Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kick A Ginger Day

Kick A Ginger Day

I'll bet that the "Ginger Kids" episode of South Park is never shown on TV again.

3 boys detained for Calif. 'Ginger Day' attacks

By ROBERT JABLON (AP) – 2 hours ago

LOS ANGELES — Three boys were booked on suspicion of bullying or kicking red-haired students at a middle school when a "Kick a Ginger Day" prank inspired by a "South Park" episode got out of hand, authorities said Monday.

A 13-year-old boy was detained last week for investigation of threatening to inflict injury by means of electronic communication — essentially, cyberbullying. Two 12-year-olds were booked for battery on school property, Los Angeles County sheriff's spokesman Steve Whitmore said.

The three suspects, whose identities were not released because of their ages, were booked Wednesday and released to their parents. They could face misdemeanor charges, but it was unclear when the case might be submitted for possible prosecution, Whitmore said.

Four girls and three boys reported that schoolmates shoved or kicked them on Nov. 20 at A.E. Wright Middle School in Calabasas, an affluent suburb of Los Angeles.

No serious injuries were reported. Most incidents involved a single person kicking a student's shoe or leg, but one youngster was bruised when three or four boys confronted him at once, said Donald Zimring, superintendent of the Las Virgenes Unified School District.

He may have been kicked in the groin or head while on the ground, although accounts differ, Zimring said.

"Any time a youngster gets hurt because of a thoughtless act ... there ought to be consequences," Zimring said.

Assemblies were held Monday at the school to discuss the incident.

Investigators said the attacks apparently were inspired by a 2005 episode of "South Park" that parodied racial prejudice by having the character Cartman incite a hate campaign against freckled, red-haired "ginger kids."

The episode apparently inspired the 13-year-old to send his friends a Facebook message declaring "Kick a Ginger Day," Zimring said.

Most students ignored or deplored the message and some sent "Protect a Ginger Day" counter-messages, but a dozen or so students apparently acted on the joke, Zimring said.

The students involved were facing discipline ranging from picking up school trash to five-day suspensions. None will be expelled, Zimring said.

"The youngsters involved understand that this was not acceptable, and they have made various forms of apology and contrition," Zimring said
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Kick A Ginger Day

Don't blame South Park for the stupidity of a few teen/preteens. They know right from wrong and South Park didn't change that.

So did the school not understand that it was in fact Kick a Ginger Day? And if so why are the kids being punished.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Don't blame South Park for the stupidity of a few teen/preteens. They know right from wrong and South Park didn't change that.
    Pretty much.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

I agree completely. I'm just sayin' I bet that episode never airs again.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

I would hardly call these "attacks". The same kind of stuff went on when I was in school, we just weren't so sensitive to it all back then.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

We have a dog named Ginger, should I ...

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I would hardly call these "attacks". The same kind of stuff went on when I was in school, we just weren't so sensitive to it all back then.
    Back then you were just trouble makers. Now days, you are brainwashed by tv.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    I'll bet that the "Ginger Kids" episode of South Park is never shown on TV again.
    Back in the day the never showed Fonzi jumping the shark after we all tried it ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Back in the day the never showed Fonzi jumping the shark after we all tried it ourselves.

Don't forget when we used to try jumping the Snake River Canyon in our rocket cycles.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    I'll bet that the "Ginger Kids" episode of South Park is never shown on TV again. .
    Why stop with one episode?

So, if the South Park character promoted "kick a gay day," that's just innocuous TV and anyone taking the suggestion to action would not be the responsibility of the show's producers?

BTW, the punishment was given to the children, showing them that they are responsible for their actions, but I'm not sure why that means that you excuse irresponsibility in the media. As I demonstrated above, folks understand perfectly the ability of a television program to promote certain behaviors and certainly would not support a program that promoted a politically incorrect action be taken.

Further, with hate crimes legislation on the horizon, a TV show could be responsible for a crime if they spoke in a politically incorrect way against some protected class, like a preacher preaching a sermon that claims homosexuality is wrong and airing it on TV, radio or internet.
    Last edited by traderumor; 12-03-2009 at 09:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    So, if the South Park character promoted "kick a gay day," that's just innocuous TV and anyone taking the suggestion to action would not be the responsibility of the show's producers?

BTW, the punishment was given to the children, showing them that they are responsible for their actions, but I'm not sure why that means that you excuse irresponsibility in the media. As I demonstrated above, folks understand perfectly the ability of a television program to promote certain behaviors and certainly would not support a program that promoted a politically incorrect action be taken.

Further, with hate crimes legislation on the horizon, a TV show could be responsible for a crime if they spoke in a politically incorrect way against some protected class, like a preacher preaching a sermon that claims homosexuality is wrong and airing it on TV, radio or internet.
    I dunno TR, obviously South Park created an allegory to the number of hate crimes you mentioned. THe fact that three kids saw Cartman's actions as those that should be followed speaks more to the kids than to the medium they saw it.
    People watching All in the Family knew Archie Bunker was not someone to be admired. I think the majority of human beings can see that Cartman is not someone to be admired.
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    I dunno TR, obviously South Park created an allegory to the number of hate crimes you mentioned. THe fact that three kids saw Cartman's actions as those that should be followed speaks more to the kids than to the medium they saw it.
    People watching All in the Family knew Archie Bunker was not someone to be admired. I think the majority of human beings can see that Cartman is not someone to be admired.
    That's really not the point. The point is that while folks being influenced to act cannot excuse themselves by saying "Cartman made me do it," neither is it true that the media, in whatever form, has no responsibility. Or else, there is no basis for such a thing as "hate crimes" based on someone publicly expressing their opinions in whatever format they may be delivered.

In other words, why does "entertainment" get a free pass for communicating any form of propaganda?

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    That's really not the point. The point is that while folks being influenced to act cannot excuse themselves by saying "Cartman made me do it," neither is it true that the media, in whatever form, has no responsibility. Or else, there is no basis for such a thing as "hate crimes" based on someone publicly expressing their opinions in whatever format they may be delivered.

In other words, why does "entertainment" get a free pass for communicating any form of propaganda?
    Well hate crimes legislation doesn't give it a free pass. But hate crimes legislation only extends to the protected classes. Now this can turn into a more political discussion and be sent to the other board as to the fairness in protecting certain classes but not red headed kids.

Turn Off Ads?