Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Movies the Critics Loved But You Hated

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Re: Movies the Critics Loved But You Hated

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Rushmore was amazing. I'm like Bill Murray's number one fan though, so there's that.
    Love Bill Murray and liked Broken Flowers. Lost in Translation- Maybe I need to give it another try but I just waited around for something to happen.

Watched The Ballad of Jack and Rose yesterday- what a collosal waste of time.

I'm over the artst fartsy movies. Done. I'd rather watch Michael Bay have free reign of a special effects turd than one second of that crap. Wow, what a downer.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    I used to be a huge fan, always anticipating the next movie only to be disappointed. Bottle Rocket is still one of my favorite movies of all time though.
    I just saw Fantastic Mr. Fox the other night, and you know, it's very pretty and fascinating to watch (the kind of thing you can watch ten times and see new interesting things every time). And it's very clever and funny and not without heart. The acting is great. And yet somehow I was BORED. The pacing felt all off. It doesn't help, probably, that it was one of my favorite books as a kid, but the moments I remember as being so amazing in the book were kind of throwaways and throwaway moments in the book were big deals in the movie. That could just be interpretation, but I just think the pacing of the movie didn't work. And it occurred to me that this is probably the same argument I have with a lot of Wes Anderson movies. He lingers on things that are pretty but have no real substance, and then once in a while there really IS a great emotional moment and most of the time that breezes by way too fast. And that's inexcusable for someone who is so good with the visuals and the aurals (my god, the music he uses is great) and gets to work with such brilliant talent. Everything is set up so well and yet it still falls flat and feels hollow.

I think what I've decided is that he's a great stylist and an incredible visual mind, but not really a strong storyteller. I think he lacks a very basic sense of the arc of a story and what will really hit people and what won't...which is fine for a certain kind of movie, but he doesn't make that kind of movie; he sticks to linear stories and straightforward storytelling. And as he progresses in his career he seems to be getting worse at this rather than better. This is probably why a lot of people have problems with "artsy" movies as well -- a lot of artsy movies don't have that straightforward story arc that people are used to.

So despite how much I really enjoyed seeing Fantastic Mr. Fox, I somehow...didn't really enjoy watching it. If that makes sense. I'm supposed to be boycotting Wes Anderson anyway because he signed that stupid Roman Polanski petition, so it won't be difficult for me to avoid his movies in the future.
    Last edited by vaticanplum; 12-06-2009 at 12:39 PM.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Memento's One Is the Lonliest Number cover is among the most poignant and beautifully haunting covers ever. Hated the movie, as a whole, but loved that song.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan1966 View Post
    WEDDING CRASHERS...arrrrrgh! EVERYONE (including critics) seemed to love this movie and it had things I like---goofy comedy, Vince Vaughn, etc. I hated it with a passion....I did not laugh once...
    Really?

Not once?

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    I loved Lost in Translation though. Nothing else has better captured the mood of life out of a suitcase in my opinion.
    I suppose your reaction to Lost in Translation really depends on your perspective, I guess. I found Lost in Translation to be rather dreary and depressing, completely opposite of my own experience living out of a suitcase. At one point I almost fell asleep during the movie. Of course a friend of mine who travels for his job loved it and had the opinion that the movie was more like his experience. Of course he's a reluctant traveler whereas I feel a rush as soon as I set foot in the airport.

One movie I couldn't get through was Before Sunrise. I was intrigued by it because it mirrored an experience I had when I lived in Europe. I think I watched 15 minutes of it, turned it off and never watched it again.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

I thought the Watchmen was one heaping pile of garbage that I want erased from my life.

Sin City was pretty god awful as well.

Pulp Fiction is high up on that list too.

Francis Ford Coppola's adaptation of Bram Stoker's Dracula was awful.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post
    I thought the Watchmen was one heaping pile of garbage that I want erased from my life.

Sin City was pretty god awful as well.

I'll agree with these 3 as well, about 8 hours of life that I'd love back, Mamma Mia! seems to be loved by critics as well and I was hoping for a tidle wave by the end of it.
    Go Gators!

Krono watched Mamma Mia! ??
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Krono watched Mamma Mia! ??
    I was forced "It's a musical, it's fun"

LIES :thumbdown
    Go Gators!

A Little to the Left Redsfaithful's Avatar

Pulp Fiction, really?

I'm not sure Sin City and Watchmen were critically acclaimed either, I seem to remember Watchmen being mixed but I could be wrong. I was disappointed with it also though. Sin City had some interesting moments but it didn't really add up to anything.
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    --Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post
    How many times have you seen Pulp? I didn't like it much the first time and now it's one of my favorite 2 or 3 movies. It took at least 2 views to soak it all in. It's amazing and absolutely hilarious. Watch it again and treat it more like a comedy and I believe you'll love it. On top of that, it's a masterpiece.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Rushmore was amazing. I'm like Bill Murray's number one fan though, so there's that.
    I really liked "Rushmore" but was pretty disappointed in all Anderson's other films, until I saw "Fantastic Mr. Fox." I liked that one quite a bit, though I totally see where vaticanplum is coming from in her analysis.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

I have no idea what people see in Rushmore.

Donnie Darko was another steaming pile.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    I have no idea what people see in Rushmore.

Donnie Darko was another steaming pile.
    What!? Absolute blasphemy!

Darko is a fantastic cult film. A bit out there, to be sure, but I'm always come away appreciating the film even more every time I watch it.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Turn Off Ads?