2 3.28%
  • Write in option

2 3.28%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: RedsZone Heisman Trophy Vote

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Re: RedsZone Heisman Trophy Vote

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I'm pleasantly suprised at the 10 percent figure. Still I question the voting credentions of those turning ballots in before that Saturday.
    I question whether 10% of those voters actually even have a TV.

Looking at that Heisman Voter list...its a doozy.

http://www.stiffarmtrophy.com/voterlist.html

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Also - to add on to that comment about the Heisman Voter list. In 2001 I worked for a media outlet, sitting directly behind the college football beat writer.

That blowhard, who spent his days opining about the time when men were men and football was a true game, not this pansy nonsense with penalties they play today, told everyone and their brother that he left off Rex Grossman completely off his ballot because "a sophomore should never win the Heisman - it's a reflection of that man's full collegieate career".

Instead, he voted for Joey Harrington and Eric Crouch 2nd. Crouch ended up winning by one of the closest margins in recent memory (the only one in the last 30 years that didn't have a winner broach 1000 points). I would have voted for Joey that year too, but to leave Grossman off (which I am sure others did as well) definitely cost him the Heisman and was completely irresponsible.

I love how the media said Ken Dorsey wasn't good enough to win the Heisman because he had so many players around him and then Leinhart wins the Heisman 3-4 years later.

THEN, the next year, they said McGahee and Dorsey wouldn't win the Heisman (finished 4-5) because they would split the votes yet Bush/Lienhart finished 1-2 or 1-3 a few years later.

Quote Originally Posted by DTCromer View Post
    I love how the media said Ken Dorsey wasn't good enough to win the Heisman because he had so many players around him and then Leinhart wins the Heisman 3-4 years later.

THEN, the next year, they said McGahee and Dorsey wouldn't win the Heisman (finished 4-5) because they would split the votes yet Bush/Lienhart finished 1-2 or 1-3 a few years later.
    I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the regional voting and its effect on the Heisman. I think its the biggest reason that Gerhart didn't win the Heisman and that a shame.

As for the Bush Leinhart example I think that was a unique situation. Not only were they largely considered the team of the decade but they also played in LA. They were celebrities for 3-4 years and had all kinds of attention on them. It is unique that a player comes from nowhere and wins the Heisman. I think that was the biggest thing with McGahee and Dorsey. IIRC McGahee was largely unheard of prior to his break out season. Bush and Leinhart were considered the best college football players over a 3 year span.

Turn Off Ads?