28 54.90%
  • Juan Silva

23 45.10%

Thread: Prospect #17 runoff vote

Prospect #17 runoff vote

Danny Dorn or Juan Silva?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Prospect #17 runoff vote

I did not vote since Matt Maloney was not included.

silva
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

I just don't get all the love for Silva. He's a prolific strikeout artist right now and most players never fix that. I'd much rather have Dorn, Henry, and Sappelt over Silva.

AND...Fellhauer did as good as Silva at Dayton with 6 more homers and a ton less strikeouts. Low rookie pitchers are striking out Silva at a pretty fair rate. Somebody help me out here. I'm missing something!!!

Dorn, for the third time.

From sunny Florida (the heat is finally back) ,
    I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Quote Originally Posted by Red Daddy View Post
    AND...Fellhauer did as good as Silva at Dayton with 6 more homers and a ton less strikeouts. Low rookie pitchers are striking out Silva at a pretty fair rate. Somebody help me out here. I'm missing something!!!
    Age. Silva's 18. Fellhauer's 21. You're comparing a high school senior to a college junior.

Fellhauer plays CF well, by most accounts, which should give him the better spot as well. He's also a couple leagues ahead of Silva, who's only done well in the GCL and has to go through both Billings and Dayton as well as he did in the GCL in one year apiece.

Of course, Silva's tools suggest he's going to develop more power as he fills out, so his OPS should go higher.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Of course, Silva's tools suggest he's going to develop more power as he fills out, so his OPS should go higher.
    Not exactly.... his OPS was high in 2009 because his BABIP was .402. Odds are pretty good he won't post an .829 OPS again unless he cuts down the K's or picks up plenty more power.

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    Age. Silva's 18. Fellhauer's 21. You're comparing a high school senior to a college junior.
    Not really, if they were both playing in the GCL, that would be true. Fellhauer is playing where he should for his age, at Dayton. In fact, most drafted players his age stay in high rookie ball. I just think Fellhauer did better in his level than Silva did at his.

Not really, if they were both playing in the GCL, that would be true. Fellhauer is playing where he should for his age, at Dayton. In fact, most drafted players his age stay in high rookie ball. I just think Fellhauer did better in his level than Silva did at his.
    Well, even if you add the two levels it would take to catch him up, Silva's still a year more advanced. But the point is that the kid played extremely well--impressively well--for an 18-year-old in professional ball.

A little thing called ceiling. Fellhauer is probably a future 4th OF at best and Silva still has the chance to be a solid starting major leaguer. To put it a different way Silva has the edge in talent (and therefore upside) and he just has to improve his skill level a bit and stay healthy to close the door on that argument alltogether.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    I did not vote since Matt Maloney was not included.
    Me neither! :

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    A little thing called ceiling. Fellhauer is probably a future 4th OF at best and Silva still has the chance to be a solid starting major leaguer. To put it a different way Silva has the edge in talent (and therefore upside) and he just has to improve his skill level a bit and stay healthy to close the door on that argument alltogether.
    I think its a bit early to say Fellhauer is a future 4th outfielder. Talked to a scout about him this season in Dayton. Saw him having the potential to be a 15 HR guy in center field. With his plate approach, if he can stay in CF he has starting potential. I do agree that Silva has the higher upside, but Fellhauer has the much higher floor as well.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I think its a bit early to say Fellhauer is a future 4th outfielder. Talked to a scout about him this season in Dayton. Saw him having the potential to be a 15 HR guy in center field. With his plate approach, if he can stay in CF he has starting potential. I do agree that Silva has the higher upside, but Fellhauer has the much higher floor as well.
    I'd like to hear his rational for saying that he can stick in CF full time with a lack of ideal range for the position (yet Silva despite what he hits apparently isn't likely to stick in CF due to the very same thing). I suppose if he could hit 15 HR's which is debatable but not out of the question, play a steady CF defensively and do everything else solidly I could see him starting but I think that's his ultimate ceiling and how often do guys reach their ultimate ceiling? OTOH I think we could be eventually surprised by Silva, I think it's possible he could be better (think power numbers) than is expected to at this point.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?