Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21

Thread: Kick A Ginger Day

  1. #1
    Member Razor Shines's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    6,329

    Kick A Ginger Day

    I'll bet that the "Ginger Kids" episode of South Park is never shown on TV again.

    3 boys detained for Calif. 'Ginger Day' attacks

    By ROBERT JABLON (AP) Ė 2 hours ago

    LOS ANGELES ó Three boys were booked on suspicion of bullying or kicking red-haired students at a middle school when a "Kick a Ginger Day" prank inspired by a "South Park" episode got out of hand, authorities said Monday.

    A 13-year-old boy was detained last week for investigation of threatening to inflict injury by means of electronic communication ó essentially, cyberbullying. Two 12-year-olds were booked for battery on school property, Los Angeles County sheriff's spokesman Steve Whitmore said.

    The three suspects, whose identities were not released because of their ages, were booked Wednesday and released to their parents. They could face misdemeanor charges, but it was unclear when the case might be submitted for possible prosecution, Whitmore said.

    Four girls and three boys reported that schoolmates shoved or kicked them on Nov. 20 at A.E. Wright Middle School in Calabasas, an affluent suburb of Los Angeles.

    No serious injuries were reported. Most incidents involved a single person kicking a student's shoe or leg, but one youngster was bruised when three or four boys confronted him at once, said Donald Zimring, superintendent of the Las Virgenes Unified School District.

    He may have been kicked in the groin or head while on the ground, although accounts differ, Zimring said.

    "Any time a youngster gets hurt because of a thoughtless act ... there ought to be consequences," Zimring said.

    Assemblies were held Monday at the school to discuss the incident.

    Investigators said the attacks apparently were inspired by a 2005 episode of "South Park" that parodied racial prejudice by having the character Cartman incite a hate campaign against freckled, red-haired "ginger kids."

    The episode apparently inspired the 13-year-old to send his friends a Facebook message declaring "Kick a Ginger Day," Zimring said.

    Most students ignored or deplored the message and some sent "Protect a Ginger Day" counter-messages, but a dozen or so students apparently acted on the joke, Zimring said.

    The students involved were facing discipline ranging from picking up school trash to five-day suspensions. None will be expelled, Zimring said.

    "The youngsters involved understand that this was not acceptable, and they have made various forms of apology and contrition," Zimring said
    .

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,918

    Re: Kick A Ginger Day

    Don't blame South Park for the stupidity of a few teen/preteens. They know right from wrong and South Park didn't change that.

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,206

    Re: Kick A Ginger Day

    So did the school not understand that it was in fact Kick a Ginger Day? And if so why are the kids being punished.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

  5. #4
    Member Tom Servo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    7,858

    Re: Kick A Ginger Day

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Don't blame South Park for the stupidity of a few teen/preteens. They know right from wrong and South Park didn't change that.
    Pretty much.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

  6. #5
    Member Razor Shines's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    6,329

    Re: Kick A Ginger Day

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Don't blame South Park for the stupidity of a few teen/preteens. They know right from wrong and South Park didn't change that.
    I agree completely. I'm just sayin' I bet that episode never airs again.

  7. #6
    Maple SERP savafan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    17,584

    Re: Kick A Ginger Day

    I would hardly call these "attacks". The same kind of stuff went on when I was in school, we just weren't so sensitive to it all back then.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

  8. #7
    He has the Evil Eye! flyer85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    south of the border
    Posts
    23,858

    Re: Kick A Ginger Day

    We have a dog named Ginger, should I ...
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

  9. #8
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,918

    Re: Kick A Ginger Day

    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I would hardly call these "attacks". The same kind of stuff went on when I was in school, we just weren't so sensitive to it all back then.
    Back then you were just trouble makers. Now days, you are brainwashed by tv.

  10. #9
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    43,281

    Re: Kick A Ginger Day

    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    I'll bet that the "Ginger Kids" episode of South Park is never shown on TV again.
    Back in the day the never showed Fonzi jumping the shark after we all tried it ourselves.


  11. #10
    Hisssssssss Yachtzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Land of the Lost
    Posts
    7,267

    Re: Kick A Ginger Day

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Back in the day the never showed Fonzi jumping the shark after we all tried it ourselves.

    Don't forget when we used to try jumping the Snake River Canyon in our rocket cycles.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

  12. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    The Bush Leagues
    Posts
    9,345

    Re: Kick A Ginger Day

    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    I'll bet that the "Ginger Kids" episode of South Park is never shown on TV again. .
    Why stop with one episode?

  13. #12
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,712

    Re: Kick A Ginger Day

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Don't blame South Park for the stupidity of a few teen/preteens. They know right from wrong and South Park didn't change that.
    So, if the South Park character promoted "kick a gay day," that's just innocuous TV and anyone taking the suggestion to action would not be the responsibility of the show's producers?

    BTW, the punishment was given to the children, showing them that they are responsible for their actions, but I'm not sure why that means that you excuse irresponsibility in the media. As I demonstrated above, folks understand perfectly the ability of a television program to promote certain behaviors and certainly would not support a program that promoted a politically incorrect action be taken.

    Further, with hate crimes legislation on the horizon, a TV show could be responsible for a crime if they spoke in a politically incorrect way against some protected class, like a preacher preaching a sermon that claims homosexuality is wrong and airing it on TV, radio or internet.
    Last edited by traderumor; 12-03-2009 at 10:05 AM.

  14. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,206

    Re: Kick A Ginger Day

    Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    So, if the South Park character promoted "kick a gay day," that's just innocuous TV and anyone taking the suggestion to action would not be the responsibility of the show's producers?

    BTW, the punishment was given to the children, showing them that they are responsible for their actions, but I'm not sure why that means that you excuse irresponsibility in the media. As I demonstrated above, folks understand perfectly the ability of a television program to promote certain behaviors and certainly would not support a program that promoted a politically incorrect action be taken.

    Further, with hate crimes legislation on the horizon, a TV show could be responsible for a crime if they spoke in a politically incorrect way against some protected class, like a preacher preaching a sermon that claims homosexuality is wrong and airing it on TV, radio or internet.
    I dunno TR, obviously South Park created an allegory to the number of hate crimes you mentioned. THe fact that three kids saw Cartman's actions as those that should be followed speaks more to the kids than to the medium they saw it.
    People watching All in the Family knew Archie Bunker was not someone to be admired. I think the majority of human beings can see that Cartman is not someone to be admired.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

  15. #14
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,712

    Re: Kick A Ginger Day

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    I dunno TR, obviously South Park created an allegory to the number of hate crimes you mentioned. THe fact that three kids saw Cartman's actions as those that should be followed speaks more to the kids than to the medium they saw it.
    People watching All in the Family knew Archie Bunker was not someone to be admired. I think the majority of human beings can see that Cartman is not someone to be admired.
    That's really not the point. The point is that while folks being influenced to act cannot excuse themselves by saying "Cartman made me do it," neither is it true that the media, in whatever form, has no responsibility. Or else, there is no basis for such a thing as "hate crimes" based on someone publicly expressing their opinions in whatever format they may be delivered.

    In other words, why does "entertainment" get a free pass for communicating any form of propaganda?

  16. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,206

    Re: Kick A Ginger Day

    Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    That's really not the point. The point is that while folks being influenced to act cannot excuse themselves by saying "Cartman made me do it," neither is it true that the media, in whatever form, has no responsibility. Or else, there is no basis for such a thing as "hate crimes" based on someone publicly expressing their opinions in whatever format they may be delivered.

    In other words, why does "entertainment" get a free pass for communicating any form of propaganda?
    Well hate crimes legislation doesn't give it a free pass. But hate crimes legislation only extends to the protected classes. Now this can turn into a more political discussion and be sent to the other board as to the fairness in protecting certain classes but not red headed kids.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25