Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: UC Football 2009 Season pt. 2

Re: UC Football 2009 Season pt. 2

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    So why did Urban Meyer, Bob Stoops, and whoever else come out saying they are staying at their schools? Are they stupid or are they lying? Or is it they don't play big league hardball with their adminstrations (for whatever reason)?

Kelly says these foggy things and I have a hard time reading his tea leaves. I think the bald truth is that no matter what UC does, Kelly will go to ND if its offered.

Meyer and Stoops are definately at colleges with more to offer in the way of Facilities and sallaries than UC right now. Kelly definately has a reason to play hardball while they really don't have to at this point. Kelly might want to go to ND but not want to lose the oppurtunity to gain at UC if ND doesn't offer him the job. I just don't think Meyer and Stoops are in the same situation as Kelly so its comparing apples to oranges.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by acredsfan View Post
    Brian Kelly is at a school with no separate practice fields, a stadium that holds only 35,000 fans, and a school whose fan base is a major question. I can see where the hardball argument has some major tread. Stoops, Meyer and the like aren't fighting to get better facilities or more money, so it stands to reason that they can make the "I'm staying" statements much more easily than Brian can in his situation. I'd love to see him stay, but I can't say I'd blame him for leaving. I just hope UC does everything it can to get the job done, with or without BK.
    That's a good read on the situation. I'd agree.

Interesting article at SI on Urban Meyer. Intense guy.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...3435/index.htm

Pay attention to the open sky

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    Imagine if UC loses, they are sent to the Car Care Bowl and BK leaves....how far does that set back the program? What would the crowds look like next year? What does that do to recruiting?

I don't think you can overstate how big the game tomorrow is.
    I'm a UC fan, but I think it sets the program back years. The fans, and boosters who donate money, really believe BK when he says he's staying. If he leaves, they are going to be bitter. I'll be bitter. It sounds petty, but if he goes to Notre Dame I hope he falls on his face like the past 3 coaches they hired. I think it would be fitting if he got canned and ends up back in a non-BCS conference like the MAC. Yeah it's spiteful, but that is how I'd feel, just being honest.

As for the bowl, an 11-1 team, that would probably still be in the top 10, playing in the car care bowl would be a complete joke. If UC had the money (which they don't) and they don't get a BCS at large and and get invited to that game, I'd decline to play in it. It's the day after Christmas, most fans aren't going to want, or be able, to travel to that game given the date.

If UC loses, and doesn't get a BCS at large, I think BK will use that as his excuse to leave. In reality he'd be leaving for one thing, money, but he'd claim he can't compete for a national championship here.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Imagine if UC loses, they are sent to the Car Care Bowl and BK leaves....how far does that set back the program? What would the crowds look like next year? What does that do to recruiting?

Even if the new hire is close to Brian Kelly's caliber (top-25 coach, able to maximize potential of 3-star level recruits, and excellent ability to work alums and administration), the program is probably going to be set back 2 or 3 years.

If the next hire is a total whiff (Kragthorp or Zook style), the program will be set back a decade (possibly more) easily.

It's amazing to contemplate, but there exists two very real possibilities for UC Football -- the "nightmare" and the "dream" scenario. Both are, to a certain extent, equally likely:

DREAM: Beat Pitt. Texas loses. UC accepts bad to National Title Game in Pasadena. Notre Dame hires elsewhere (not wanting to wait until January)

NIGHTMARE: Lose to Pitt. Kelly announced as head coach of Notre Dame. Bid accepted to the Muffler Bowl in Charollte.

This weekend, on paper, has the potential to be the greatest weekend in the history of UC Football and the potential to be the worst weekend in the history of UC Football.

Further, there's a very real chance that this weekend and this game will represent the highest point UC Football ever reaches -- undefeated, 1 win @ Pitt & 1 Texas loss away from the National Championship game. Tons of teams, even BCS level teams, never reach this points. Many programs haven't seen this point since the color TV was invented.

It's crazy, but that's what this weekend is for UC. Could be the weekend that launches the program into elite status. Could be the weekend where it all crashes and burns, destined never to reach this height again. As a sports fan, it's absolutely amazing. As a UC fan, it's absolutely terrifying.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Even if the new hire is close to Brian Kelly's caliber (top-25 coach, able to maximize potential of 3-star level recruits, and excellent ability to work alums and administration), the program is probably going to be set back 2 or 3 years.

If the next hire is a total whiff (Kragthorp or Zook style), the program will be set back a decade (possibly more) easily.

It's amazing to contemplate, but there exists two very real possibilities for UC Football -- the "nightmare" and the "dream" scenario. Both are, to a certain extent, equally likely:

DREAM: Beat Pitt. Texas loses. UC accepts bad to National Title Game in Pasadena. Notre Dame hires elsewhere (not wanting to wait until January)

NIGHTMARE: Lose to Pitt. Kelly announced as head coach of Notre Dame. Bid accepted to the Muffler Bowl in Charollte.

This weekend, on paper, has the potential to be the greatest weekend in the history of UC Football and the potential to be the worst weekend in the history of UC Football.

Further, there's a very real chance that this weekend and this game will represent the highest point UC Football ever reaches -- undefeated, 1 win @ Pitt & 1 Texas loss away from the National Championship game. Tons of teams, even BCS level teams, never reach this points. Many programs haven't seen this point since the color TV was invented.

It's crazy, but that's what this weekend is for UC. Could be the weekend that launches the program into elite status. Could be the weekend where it all crashes and burns, destined never to reach this height again. As a sports fan, it's absolutely amazing. As a UC fan, it's absolutely terrifying.
    Fortune favors the bold.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

CE, good post. Reading how big this weekend is for UC football makes my stomach turn. It will not be easy sleeping tonight...unless I drink enough cold ones, then I typically don't have a problem.

Do us all a favor in the Big East and beat those d0ucheb@g$! The BE needs you guys to go undefeated, and like you said that game is huge for your program. If sPitt happens to win you're right, it could set you guys back like they did us in 2007. Trust me tomorrow at noon I'm not only an Eer fan but also a Bearcat fan! And of course I'll be one in your bowl game as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post

I know what you guys are feeling...I remember this 2 years ago when we literally destroyed UConn and was ranked 1st in the Coaches poll (IMO the only one that should matter) for a week until Pitt dashed our MNC hopes and set our program back 8-15 years. Hope you guys don't have to witness the horror us WV fans have to the hands of sPitt and Rodrigeuz.

Quote Originally Posted by will5979 View Post
    I know what you guys are feeling...I remember this 2 years ago when we literally destroyed UConn and was ranked 1st in the Coaches poll (IMO the only one that should matter) for a week until Pitt dashed our MNC hopes and set our program back 8-15 years. Hope you guys don't have to witness the horror us WV fans have to the hands of sPitt and Rodrigeuz.
    Very true, and a very good comp for what could happen to UC. That loss to Pitt gutted the WV program.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    That loss to Pitt gutted the WV program.
    WV won the Fiesta Bowl a few weeks later and is likely to finish up a 9-3 season tomorrow. Let's not go crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    WV won the Fiesta Bowl a few weeks later and is likely to finish up a 9-3 season tomorrow. Let's not go crazy.
    Well in WVU standards for 80s and 90s an 8-3 record was great...in this decade it is slightly above average. Probably a C+ if you are grading.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Very true, and a very good comp for what could happen to UC. That loss to Pitt gutted the WV program.
    It also gutted the Michigan program.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    It also gutted the Michigan program.
    Well on the bright side it couldn't have happened to a better program!

At least one positive came out of this!

The officials are making themselves known too much in this game.

Last team with the ball wins. Also, it occurs to me that ND just fired an offensive genius who couldn't keep other teams from scoring.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Turn Off Ads?