. Therefore you cheat you don't make it, sadly same goes for others of that ilk.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    The Hall of Fame ballot, please …
    By Brian Kollars | Tuesday, December 22, 2009, 01:09 PM

Hal McCoy on the Hall of Fame:

The Hall of Fame ballot is signed, sealed and hopefully (Please, Mr. Postman) delivered.

Shortly after I mailed it, I picked up the Dayton Daily News and saw where esteemed colleague Sean McClelland had written about his ballot. You may ask why McClelland is voting on the Hall of Fame? To be a voter, one must be a member of the Baseball Writers Association of America for more than 10 years.

Before coming to Dayton, McClelland covered the Yankees and Mets for a newspaper in New Jersey and when he came to Dayton he covered some games on my days off.

But I digress.

I found it interesting that his ballot was almost identical to mine, with a couple of minor exceptions. And we never once discussed the ballot.

We agreed on voting for Barry Larkin, Andre Dawson, Bert Blyleven and Lee Smith.

We differed in that he voted for Mark McGwire, Roberto Alomar and Jack Morris. I didn’t vote for those three and I voted for Edgar Martinez.

I’m already on record as to why I don’t vote for McGwire. Says McClelland, “… Because that home run total (583) is hard to ignore and every era has it scoundrels.”

I can ignore McGwire because he ignored Congress when asked about steroid use by saying, “I’m not here to talk about the past.” Well, if he isn’t willing to talk about his past, then I’m not willing to consider his past on the baseball field.

McClelland also points out that other scoundrels are in the Hall of Fame, citing racist Ty Cobb, who once went into the stands to beat up a fan. I didn’t vote for Cobb, either. No writer did. When Cobb was in the first class of Hall inductees, he wasn’t voted in by writers.

Sean (and I’m not picking on him, it’s just that he made his ballot public and made some comments) voted for relief pitcher Lee Smith, as did I. And he said Smith should have been voted in by now. To that, I heartily agree. He said Smith isn’t in yet because the electorate tends to shun relief pitchers.

The same could be said about designated hitters. Edgar Martinez is a designated hitter - and, yes, as a National League guy, I hate the DH was much as I hate pot roast, even though I eat it to keep a semblance of peace in the McCoy household because the boss makes it, cooks it and eats it.

But Martinez is, by far, the all-time best DH in the history of the game. So if he is the best ever, he belongs in the Hall of Fame.

We both voted for Blyleven and I can’t understand why he doesn’t get the 75 percent needed to induction, just as I don’t understand Andre Dawson missing every year. Blyleven was 271-231 with a 3.22 ERA, pitching mostly for gosh-awful teams. I am staging a bit of a protest myself, not voting for Jack Morris (whom Sean voted for) until Blyleven makes it.

Blylven had 262 COMPLETE GAMES and 60 SHUTOUTS. Think of that - 60 of his 271 wins were shutouts, mostly because he usually had to pitch a shutout to win.

Jack Morris was 254-186 with 175 complete games and 28 shutouts. Until Blyleven makes it, I’ll look no further at Morris.

Finally, we get to Alomar, the guy with glossy numbers but who sullied his name forever by spitting into an umpire’s face. Again, Sean points out the scoundrels already in the Hall of Fame and it wouldn’t surprise me to learn that Ty Cobb not only spit in an umpire’s face, but probably punched a few or at least stepped hard on their feet with his spikes.

But this is my ballot and it says character should be part of the equation. Spitting in an umpire’s face is not Hall of Fame stuff to me, except maybe The Kleenex Hall of Fame.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs...cxtype=feedbot
    How can you hate pot roast?

Really Hal?

who didn't vote for Larkin? How can you be a Reds fan and watched the guy play and not vote for him? silliness I say.

Edit: I figured out one of them and they voted for Raines and Alomar, but not Larkin. Explain that?
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Why the lack of love for the Crime Dog?

Probably the Tom Emanski thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Most of the comments on Hals blog disagree with his opinion.

I voted for Alomar, Larkin, Blyleven and Raines, the four guys who were "no doubters" for me.
    I could make a decent argument for pretty much everyone on the ballot and I might very well vote to induct several more players upon further reflection.
    Hal McCoy is nuts.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Hal McCoy is nuts.
    I assume and hope he loses his HOF vote once he retires as a sportswriter?
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

I messed up and left Tim Rains off my ballot.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    I messed up and left Tim Rains off my ballot.
    Just like Hal.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    Just like Hal.
    Mine was an honest mistake not an act of vengeance.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Mine was an honest mistake not an act of vengeance.
    Raines did coke. Can't have someone like that in the Hall.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

O.J. Simpson is in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, right?

If that's the standard set for Halls of Fame, then vote away!
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    O.J. Simpson is in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, right?

If that's the standard set for Halls of Fame, then vote away!

Well, O.J. made it in before the murder. I believe Billy Cannon is in the college football HOF even though he was convicted of counterfeiting.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Why the lack of love for the Crime Dog? Put his #'s next to those of most any that list and he smokes them and he did play defense (at a high level) and was never linked to 'roids. The man even stole 75 bases, not too shabby for a 1st bagger. ...
    I almost added McGriff but he just missed the cut for me. But I just saw something interesting that's kinda related. Troy Glaus would be the Braves' 11th opening day first baseman in 12 seasons if he signs in Atlanta. Bet they'd like it if McGriff came out of retirement.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Probably the Tom Emanski thing.
    LOL, I loved the garbage can throwing drills.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?