Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Movies the Critics Loved But You Hated

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Re: Movies the Critics Loved But You Hated

Old School -- Perhaps it wasn't critically acclaimed, but it's definitely in the pantheon for my generation. I don't mind the Will Farrell style comedy, but I thought it paled in comparison to Anchorman and even Step Brothers.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Old School -- Perhaps it wasn't critically acclaimed, but it's definitely in the pantheon for my generation. I don't mind the Will Farrell style comedy, but I thought it paled in comparison to Anchorman and even Step Brothers.
    Old School and Wedding Crashers are two of my all time favorite movies. To be honest you are the first person I have seen said they weren't too fond of it. And earlier in the thread was the first think bad I have seen about Wedding Crashers.

Happy Feet.
    Dancing penguins (consider that dancing is done with the legs, of which penguins are minimally endowed), with an ecological message.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Old School and Wedding Crashers are two of my all time favorite movies. To be honest you are the first person I have seen said they weren't too fond of it. And earlier in the thread was the first think bad I have seen about Wedding Crashers.

I didn't like Wedding Crashers. I didn't hate it, but I didn't like it either. I don't like Owen Wilson or Vince Vaughn really. Both seem to be one trick ponies to me.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Happy Feet.
    Dancing penguins (consider that dancing is done with the legs, of which penguins are minimally endowed), with an ecological message.
    Did the critics like it? My daughter loved it, but I don't remember it getting critical acclaim.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Can't believe nobody has said Brokeback Mountain yet. Taboos aside, it was just a terrible movie to watch IMO. Boring as you know what. I just don't get why it got so much love. Yeah it was ground breaking I know, but on its merits as a movie it wasn't good IMO. Nothing political and I gave it a chance. I just hated it.

A Little to the Left Redsfaithful's Avatar

Film is like music, part of it is where you are in your life when you see something. Something that might speak to you at 20 might seem silly at 40 and vice versa. Or your situation in life apart from age can influence how you feel about something.

I thought Lost in Translation was outstanding. Sideways I didn't enjoy, but I can see why someone would, I wondered after seeing it what I would have thought if I'd been 20 years older.

On lighter fare, I think Old School and Wedding Crashers were both hilarious, but both got dragged down pretty severely with relationship stuff in their second halves. It's the kind of fault that separates movies like Old School from The Hangover or even Superbad, movies that didn't really let up from start to finish.
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    --Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Seriously? Really? You didn't like Old School? That's unpossible. One of the funniest movies ever.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.

A Serious Man -- saw it recently, worst Coen Brothers movie ever.

And St. Elmo's Fire. I don't know if the critics liked it or not, all I know is that it was the worst movie ever made.
    Win the Division

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    Did the critics like it? My daughter loved it, but I don't remember it getting critical acclaim.
    It won an Oscar for best animated film.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Zoinks!

[QUOTE=Redsfaithful;1997570]

Sideways I didn't enjoy, but I can see why someone would, I wondered after seeing it what I would have thought if I'd been 20 years older.
    QUOTE]

As someone 20 years older...i hated it. I had been looking forward to it when I saw it too.

[QUOTE=minus5;1997608]
    Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post

Sideways I didn't enjoy, but I can see why someone would, I wondered after seeing it what I would have thought if I'd been 20 years older.
    QUOTE]

As someone 20 years older...i hated it. I had been looking forward to it when I saw it too.
    I think that expectations have to have an effect on how we rate the movie. I actually liked Sideways, but I went into it thinking I wouldn't like it very much at all. Another one like that was Death at a Funeral. Saw it with some friends and didn't expect to like it, but it's one of my all time favorite movies.

On the other hand I was really excited to see Lost in Translation, but was bored to tears by it. I watched it again when it came out on DVD, still sucked.
    Last edited by Razor Shines; 12-03-2009 at 12:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Gosford Park- I pray for each minute back spent watching this boring, awful...just...ordinary piece of garbage disguised as cinema. A great cast is still boring watch in a boring movie.

Mulholland Drive- Yeah, weird can be stylish and it's fun to tease the audience with "what the heck?" moments, but this one left me not caring.

Lost In Translation- Yawn. Waited for something to happen. When a reviewer tells you a movie is "...a testament to the power of a raised eyebrow, a gentle touch and a parting whisper," you know you're in for some nap time.

Any for you guys?
    I think you covered those, they did not click with my eyes and mind for some reason or another.

Chicago was a another movie I sought with high expectation and failed to fire for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Film is like music, part of it is where you are in your life when you see something. Something that might speak to you at 20 might seem silly at 40 and vice versa. Or your situation in life apart from age can influence how you feel about something.
    Thatís well said. That makes sense.

I often wondered what might be the difference in watching and re-watching certain films. Sometimes I get more from them after time has gone by the second time, other times I wonder what I ever saw in the movie to begin with.

ZCTRMTP!!!!!

Gran Torino. Clint Eastwood is the ultimate one-trick pony.

Turn Off Ads?