Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who are your choices for the Hall of Fame (Select no more than 10)

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Roberto Alomar

63 80.77%
  • Harold Baines

4 5.13%
  • Bert Blyleven

59 75.64%
  • Andre Dawson

33 42.31%
  • Barry Larkin

76 97.44%
  • Edgar Martinez

25 32.05%
  • Don Mattingly

7 8.97%
  • Fred McGriff

16 20.51%
  • Mark McGwire

25 32.05%
  • Jack Morris

18 23.08%
  • Dale Murphy

18 23.08%
  • Dave Parker

15 19.23%
  • Tim Raines

37 47.44%
  • Lee Smith

27 34.62%
  • Alan Trammell

28 35.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2010 Hall of Fame ballot released

Re: 2010 Hall of Fame ballot released

Interesting comment I heard on Edgar. After every at bat he had the ability to go and study film. He didn't have to go into the field and could focus on one thing and one thing only. There is no way I would ever vote (fat chance I ever get a vote) for a DH.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    Even after all these years, when I think of Roberto Alomar, I think of him spitting in the umpire's face.
    I hope what Alomar did to the umpire has zero bearing on if he gets in the HOF or not. Conflicts happen all the time between players, coaches and umpires and even though Alomar was clearly wrong, one incident shouldn't have a bearing on if he gets in the HOF or not. As long as the player or coach shows a bit of remorse after the dust has settled, then for the most part umpires really don't hold grudges, hopefully the writers won't either.
    Last edited by George Anderson; 12-17-2009 at 12:24 PM.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

I voted for everyone except Baines, Martinez, McGwire, and Mattingly. Now I realize I voted for 11. Lee Smith was the one I voted for by accident.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Larkin, Alomar, McGwire, Smith, Raines, Blyleven and Dawson.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Larkin, Martinez, Alomar, and McGwire

Martinez from 95-2001
    OPS

OPS+

One of the best RH hitters of all time. DH or not he gets my vote.
    Last edited by thatcoolguy_22; 12-18-2009 at 04:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I voted for everyone except Baines, Martinez, McGwire, and Mattingly. Now I realize I voted for 11. Lee Smith was the one I voted for by accident.
    Cheater

It's interesting that the early results have only three players receiving the 75% of the vote required for election:

Larkin 96.55%
    Alomar 79.31%
    Blyleven 75.86%

I know this is just for fun, and that there might be a little bias with the voting for Larkin but, like George Anderson pointed out, he's not a lock to make it no matter what we think. I'm just hoping he receives a little more consideration than Concepcion received. Hopefully Concepcion will get more respect from the Veterans Committee like Mazeroski.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Interesting comment I heard on Edgar. After every at bat he had the ability to go and study film.
    what a dirty rotten performance-enhancing cheater

he did face hardships though. Junior kept moving his comfy video chair. and the Big Unit kept replacing atbat video with video of, well, the big unit.
    2015, baby!

Hal McCoy says he didn't vote for Roberto Alomar because he spit in that umpires face.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Hal McCoy says he didn't vote for Roberto Alomar because he spit in that umpires face.
    It was a horrible thing to do but it shouldn't keep him out of the Hall of Fame. IIRC, Alomar and that umpire are friends now.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 12-22-2009 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Hal will vote for Pete Rose but not Alomar?

What Rose did is a bunch times more worse than what Alomar did.

Babe Ruth actually attacked an umpire, I guess Hal wouldn't of voted for him either?
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

The Hall of Fame ballot, please …
    By Brian Kollars | Tuesday, December 22, 2009, 01:09 PM

Hal McCoy on the Hall of Fame:

The Hall of Fame ballot is signed, sealed and hopefully (Please, Mr. Postman) delivered.

Shortly after I mailed it, I picked up the Dayton Daily News and saw where esteemed colleague Sean McClelland had written about his ballot. You may ask why McClelland is voting on the Hall of Fame? To be a voter, one must be a member of the Baseball Writers Association of America for more than 10 years.

Before coming to Dayton, McClelland covered the Yankees and Mets for a newspaper in New Jersey and when he came to Dayton he covered some games on my days off.

But I digress.

I found it interesting that his ballot was almost identical to mine, with a couple of minor exceptions. And we never once discussed the ballot.

We agreed on voting for Barry Larkin, Andre Dawson, Bert Blyleven and Lee Smith.

We differed in that he voted for Mark McGwire, Roberto Alomar and Jack Morris. I didn’t vote for those three and I voted for Edgar Martinez.

I’m already on record as to why I don’t vote for McGwire. Says McClelland, “… Because that home run total (583) is hard to ignore and every era has it scoundrels.”

I can ignore McGwire because he ignored Congress when asked about steroid use by saying, “I’m not here to talk about the past.” Well, if he isn’t willing to talk about his past, then I’m not willing to consider his past on the baseball field.

McClelland also points out that other scoundrels are in the Hall of Fame, citing racist Ty Cobb, who once went into the stands to beat up a fan. I didn’t vote for Cobb, either. No writer did. When Cobb was in the first class of Hall inductees, he wasn’t voted in by writers.

Sean (and I’m not picking on him, it’s just that he made his ballot public and made some comments) voted for relief pitcher Lee Smith, as did I. And he said Smith should have been voted in by now. To that, I heartily agree. He said Smith isn’t in yet because the electorate tends to shun relief pitchers.

The same could be said about designated hitters. Edgar Martinez is a designated hitter - and, yes, as a National League guy, I hate the DH was much as I hate pot roast, even though I eat it to keep a semblance of peace in the McCoy household because the boss makes it, cooks it and eats it.

But Martinez is, by far, the all-time best DH in the history of the game. So if he is the best ever, he belongs in the Hall of Fame.

We both voted for Blyleven and I can’t understand why he doesn’t get the 75 percent needed to induction, just as I don’t understand Andre Dawson missing every year. Blyleven was 271-231 with a 3.22 ERA, pitching mostly for gosh-awful teams. I am staging a bit of a protest myself, not voting for Jack Morris (whom Sean voted for) until Blyleven makes it.

Blylven had 262 COMPLETE GAMES and 60 SHUTOUTS. Think of that - 60 of his 271 wins were shutouts, mostly because he usually had to pitch a shutout to win.

Jack Morris was 254-186 with 175 complete games and 28 shutouts. Until Blyleven makes it, I’ll look no further at Morris.

Finally, we get to Alomar, the guy with glossy numbers but who sullied his name forever by spitting into an umpire’s face. Again, Sean points out the scoundrels already in the Hall of Fame and it wouldn’t surprise me to learn that Ty Cobb not only spit in an umpire’s face, but probably punched a few or at least stepped hard on their feet with his spikes.

But this is my ballot and it says character should be part of the equation. Spitting in an umpire’s face is not Hall of Fame stuff to me, except maybe The Kleenex Hall of Fame.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs...cxtype=feedbot

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Babe Ruth actually attacked an umpire, I guess Hal wouldn't of voted for him either?
    I guess not.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

I can ignore McGwire because he ignored Congress when asked about steroid use by saying, “I’m not here to talk about the past.” Well, if he isn’t willing to talk about his past, then I’m not willing to consider his past on the baseball field.
    I admire Hal, but this reasoning doesn't fly to me. What Mac did or did not tell Congress has no bearing on his on-field HOF candidacy. If he talked to Congress and admitted juicing, then he'd be a HOFer? Silly.

I was at a social function a few years ago with a guy who happened to write for Baseball Prospectus, and he told me what he understood to be the story behind the spitting incident. It's not something I feel comfortable posting online, but let me say this: while spitting on an umpire is inexcusable, if what this guy told me is true I can understand how it could have happened.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

I would of thought we would have more than 47 voters in this poll.

Turn Off Ads?