Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: BCS Bowl Selection Sunday

Re: BCS Bowl Selection Sunday

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    Uh huh. You discussing maturity with anyone is laughable.

You can go back to trolling now.
    Sorry not everyone on this board is a UC/Big East cheerleader.

Paint and I had a nice little discussion. Sorry you're not capable of that.

I think Florida is 2 touchdowns better than UC.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    The rest of the ACC teams agreed to it as a farewell gift to Bobby Bowden.
    lulz. . . except Miami.

Also, Boise/TCU is a good matchup. What would be better? Boise or TCU vs GT or Iowa? I think both teams are better than the Orange Bowl matchup.

Quote Originally Posted by DTCromer View Post
    lulz. . . except Miami.

Also, Boise/TCU is a good matchup. What would be better? Boise or TCU vs GT or Iowa? I think both teams are better than the Orange Bowl matchup.
    TCU/Boise is a good matchup, but they played last year in the Holiday Bowl. I'm not going to go out of my way to watch that one or the Orange Bowl. Iowa is the weakest of all the BCS teams and they get the winner of the ACC Wheel of Destiny that lost to Georgia.

They'll be good football games, but they'll get lost amongst the other BCS matchups.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by DTCromer View Post
    The matchup between the two teams in a vacuum isn't the issue. The fact of the matter is that winning that game is about akin to winning the NIT. It will only settle one debate in the minds of the "talking heads": who the best team in the non-bcs conferences is. Neither of these teams gain anything from this game at all, aside from the increase in money and potential increase in exposure. Until these teams are given a "real chance" there will never be an opportunity to see a TCU or Boise St. in the national championship, regardless of who is on their team. They could have 22 Tim Tebows and would still finish 6th or 4th and not make the national championship.

And, let's not forget that the BCS will gladly pimp this matchup as a "battle of the unbeatens" and so on, regardless of how poorly thought out the bowl selections were this year. Simply switching Florida and Boise would have fixed this in a heartbeat.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

Florida and UC should be a fun game. I hope UC wins so it will shut up SEC fans a little.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Florida and UC should be a fun game. I hope UC wins so it will shut up SEC fans a little.
    If Florida wins, it's because UC sucked all along. If UC wins, it's because Florida didn't play well and was distracted, or something.

The media will spin this in such a way that UC has no way of winning the perception battle no matter the outcome on the field. And of course, all non-Florida SEC fans will take credit as if they accomplished it themselves. I never understood that attitude.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

If Florida wins, it's because UC sucked all along. If UC wins, it's because Florida didn't play well and was distracted, or something.

The media will spin this in such a way that UC has no way of winning the perception battle no matter the outcome on the field. And of course, all non-Florida SEC fans will take credit as if they accomplished it themselves. I never understood that attitude.
    I can explain why I feel conference pride... when you play in the grinder that is the SEC East, season after season, it's hard NOT to begin to develop those feelings. That's just me, speaking for myself. I certainly won't feel anywhere near the elation that I would experience were it MY team winning the game, however.

The rest of the ACC teams agreed to it as a farewell gift to Bobby Bowden.
    That's ridiculous, I wonder how much it was the ACC giving the finger to the Gator bowl since they have decided to ditch the ACC for their next bowl tie in.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    I can explain why I feel conference pride... when you play in the grinder that is the SEC East, season after season, it's hard NOT to begin to develop those feelings. That's just me, speaking for myself. I certainly won't feel anywhere near the elation that I would experience were it MY team winning the game, however.
    Yup. I spend 8 weeks a year watching the SEC kick my favorite team's butt. So it gives me a bit of pleasure when the SEC breaks it off in an out of conference game against a "good" team.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Yup. I spend 8 weeks a year watching the SEC kick my favorite team's butt. So it gives me a bit of pleasure when the SEC breaks it off in an out of conference game against a "good" team.
    Perfectly stated. It's nothing malicious, so don't take it personal, UC fans or whomever else. I enjoy rooting for my conference.

Only, it's not the SEC. It's Florida and Alabama; or before Nick Saban, Florida and LSU. I've also never understood how people get some kind of fulfillment from the this. The reason UK and Vandy get kicked around week in and week out is because they're just not very good football programs. UK would get kicked around in most major conferences out there with the ocassional season where they win some games (like they did in the SEC a few years ago). Of course, I'm sure their fans believe it's only because the SEC is so tough, but it would be the same in the Pac-10, Big-10, Big-12, and maybe even the Big East. Heck, they'd be lucky to be 5th best in the Mountain West. Every conference has the teams they beat up on.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I'm a UK fan and an SEC fan of sorts, but I would never root for Florida, Georgia, or any Steve Spurrier coached team under any circumstances.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Only, it's not the SEC. It's Florida and Alabama; or before Nick Saban, Florida and LSU.
    Really? Really? You better check the SEC's out of conference and bowl record the last few years. Heck, even doormat Vandy got a bowl win last year over the ACC runner up last year. And doormat Kentucky is working on a 3 season bowl winning streak.

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    I'm a UK fan and an SEC fan of sorts, but I would never root for Florida, Georgia, or any Steve Spurrier coached team under any circumstances.
    Tennessee is my bugaboo. Spurrier and Petrino are close. I respect Richt a lot, as a man, so it is hard for me to root against them.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    The entire point of allowing those teams play in the BCS is to see how they match up against the top programs. THAT is what people want to see. Then playing against each other is a slap in the face, IMO. It will prove nothing.
    Exactly Mike.

So what do they do? Pair these two teams up against each other. Didn't they play each other in a bowl game last year?

Will it be a good game? Sure. But it's still a smack in the face to these smaller schools IMO.

Cincy gets that opportunity by being paired up with Florida. And while I'll be rootin for, and hoping, the Bearctas beat them, I just don't see it happening. But.....

GO BEARCATS!!!
    Last edited by GAC; 12-07-2009 at 05:36 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Turn Off Ads?