Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nolan Ryan may resign from Rangers (Rangers sale in doubt)

Nolan Ryan may resign from Rangers (Rangers sale in doubt)

The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: Nolan Ryan may resign from Rangers

I've had trouble understanding why Ryan is allowed to own minor league clubs affiliated with the Astros while serving as president of the Rangers. Seems like an obvious conflict of interest to me, not unlike owning a few Burger King locations while serving as the CEO of McDonalds.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    I've had trouble understanding why Ryan is allowed to own minor league clubs affiliated with the Astros while serving as president of the Rangers. Seems like an obvious conflict of interest to me, not unlike owning a few Burger King locations while serving as the CEO of McDonalds.

You do realize who the Commissioner of Baseball is?

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Exactly - those who live in a banana republic don't exactly get to throw stones.

Nowadays the Commissioner is not so much a ruler of baseball but is a representative of the owners. The players don't get a vote. He is chosen solely by the owners so it makes sense that he's one of their own

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Nowadays the Commissioner is not so much a ruler of baseball but is a representative of the owners. The players don't get a vote. He is chosen solely by the owners so it makes sense that he's one of their own

Yes but I was referring to Bud still being owner of the Brewers and serving as commissioner at the same time. If that's not a conflict of interest, I don't know what is.

Yes but I was referring to Bud still being owner of the Brewers and serving as commissioner at the same time. If that's not a conflict of interest, I don't know what is.
    Well technically his daughter owns the Brewers but I get your point. I'll admit I'm not real keen on it either but I don't find it a big problem. The other owners overwhelmingly vote him in everytime and in some cases have begged him not to retire, so if they're confident that he's not making decisions to help only the Brewers then who am I to say otherwise? The owners get who they want and they clearly want Bud, knowing full well his connections to the Milwaukee franchise

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Well technically his daughter owns the Brewers but I get your point. I'll admit I'm not real keen on it either but I don't find it a big problem. The other owners overwhelmingly vote him in everytime and in some cases have begged him not to retire, so if they're confident that he's not making decisions to help only the Brewers then who am I to say otherwise? The owners get who they want and they clearly want Bud, knowing full well his connections to the Milwaukee franchise
    It's a moot point since the Selig family doesn't own the Brewers anymore but it looked really bad. We all know that the commissioners are the servants of the owners but one wouldn't dare say David Stern or Pete Rozelle are/were tools of the owners. Would you like to see Jerry Jones as commissioner of the NFL or Jerry Buss commissioner of the NBA? People would be outraged even if they didn't lift a finger to help their teams.

Unassisted has a great point. Ryan owns minor league teams affiliated with the Astros while employed by another team. But commissioners who live in glass stadiums can't throw baseballs. Selig could tell Ryan he had to sell those teams but Ryan could tell him he owned the Brewers as commissioner. Back in the day, when Bill Veeck was trying to buy the White Sox for the first time, they wouldn't let Hank Greenburg be a part owner because he had debentures in the Indians. This one guy tried to buy the Orioles back in the 60s. Problem was he owned stock in CBS which owned the Yankees at the time. The AL was all set to approve him but Veeck and a couple others made such a fuss that the guy had to sell his CBS stock before buying the Orioles. Even if there is no hanky panky going on, it just looks bad to have even an appearance of a conflict of interest.

I had no idea the Rangers were worth this much.

http://content.usatoday.net/dist/cus...37345840.story

George W Bush did quite a job increasing the value of that team since he was an owner 20 yrs ago, huh?

I said this at the time and I still stand by it: If I was him I would have kept my life as a MLB owner sitting in my box behind the Rangers dugout eating popcorn and never should have let the GOP talk him into running for Governor. I would have said "thanks folks for the confidence but this is the life for me. I'll leave the politics to my Dad and brother."

Now he can't easily leave his ranch in Crawford and he needs a legion of secret service around him anywhere he goes.

I wonder if he regrets that decision? This Fall he'll be making the rounds promoting his book. I hope someone asks him this.

This sale of the Rangers is turning into a huge mess.

http://bizofbaseball.com/index.php?o...ials&Itemid=39

Re: Nolan Ryan may resign from Rangers (Rangers sale in doubt)

The Metroplex is booming and the Texas economy hasn't really felt the effects of the recession. I buy my milk for $2.50 a gallon. It a simple metric, but we have low gas prices too. And lots of jobs it seems. And Arlington is a really nice ballpark to catch a game in, nicer than GABP imo.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    The Metroplex is booming and the Texas economy hasn't really felt the effects of the recession. I buy my milk for $2.50 a gallon. It a simple metric, but we have low gas prices too. And lots of jobs it seems. And Arlington is a really nice ballpark to catch a game in, nicer than GABP imo.
    It's not the economy that's holding it up, it's the folks who have been waiting to stick it to Tom Hicks that are hodling it up, he's built quite a list of enemies/folks entangled in his many sports/shopping ventures.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    It's not the economy that's holding it up, it's the folks who have been waiting to stick it to Tom Hicks that are hodling it up, he's built quite a list of enemies/folks entangled in his many sports/shopping ventures.
    wasn't referring to the deal, but I can see the Rangers being worth a lot of money.

And yeah, Hicks is a tool, from all accounts.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Turn Off Ads?