Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: BCS Bowl Selection Sunday

Blowing away bad memories Redsfan320's Avatar

Re: BCS Bowl Selection Sunday

As a UC fan, I am terrified. I've seen what Florida can do, and I'm a huge Tebow fan,and I truly fear for Cincy. BTW, I'll be rooting for UC of course

From sunny Florida ,
    I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

2. Turn Off Ads?

Conference pride is for the weak-minded. SEC fans started it and Big 10 fans are starting to get just as bad. Can any of you Bengals fans ever root for the Steelers or Ravens to win? If you ever root for your most hated rival just because they were in your conference, then you don't really have a rival.

I understand rooting for other teams in the conference to do well because that improves the image of your own team. Every fanbase does that. What I don't understand is the adopted ownership of every team in the conference.

If you're a Georgia fan and Florida beats Ohio State, it wasn't your team that beat Ohio State so stop claiming victory like it was. That's what I don't get.

*steps off soapbox*
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    I understand rooting for other teams in the conference to do well because that improves the image of your own team. Every fanbase does that. What I don't understand is the adopted ownership of every team in the conference.

If you're a Georgia fan and Florida beats Ohio State, it wasn't your team that beat Ohio State so stop claiming victory like it was. That's what I don't get.

*steps off soapbox*
    I still think the SEC still has that "southern pride" thing going on dating back to the Civil War. And yes, I'm serious. There's more unity for the schools down south. Alabama and Tennessee hate each other, but they'll be rooting for each other during bowl season. I don't get it.

That would be like me rooting for the Cubs to win the world series. I'd light myself on fire than root for the Cubs even against the yankees or Red Sox. 29 World Series titles for the yankees couldn't undo the pain and agony of seeing the Cubs win #2.

I have very mixed emotions when rooting for other Big 10 teams in bowl games.

Eventually I do, but its with clenched fist and skunk eye. And if they lose, I think "well, they stink anyhow". If they win, I think "well, I guess that's OK, but they still stink".

I feel a little bad for TCU and Boise St., but I don't know how else it should have played out. Alabama definitely deserved to be in the NC game, but after that, it's a crap shoot between Texas, UC, and TCU. All have very legit claims. Boise St. not as much.

BCS sucks.

Pay attention to the open sky

FWIW if there was no BCS then Texas is playing in the Fiesta Bowl and Alabama is playing in the Sugar Bowl. The BCS is in place to get the #1 and #2 ranked teams to play each other nothing else. Im not defending the system, but it does do its job. Unless there is a playoff there will continue to be complaining about matchups like TCS and BSU.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    If Cincy get stuck with GT that will be a massive slap in the face.
    GT is a pretty good football team.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    That's ridiculous, I wonder how much it was the ACC giving the finger to the Gator bowl since they have decided to ditch the ACC for their next bowl tie in.
    There isn't going to be much love lost on either side of the Jacksonville-ACC relationship when the ways are parted.

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post

There isn't going to be much love lost on either side of the Jacksonville-ACC relationship when the ways are parted.
    What's really hurting the ACC is FSU and Miami being down. Miami' starting to revive itself and FSU will continue to be average or 8-4 under Jimbo. He's not the answer there. If both programs were still as good as they thought when Miami entered the conference, Jacksonville wouldn't be giving up on the ACC. Clemson has a pretty good program. Virginia Tech will ALWAYS be a good program under Beamer. North Carolina has revived itself under Butch Davis. Georgia Tech is VERY good under Paul Johnson. There's a lot of potential in the ACC. They're closer to being one of the Top 2 conferences behind the SEC than one would think. They're still a few years from that, but it's possible.

As for GT, if they weren't playing their 3rd game in like 11 days vs Miami, they could possibly be undefeated with a different mindset going into the UGA game. GT really is underrated even being 11-2. I'd rather UC face Florida than GT. If UC beats Florida, they'll have an even bigger stake or claim to the NC than Boise or TCU.
    Last edited by DTCromer; 12-07-2009 at 09:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    FWIW if there was no BCS then Texas is playing in the Fiesta Bowl and Alabama is playing in the Sugar Bowl. The BCS is in place to get the #1 and #2 ranked teams to play each other nothing else. Im not defending the system, but it does do its job. Unless there is a playoff there will continue to be complaining about matchups like TCS and BSU.

I beg to differ. Alabama is #1, but who is #2 is very much up in the air.

Pay attention to the open sky

Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Texas would've been in the Cotton Bowl under the old system.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan320 View Post
    As a UC fan, I am terrified. I've seen what Florida can do, and I'm a huge Tebow fan,and I truly fear for Cincy. BTW, I'll be rooting for UC of course

From sunny Florida ,
    I think there's a good chance that Florida has a hard time getting up for the game, based on their disappointment over not playing for the title.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Tennessee is my bugaboo. Spurrier and Petrino are close. I respect Richt a lot, as a man, so it is hard for me to root against them.
    Yep, I forgot about Petrino over at Arkansas. I have nothing against South Carolina or Arkansas as programs, but will be against them until they change coaches.

My problem with Georgia is a silly one, based on some obnoxious Georgia fans I encountered at Commonwealth Stadium a few years ago. Withough realizing what we were doing, we bought scalper tickets right in the middle of the Georgia section, and even though we didn't even give any hint that we were even UK fans (no cheering, no UK stuff on, just observing the game), we were given quite a hard time by some of their fans.

I realize that they in no way represented the entire fan base, but every time I see Georgia football, I remember those people and hope their team loses and they're somewhere weeping over it.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post

Cincy deserved to be playing against a better team than GT. GT might be good but Cincy is a top 3 team and how many top 3 have ended up playing the worst of all BCS bowl teams? College football deserves Florida v. UC. Im happy with it.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    If Florida wins, it's because UC sucked all along. If UC wins, it's because Florida didn't play well and was distracted, or something.

The media will spin this in such a way that UC has no way of winning the perception battle no matter the outcome on the field. And of course, all non-Florida SEC fans will take credit as if they accomplished it themselves. I never understood that attitude.
    I see where you are coming from on this, it's kind of hard not too see it that way unless you're a UC/Big East/non traditional powerhouse school Fan. I do believe it applies at times, probably most often. However I really believe that it's worse for the big school in that there really is nothing to win but being able to say you held serve. Florida probably should beat UC no matter what in most peoples mind. So if UC wins people will spin it, but it matters not it just means UC was better than people gave them credit for being and should win some favorable perception points as a result outside their own fan base. At least that is the way I feel, I can't imagine I'm alone in my thinking. I truly expect the Gators to win and convincingly (10-24 pts), if they play their worst I still expect them to edge UC (between 3-10 pts), if they play their best and UC doesn't well it could get downright ugly (better than 24 pts). So if UC wins they are better than I thought they were, that's gotta be good for something.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Cincy deserved to be playing against a better team than GT. GT might be good but Cincy is a top 3 team and how many top 3 have ended up playing the worst of all BCS bowl teams? College football deserves Florida v. UC. Im happy with it.
    You could also argue that Cincy is as low as the 6th best team, behind not only Alabama & Texas, but also 1 loss Florida and the Boise/TCU undefeateds.

Regardless, I think Cincinnati-Florida is the most likely BCS game to be a one-sided affair.

Turn Off Ads?