Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Blu-Ray/Netflix question

Blu-Ray/Netflix question

Thinking about treating my wife (well. me anyway) to a Blu-Ray player for Christmas. I want one that streams Netflix. I have Verizon DSL and my speed is pretty consistant at just under 3.0 mb. Does anyone have this? I was wondering if this speed is sufficient to stream Netflix without any problems.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: Blu-Ray/Netflix question

I have streaming Netflix and two devices to watch it with on the TV. I have 6.0mb DSL, which usually delivers around 5.0mb of bandwidth. A 3.0 mb connection should be plenty fast enough to make it work.
    /r/reds

I'm toolsy.

Buy a PS3. You get the BluRay, the netflix and a great game console.

Quote Originally Posted by FutureRedsGM View Post
    Seconded. Not only that, but the PS3 has the best BluRay player I've used. Netflix will send you a free disc to access Netflix on the PS3, and it is really simple.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    Seconded. Not only that, but the PS3 has the best BluRay player I've used. Netflix will send you a free disc to access Netflix on the PS3, and it is really simple.
    We just built a home theater, and I was really interested in running the Netflix through the PS3- anyone watched blu-rays this way?

We watch "On Demand" HD movies and the qualiy is not up to par- are Netflix Blu-Ray ones as good or close to what you would get if you buy a blu-ray? I"m tired of spending $20 a pop to watch a flick.

Quote Originally Posted by FutureRedsGM View Post
    I'm considering that, too. I only have one HD TV though, and I don't want my kids tying it up with gaming.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

I stream movies from netflix thru the Blu Ray. The picture quality for the most part is good but it is hardly HD quality. The best thing about the whole setup is being able to watch hundreds of movies and a large amount of TV sitcoms instantly.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    We just built a home theater, and I was really interested in running the Netflix through the PS3- anyone watched blu-rays this way?

We watch "On Demand" HD movies and the qualiy is not up to par- are Netflix Blu-Ray ones as good or close to what you would get if you buy a blu-ray? I"m tired of spending $20 a pop to watch a flick.
    The "HD" quality of Netflix On-Demand is not up to BluRay standards, but it is definitely better than SD quality and you have a large group of choices. It is the single most enjoyable aspect of Netflix for us. We still get one disc at a time in the mail but use the on demand service way more. The PQ is way better than when it started and is improving all the time. I've also found that the connection is more stable than it was on my 360.

Turn Off Ads?