Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Decision on Gomes soon?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Decision on Gomes soon?

Do the Reds need to decide by the end of the day wether to offer Gomes arbitration or let him become a FA or am I wrong and they have more time to make a decision?I'd hate to let him walk for nothing.Anyone herd anything?

Re: Decision on Gomes soon?

No, today is the deadline for teams to offer arbitration to their potential free-agents. Gomes falls in a different class of players, those who aren't yet eligible for free-agency but are eligible for arbitration. Teams have until Dec. 12 to either sign those players to a new contract, agree to enter arbitration with the player or else non-tender them. So the Reds still have some time to figure out what to do with Gomes -- bring him back for the 2010 season, trade him or cut him loose.

By the way, the Reds also face the same Dec. 12 deadline for decision-making on a few other arb-eligible players. Relief pitchers Jared Burton and Nick Masset fall into the same class as Gomes. I believe Bill Bray might also be among this group. Micah Owings came close to joining the group, but fell just short of amassing enough playing time for arbitration to be an option for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Guacarock View Post
    By the way, the Reds also face the same Dec. 12 deadline for decision-making on a few other arb-eligible players. Relief pitchers Jared Burton and Nick Masset fall into the same class as Gomes. I believe Bill Bray might also be among this group. Micah Owings came close to joining the group, but fell just short of amassing enough playing time for arbitration to be an option for him.
    If the team decided to use up a 40 man spot on these guys when they said they had more guys they would have liked to protect, why would they non-tender these guys a few days after the Rule 5 draft? Should have just cut them loose earlier if they weren't going to keep them so that they could free those roster spots. I don't see the Reds non-tendering these guys now (though they may do one before the draft so that they could pick a guy), but I guess I shouldn't put anything past the GM who signed Willy T.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    If the team decided to use up a 40 man spot on these guys when they said they had more guys they would have liked to protect, why would they non-tender these guys a few days after the Rule 5 draft? Should have just cut them loose earlier if they weren't going to keep them so that they could free those roster spots. I don't see the Reds non-tendering these guys now (though they may do one before the draft so that they could pick a guy), but I guess I shouldn't put anything past the GM who signed Willy T.
    It would indicate to me that they'll offer arbitration if they don't come to an agreement prior to that. Likewise, if they had non-tendered him like Nix, he could have chosen free agency. This way they control him presently. I think I have that right.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    It would indicate to me that they'll offer arbitration if they don't come to an agreement prior to that. Likewise, if they had non-tendered him like Nix, he could have chosen free agency. This way they control him presently. I think I have that right.
    Once non-tendered, they are free agents. No need to make a choice. Before the deadline they have to be released, DFA'd or outrighted.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Edinson Volquez is another guy who fell just short of being arbitration eligible.

They kept Bray on the 40 man, and on the AAA DL instead of the 60 Day Major League DL last season, so he wouldn't accrue service time. He isn't eligible until next season.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Fay reported that Jocketty said they wanted to bring back Gomes. I can't imagine he'd say any different even if they couldn't/didn't want to bring him back, but that's FWIW.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

My opinion is that no other team is going to give Gomes the kind of money he is going to receive through arbitration and neither should the Reds. Why bid against themselves again. If he will sign for $1M to $1.5M fine, if not...bye bye bye

Quote Originally Posted by Bumstead View Post
    My opinion is that no other team is going to give Gomes the kind of money he is going to receive through arbitration and neither should the Reds. Why bid against themselves again. If he will sign for $1M to $1.5M fine, if not...bye bye bye
    I suspect he signs for someone around a $1M - he made $600K last year. I think he likes it hear and he proved valuable for us last year. I don't think we're bidding againsts ourselves.

[I just peaked at baseball-reference to see who he compares to. Luke Scott came up and on Scott's was Cody Ross - they both were signed last year for $2M+, so perhaps the Reds go up to your higher number to avoid arbitration]
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Turn Off Ads?