Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Do parents have a right to take unruly kids on a plane?

Re: Do parents have a right to take unruly kids on a plane?

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Two words: duct tape
    That would work.

But seriously, what does a parent do if the child realizes that there is no invisible force field holding her in place, and she can stand up and walk away if she wants?
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    That would work.

But seriously, what does a parent do if the child realizes that there is no invisible force field holding her in place, and she can stand up and walk away if she wants?
    Is that new baby acting up already?
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

That would work.

Sometimes we sit down sort of Indian-style with her between our legs and our arms wrapped around her. We basically give her a big sitting bear hug. It forces her to sit still which she hates. Cured her of crawling on the fireplace hearth after 5 or 6 sessions. We hold her for about 30 seconds which is enough to get the point across that if she craws on the hearth something unpleasant is going to happen (without her getting so worked up she injures herself).

We've also tried the little chair approach. That's more intensive as you have to physically pick her up and plop her back on her chair every time she moves. That one isn't quite as effective because you spend all your time putting her back in her chair but it does get the point across provided you stick to it and don't give in because it's a pain.

We've also used her pack-n-play. While she doesn't exactly "sit still" she is confined and can't do what she wants. We've tried to use it sparingly because we don't want her to hate being in the thing altogether.

Fortunately, she's right on the cusp of talking so our discipline options are about to open up (then again she'll have more reasons to need disciplined if she's anything like her father).
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 12-01-2009 at 04:56 PM.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

That would work.

Well, it's a bit more high maintenance than some folks want to deal with, but my approach is to sit next to them. I have a set amount of time I want them to sit and be quiet before I let them up. If they get up before time is up, I catch them and sit them right back down until they've sat long enough. Before I let them go, I ask them if they understand why they had to sit. Then I ask them what they should do about it. If it's for hitting their brother, they have to say sorry and hug it out. If it's for not picking up after themselves, they have to pick up. It can be a real pain, as my second boy is particularly stubborn, but he eventually gets it.

It's actually something I learned from dog training. When we were training my dog, our instructor told us that dogs have to understand who is boss. The best way to do that is to start out teaching them how to lay down on command. To do that, you sit the dog next to you on the floor, tell them "down," and move their front paws out so that they have to lay down. Keep them in the down position for a set amount of time. If they start to get up, move their front paws back out until they go down again. When time is up, give them the command that lets them know they are free to move about again. For my boys, I just adapted it to a time out situation and added the stuff about explaining to them why they were in time out. It seems odd to use a dog training trick on kids, but it seems to work. It also gives both of us tlme to cool off before we discuss what happened.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    It seems odd to use a dog training trick on kids, but it seems to work.
    I saw this and found it .... interesting? There is a certain amount of merit to it but I don't buy the whole thing. Kids aren't dogs.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/22/fashion/22dog.html

Pay attention to the open sky

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    I knew a few kids who were verbally abused and it was far worse than any spanking. Not beating, but spanking with a reason and an explanation.

Words hurt far longer than any physical pain.
    Yep. And that's where parents have to learn to differentiate the make-up/dispositions of their children. Our youngest, Samuel (14) is one that is far more sensitive. Especially ones of expressing letdown/disappointment in his behavior choices. He seems to take it more to heart. While our daughter Rachel is like her Dad was when growing up - very hard-headed, strong-willed, and at times, it took more then simply words to get through to her. Some how it just didn't register with her. She loved to test the boundaries.

My Mom use to say to us three boys, who were very ornery growing up.... "I hope when you grow up you have three boys just like yourselves. Then you'll see!"

So much truth there.

I love being a parent; but it is a challenge and involves tough decisions. It seems you're "maturing" while your kids are too. And as soon as someone figures out the perfect parenting formula, then please forward me a copy.
    Last edited by GAC; 12-02-2009 at 06:30 AM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    There has to be a balance there. And not all children are the same. There is such a thing, at least IMO, as the strong-willed child.

You obviously, at least IMO, don't spank a child under the age of 2. We never did. But I have always followed the below....

Set reasonable boundaries in accordance to the child's maturity level, and insure they understand them.

Never spank in anger.

Never spank because of actions that result from childish immaturity - spilling a drink, leaving their bike out in the yard, etc.

But when that that child KNOWS those boundaries, and decides they are going to try and stand "toe to toe" with that parental authority, put their foot across the line, and see ifn what the parent says should be taken seriously, then, IMO, definitive action by that parent needs to be taken.

An it may be, depending on that particular child, that "alternative" corrective action will work. Children's dispositions vary.

But afterwards, always follow it up with positive reinforcement with the child.

We spanked. But we did it in accordance to the above rules. And our kids have turned out just fine.

My parent's spanked us. We weren't spanked in every situation. Only when it deserved it. And when I look back on it, BOY did we three boys deserved it every time we got it. It didn't mar us.
    Excellent post. Your guidelines are spot-on with those of my spouse and I.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Is that new baby acting up already?
    Yep. Took my car and bought booze for his friends.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Turn Off Ads?