Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is Redszone's #16 prospect?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Danny Dorn

9 10.98%
  • Matt Fairel

1 1.22%
  • Josh Fellhauer

2 2.44%
  • Mariekson Gregorius

0 0%
  • Donnie Joseph

2 2.44%
  • Sam Lecure

1 1.22%
  • Devin Mesoraco

37 45.12%
  • Logan Ondrusek

3 3.66%
  • Miguel Rojas

1 1.22%
  • Enerio Del Rosario

0 0%
  • Mark Serrano

2 2.44%
  • Juan Silva

12 14.63%
  • Jordan Smith

1 1.22%
  • Juan Carlos Sulbaran

8 9.76%
  • Philippe-Alexandre Valiquette

0 0%
  • Humberto Valor

0 0%
  • Pedro Viola

3 3.66%
  • Other - Name him

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who is Redszone's #16 prospect?

Who is Redszone's #16 prospect?

Prospect #1 - Yonder Alonso
    Prospect #2 - Mike Leake
    Prospect #3 - Todd Frazier
    Prospect #4 - Juan Francisco
    Prospect #5 - Yorman Rodriguez
    Prospect #6 - Travis Wood
    Prospect #7 - Chris Heisey
    Prospect #8 - Zack Cozart
    Prospect #9 - Brad Boxberger
    Prospect #10 - Neftali Soto
    Prospect #11 - Matt Maloney
    Prospect #12 - Billy Hamilton
    Prospect #13 - Chris Valaika
    Prospect #14 - Matt Klinker
    Prospect #15 - Juan Duran

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who is Redszone's #16 prospect?

With Duran in, time to make the move to Mesoraco... Liked the improvement I saw from what is still a very raw player at a keystone position...
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Went Serrano. Think he can move up system quickly. It will be a long time before I go to Mesoraco. He's shown me nothing.

Fairel.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Ondrusek

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Mesoraco. Defense improved. Peripherals look good. Hit for some real solid power in the FSL.

Juan Silva had nine doubles and seven triples in 143 at bats playing at age eighteen in the GCL. Peripherals were good, OPS was .833. Eye catching performance for a young talent.

Mes is learning defensively and is still a .700 OPS minor league hitter. He's the first draft choice, but I'll go with Silva here.

Suggest Tuttle and Cline for the chart next time.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-29-2009 at 02:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Juan Silva had nine doubles and seven triples in 143 at bats playing at age eighteen in the GCL. Peripherals were good, OPS was .833. Eye catching performance for a young talent.

Mes is learning defensively and is still a .700 OPS minor league hitter. He's the first draft choice, but I'll go with Silva here.

Suggest Tuttle and Cline for the chart next time.
    Not sure Silva had good peripherals with a 27% strikeout rate. The walk and power rates were good, but that strikeout rate was VERY high.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Not sure Silva had good peripherals with a 27% strikeout rate. The walk and power rates were good, but that strikeout rate was VERY high.
    Mesoraco fanned 24.3 percent of his official at bats and had an OPS around .140 lower than Silva.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-29-2009 at 02:56 PM.

I could make the case for Mes or Silva... When it comes down to it though, I have to look at who could have a bigger impact at a more important position... The Reds are loaded in the outfield, and some of our top prospects project to play in the outfield... That's why I gave the nod to the guy that plays the more important position defensively, and looked to finally start to put it together in the second half...
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Mesoraco fanned 24.3 percent of his official at bats and had an OPS around .140 lower than Silva.
    Well if we use at bats, then Silva was much higher. I use plate appearances though.

Stat comparison for the ones that actually matter (hint: OPS isn't one of them)
    Code:
    Player	         BB%	K%	IsoP	Level
    Mesoraco	9.80%	21.30%	.153	A+
    Silva	       12.70%	27.10%	.182	Rookie
    I will take Mesoraco's plate discipline because he struck out much less at a much higher level and still have a strong walk rate. Power leans toward Silva right now. Both guys were young for their levels, so no advantage there. Catcher is a much tougher position than corner outfield, so Mesoraco gets an advantage there. Silva has more speed.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Went Serrano. Think he can move up system quickly. It will be a long time before I go to Mesoraco. He's shown me nothing.
    I'm with you on Serrano. The guy is unstoppable at this point. Amazing college career and dominating first year with low walks and high strikeouts. He definitely should be top 20.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Daddy View Post
    I'm with you on Serrano. The guy is unstoppable at this point. Amazing college career and dominating first year with low walks and high strikeouts. He definitely should be top 20.
    I guess the biggest concern is that he starts next year at age 24 with no experience above Dayton. Of course he has the stuff and control that he could move quickly. Still, a lot of pitchers his age have thrown 150 innings in AA by this point.

Dorn's being undervalued by the Reds and their fans. He's a legitimate 280/350/450 everyday player who won't hurt you defensively (despite reports to the contrary) and much better than that if he plays only the LH split in a platoon. Think Johnny Gomes from the south side with less speed but better defense. (Though I also think Gomes LF defense is underrated slightly. Or at least was last season.)

I could see the defense of tagging Serrano or Silva with the spot, as both currently play "need" positions and could stick there in the future (though Serrano grades out better as an elite closer and Silva as a plus RF). I could also see the argument for Fellhauer, as he's a very good CF who enjoyed a very good half season in 09. Ondrusek may have been a good choice prior to his horrid AFL season, and you could always start the run on the SS in the low minors.

On Mesoraco, I'd wait. A long time. Perhaps he makes the bottom end of the Top 30. Maybe. (Though Coddington deserves to be tagged first as a catcher, as he can actually hit the ball.)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I guess the biggest concern is that he starts next year at age 24 with no experience above Dayton. Of course he has the stuff and control that he could move quickly. Still, a lot of pitchers his age have thrown 150 innings in AA by this point.
    I understand what you're saying. He is not an ideal prospect, but he certainly has the chance to take off this year. I wouldn't be surprised to see him in AA by the end of the year. He probably could have played at a higher level this year, but the Reds didn't want to risk it.

Turn Off Ads?