Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
Results 136 to 140 of 140

Thread: BCS Bowl Selection Sunday

  1. #136
    Member 15fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    5,504

    Re: BCS Bowl Selection Sunday

    I value education as much as anyone. Have the degrees to prove it. I also have almost 15 years on the administrative side of higher education, so I'm more than a little familiar with the nature of the proverbial beast.

    You know what 2 of my all-time favorite memories are?

    1: When the Reds won the World Series in 1990, my dad, the ultimate stick in the mud, pulled me out of high school so that we could drive down from Columbus to Cincinnati for the Fountain Square celebration. I can count on one hand the number of fun things that my old man and I did the first 2 decades of my life. That was one of them.

    2: In college, I strolled in late to a seminar one spring afternoon, because I was waiting for a FedEx delivery. The delivery was an envelope of tickets so that some buddies and I could go watch our school play that night in the Sweet Sixteen. A friend who was in on the road trip gave the prof a heads-up that I'd be late. When I walked in, the prof stopped the seminar and applauded my enthusiasm. He literally clapped for me.

    Some times the fun things in life don't neatly fall into the calendar and happen when it's most convenient. When they do, it's ok to occasionally say to heck with everything and live for the moment. This is clearly one of those moments in the state of Alabama. No one's education or quality of life is going to be irreparably ruined by shuffling around a couple of days of classes.

    Carpe Diem.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #137
    Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    2,171

    Re: BCS Bowl Selection Sunday

    Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    I value education as much as anyone. Have the degrees to prove it. I also have almost 15 years on the administrative side of higher education, so I'm more than a little familiar with the nature of the proverbial beast.

    You know what 2 of my all-time favorite memories are?

    1: When the Reds won the World Series in 1990, my dad, the ultimate stick in the mud, pulled me out of high school so that we could drive down from Columbus to Cincinnati for the Fountain Square celebration. I can count on one hand the number of fun things that my old man and I did the first 2 decades of my life. That was one of them.

    2: In college, I strolled in late to a seminar one spring afternoon, because I was waiting for a FedEx delivery. The delivery was an envelope of tickets so that some buddies and I could go watch our school play that night in the Sweet Sixteen. A friend who was in on the road trip gave the prof a heads-up that I'd be late. When I walked in, the prof stopped the seminar and applauded my enthusiasm. He literally clapped for me.

    Some times the fun things in life don't neatly fall into the calendar and happen when it's most convenient. When they do, it's ok to occasionally say to heck with everything and live for the moment. This is clearly one of those moments in the state of Alabama. No one's education or quality of life is going to be irreparably ruined by shuffling around a couple of days of classes.

    Carpe Diem.
    Did your father have the ENTIRE high school shut down so you could go to the celebration? Did your college stop ALL classes for your delivery?

    See the difference? I'm all for playing skipping a day of school every now and again to experience a rare sports moment. My problem is forcing all students/faculty to change their school schedule for it. Believe it or not, there are people out there that don't enjoy sports.

  4. #138
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,325

    Re: BCS Bowl Selection Sunday

    Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    I value education as much as anyone. Have the degrees to prove it. I also have almost 15 years on the administrative side of higher education, so I'm more than a little familiar with the nature of the proverbial beast.

    You know what 2 of my all-time favorite memories are?

    1: When the Reds won the World Series in 1990, my dad, the ultimate stick in the mud, pulled me out of high school so that we could drive down from Columbus to Cincinnati for the Fountain Square celebration. I can count on one hand the number of fun things that my old man and I did the first 2 decades of my life. That was one of them.

    2: In college, I strolled in late to a seminar one spring afternoon, because I was waiting for a FedEx delivery. The delivery was an envelope of tickets so that some buddies and I could go watch our school play that night in the Sweet Sixteen. A friend who was in on the road trip gave the prof a heads-up that I'd be late. When I walked in, the prof stopped the seminar and applauded my enthusiasm. He literally clapped for me.

    Some times the fun things in life don't neatly fall into the calendar and happen when it's most convenient. When they do, it's ok to occasionally say to heck with everything and live for the moment. This is clearly one of those moments in the state of Alabama. No one's education or quality of life is going to be irreparably ruined by shuffling around a couple of days of classes.

    Carpe Diem.

    Haha, your professor clapped for being late? I can see why class and professionalism is going down the crapper in this country.

  5. #139
    Member 15fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    5,504

    Re: BCS Bowl Selection Sunday

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    My problem is forcing all students/faculty to change their school schedule for it. Believe it or not, there are people out there that don't enjoy sports.
    My guess is that if you polled everyone metro-Tuscaloosa , you would find that an overwhelming majority of them are rabid about Crimson Tide football. Not just interested. Not casual fans. Foaming at the mouth rabid. Think roided up Red Sox fans on Red Bull benders cicra late October 2004.

    They fill their ~ 100,000 seat stadium for the spring game. Though it's smack in the middle of the Bible Belt, if Jesus ran against Bear Bryant for political office in Alabama, Jesus would need a concession speech and he'd give it early on election night. I've met a bunch of people with ties to Alabama in the 15 years I've lived here. You know how many of them think the world revolves around something other than fall Saturdays at Bryant-Denney Stadium? Zero. Gameday in Tuscaloosa is the absolute center of the entire space-time continuum.

    If someone in Tuscaloosa did complain about the change in schedule for the national title game, you know what the response would likely be to that person?

    Transfer to Auburn.

  6. #140
    Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    2,171

    Re: BCS Bowl Selection Sunday

    Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    My guess is that if you polled everyone metro-Tuscaloosa , you would find that an overwhelming majority of them are rabid about Crimson Tide football. Not just interested. Not casual fans. Foaming at the mouth rabid. Think roided up Red Sox fans on Red Bull benders cicra late October 2004.

    They fill their ~ 100,000 seat stadium for the spring game. Though it's smack in the middle of the Bible Belt, if Jesus ran against Bear Bryant for political office in Alabama, Jesus would need a concession speech and he'd give it early on election night. I've met a bunch of people with ties to Alabama in the 15 years I've lived here. You know how many of them think the world revolves around something other than fall Saturdays at Bryant-Denney Stadium? Zero. Gameday in Tuscaloosa is the absolute center of the entire space-time continuum.

    If someone in Tuscaloosa did complain about the change in schedule for the national title game, you know what the response would likely be to that person?

    Transfer to Auburn.
    Which tells me all I need to know about an UofAla college education.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25