Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Red Sox Eyeing Phillips

Red Sox Eyeing Phillips

ESPN's Peter Gammons says the Red Sox might want to acquire Phillips and possibly have him play SS! Here's the link:

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/col...ter&id=4702781

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Red Sox Eyeing Phillips

if that happens, Phillips moving to SS in Boston instead of Cincy, Im throwing away my Walt and Dusty fan club membership

phillips makes alot of sense for boston, this might be a chance for us to get them to take harang as well which would give us alot of payroll flexibility. But Im only for this if we get some real talent coming back, Clay Bucholz would look good in a reds uniform.

Quote Originally Posted by dunner13 View Post
    phillips makes alot of sense for boston, this might be a chance for us to get them to take harang as well which would give us alot of payroll flexibility. But Im only for this if we get some real talent coming back, Clay Bucholz would look good in a reds uniform.
    Payroll flexibility is wasted on a team like the Reds. They still can't/won't pursue even mid-level free agents, and the farm system isn't deep enough to move prospects for any meaningful talent.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

this is from Gammons as well, sounds like they may go another route

The Red Sox asked Dustin Pedroia if he'd be able to play shortstop, according to ESPN's Peter Gammons. Pedroia's thoughts:

"They've put it out there and I've told them I'm all for it. I can do it. I can't wait for Tito [Terry Francona] to call me and ask, 'Can you do it?' I can do it. I really want to do it."

I think he also may have been alluding to the idea that Boston might want Phillips for 2nd and move Pedroia to SS.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    this is from Gammons as well, sounds like they may go another route

The Red Sox asked Dustin Pedroia if he'd be able to play shortstop, according to ESPN's Peter Gammons. Pedroia's thoughts:

"They've put it out there and I've told them I'm all for it. I can do it. I can't wait for Tito [Terry Francona] to call me and ask, 'Can you do it?' I can do it. I really want to do it."
    Pedroia, like Phillips, has experience at SS, but also like Phillips, hasn't played at SS for several years. I can see the Red Sox testing both players at SS to see who takes best to the position, knowing both can always be slotted at 2B as well.

Another possibility: They are actively pursuing someone like Scutaro, and just throwing a few red herrrings out there to get him to lower his demands.

Another possibility: They are actively pursuing someone like Scutaro, and just throwing a few red herrrings out there to get him to lower his demands.
    Likely, I think.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

I don't know. Bucholz has been passed on by seemingly a lot of teams now. I'm wondering if that's a bad sign.

Quote Originally Posted by Guacarock View Post
    Pedroia, like Phillips, has experience at SS, but also like Phillips, hasn't played at SS for several years. I can see the Red Sox testing both players at SS to see who takes best to the position, knowing both can always be slotted at 2B as well.

OTOH, once you're considering pursuing someone like Marco Scutaro to be your starting SS, why wouldn't you consider someone else who's been primarily a 2Bman but has similar or better abilities and skills and has the advantage of being younger, like Pedroia or Phillips? Who ever considered Marco Scutaro a starting SS before a year ago or so, anyway?
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

If I'm Cincinnati and Boston is serious about Phillips, I'm asking for a ton in return AND insisting they take Harang or Cordero. I'd target:

Clay Bucholz-- Future ace who is, right now, a cheap MOR starter better than Harang
    Daniel Bard-- Future closer who is, at best, a set-up guy in Boston
    Jed Lowrie-- Former phenom who struggled mightily last season, but has hit well in the past while playing SS.

All three make the Reds a better team, especially if either Frazier or Valaika or another guy can come in and play a passable 2B while hitting at league average.

Cincinnati would then have around $18 million to spend on free agents. I'd go after a run-producing LF (Holliday?) and perhaps another solid MOR starter. Or I'd then deal Francisco, Wood, Maloney, and Heisey for Halladay.

Either way, the Reds improve.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    If I'm Cincinnati and Boston is serious about Phillips, I'm asking for a ton in return AND insisting they take Harang or Cordero. I'd target:

Clay Bucholz-- Future ace who is, right now, a cheap MOR starter better than Harang
    Jed Lowrie-- Former phenom who struggled mightily last season, but has hit well in the past while playing SS.

All three make the Reds a better team, especially if either Frazier or Valaika or another guy can come in and play a passable 2B while hitting at league average.

Cincinnati would then have around $18 million to spend on free agents. I'd go after a run-producing LF (Holliday?) and perhaps another solid MOR starter. Or I'd then deal Francisco, Wood, Maloney, and Heisey for Halladay.

Well for that package the Red Sox could probably get Halladay so I doubt they would do it for Phillips and Harang/Cordero. I've read that they would like an experienced starter and Papelbon is getting closer to FA but they don't give up that much and take on money. It would make it harder for them to negotiate with Papelbon and Blister boy- (total brain freeze) whose FA hits after next year. I could see trying to sell Phillips for Lowrie and Bucholz but no way do they give up Bard.

Blister boy would be Josh Beckett, in case anyone needed a translation. The Red Sox probably aren't trading Buchholz, anyway.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post

This is the kind of opener any talk with Boston about Phillips should begin with. I'd be willing to move off Bard for a minor leaguer if they take the whole salary of Harang. If they paid Cordero I'd move off Buchholz but insist on Bard.

Salaryball catch the fever....

Turn Off Ads?