Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 26 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 376

Thread: UC Football 2009 Season pt. 2

  1. #1
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 513
    Posts
    12,643

    UC Football 2009 Season pt. 2

    Continue all discussions of or relating to the University of Cincinnati tackle football program here.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,437

    Re: UC Football 2009 Season pt. 2

    As opposed to the touch football program?
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  4. #3
    All Fired Up Revering4Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    1,504

    Re: UC Football 2009 Season pt. 2

    he players were pleased to dent the rep of another big conference. Illinois isn’t good, but the Big Ten was clearly schooled by a Big East club.

    Add this one to UC’s win at Oregon State – which will play Oregon next week for the Pac-10 title and a Rose Bowl appearance – and it’s not hard to see that conference affiliation doesn’t guarantee success the way it used to.

    And those who still snicker at the Big East have some homework to do. Who’s clearly better than the Bearcats at this point? Who knows?

    Texas, likely title-game participant? Not necessarily, cowboy.

    The mighty Longhorns got all they wanted Thursday from a 6-5 Texas A&M team that had lost by a combined 127-24 to two Big 12 partners, Oklahoma and nondescript Kansas State. The Aggies ran up 532 yards on Texas’ supposedly tight defense. If they’d tackled well, they might have won.

    That leaves the SEC and its superiority complex. Could UC tame Tim Tebow and beat Florida? Could the Bearcats muscle up with Alabama? I don’t know. And neither do you.

    This is why we need a playoff. Not just to identify a true champion. The BCS does that, more often than not. It’s not just about winning and losing, or shouldn’t be. It’s about having the chance. It’s about letting other worthies into the ring. Whether they play in a pedigreed league or not.

    “We shouldn’t be looked at as a conference not deserving of its BCS bid,’’ said Kelly.

    He was right, but he didn’t take it far enough. UC deserves a BCS bowl, if it beats Pitt next week. It also deserves a puncher’s chance at a title game.

    For now, the Bearcats will have to be satisfied with playing Pitt for a likely trip to the Sugar Bowl, where they’d play either Florida or Alabama. Wouldn’t that be interesting?
    http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...rve-title-shot

  5. #4
    SERP Emeritus paintmered's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Cbus
    Posts
    7,048

    Re: UC Football 2009 Season pt. 2

    The Notre Dame/Stanford game has implications for UC. If Stanford wins, then ND is shut out of the Gator Bowl in favor of the Big East #2. If ND wins, then the Big East #2 is headed to the Car Care Bowl instead.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

  6. #5
    Member cincrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    South Vienna, OH
    Posts
    4,382

    Re: UC Football 2009 Season pt. 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    I'm not sure how the Illinois game puts a dent in the Big 10. Illinois is putrid, and they dropped 37 on UC.

    A win is a win, but I don't think this makes the Big 10 look inferior by any stretch.

  7. #6
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,960

    Re: UC Football 2009 Season pt. 2

    Those 'mediocre' 'middle of the road' SEC teams that CE and others were talking about showed the truth of the conference today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,419

    Re: UC Football 2009 Season pt. 2

    Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Those 'mediocre' 'middle of the road' SEC teams that CE and others were talking about showed the truth of the conference today.

  9. #8
    1st pick 2022 B.B. draft George Foster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Ky
    Posts
    5,951

    Re: UC Football 2009 Season pt. 2

    Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    I'm not sure how the Illinois game puts a dent in the Big 10. Illinois is putrid, and they dropped 37 on UC.

    A win is a win, but I don't think this makes the Big 10 look inferior by any stretch.
    Inferior compared to who?
    Not this year...maybe a Wild Card

  10. #9
    SERP Emeritus paintmered's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Cbus
    Posts
    7,048

    Re: UC Football 2009 Season pt. 2

    Now, Rutgers needs to beat WVU to ensure the Gator Bowl doesn't select the 'Eers over a 1-loss UC.

    Bottom line, UC needs to beat Pitt because I have a bad feeling that bowl games are all too willing to pass them over. And as ridiculous as it is to think the Big Ten deserves two BCS, the powers that be will select Iowa or Penn State, or even Boise State over UC.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

  11. #10
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Re: UC Football 2009 Season pt. 2

    Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Now, Rutgers needs to beat WVU to ensure the Gator Bowl doesn't select the 'Eers over a 1-loss UC.

    Bottom line, UC needs to beat Pitt because I have a bad feeling that bowl games are all too willing to pass them over. And as ridiculous as it is to think the Big Ten deserves two BCS, the powers that be will select Iowa or Penn State, or even Boise State over UC.
    Penn State beat only two teams this season with a winning record (Temple and Northwestern). They don't deserve to be anywhere near a BCS bowl, IMO. The same goes for Iowa. It would be a shame if Boise State or Cincy gets passed over in favor of one of those two teams.

  12. #11
    Worst Behavior. reds44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    25,403

    Re: UC Football 2009 Season pt. 2

    Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Penn State beat only two teams this season with a winning record (Temple and Northwestern). They don't deserve to be anywhere near a BCS bowl, IMO. The same goes for Iowa. It would be a shame if Boise State or Cincy gets passed over in favor of one of those two teams.
    Would a one loss Cincy team be anywhere near the draw that Penn State would? No way.

  13. #12
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Re: UC Football 2009 Season pt. 2

    Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Would a one loss Cincy team be anywhere near the draw that Penn State would? No way.
    I don't care about that stuff. Cincinnati is more deserving of a BCS bowl.

  14. #13
    SERP Emeritus paintmered's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Cbus
    Posts
    7,048

    Re: UC Football 2009 Season pt. 2

    Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I don't care about that stuff. Cincinnati is more deserving of a BCS bowl.
    Unfortunately, the bowl system doesn't see it that way. They have bills to pay and money to raise. The (incorrect) perception is that Cincy doesn't travel and so they'll defer to the "established" programs. But hey, Rome wasn't built in a day and UC won't climb the mountain overnight. And even if they do, the national media won't recognize it.

    It's hard to break into the good 'ole boys club.
    Last edited by paintmered; 11-29-2009 at 01:31 AM.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

  15. #14
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 513
    Posts
    12,643

    Re: UC Football 2009 Season pt. 2

    Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Unfortunately, the bowl system doesn't see it that way. They have bills to pay and money to raise. The (incorrect) perception is that Cincy doesn't travel and so they'll defer to the "established" programs. But hey, Rome wasn't built in a day and UC won't climb the mountain overnight. And even if they do, the national media won't recognize it.

    It's hard to break into the good 'ole boys club.
    UC will have an opportunity to help themselves out this weekend if they get a lot of fans to Pittsburgh for the game. I know they sold out their allotment of tickets (~4k) about 3 or 4 weeks ago, and it seems like a lot of people are making the drive to go. I'm sure there will be bowl representatives in attendance to note the visitor presence.

    I'm not sure it'll matter, but every little bit helps.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

  16. #15
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 513
    Posts
    12,643

    Re: UC Football 2009 Season pt. 2

    Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Those 'mediocre' 'middle of the road' SEC teams that CE and others were talking about showed the truth of the conference today.
    Isn't "looks like crap one week, looks good the next" the very definition of mediocre and middle of the road?
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25