Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Movies you liked more than the critics

Re: Movies you liked more than the critics

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    The Patriot had its shortcomings as far as historical accuracy, but I have watched it a bunch of times. Good movie.
    Same here. I loved it. If one is looking for "complete" historical accuracy, then don't look to Hollywood (for the most part). Braveheart was an excellent movie. But historically accurate? I doubt it.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Same here. I loved it. If one is looking for "complete" historical accuracy, then don't look to Hollywood (for the most part). Braveheart was an excellent movie. But historically accurate? I doubt it.
    I agree. I also loved Braveheart, especially the "Sons of Scotland" scene, but it was hardly an accurate historical documentary. I loved it anyway. "Freedom!!!"
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    It was a fictional story within a historical event. Sort of like Gone with the Wind or Titanic.

Sure there was a historic figure or two and their role might have been stretched to fit it into the story, but I don't think the movie was in any way trying to pass off as some sort of documentary.
    There's a difference. GWTW and Titanic aren't altering history.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    There's a difference. GWTW and Titanic aren't altering history.
    Sherman still wins and the boat still sinks.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Another one is the Pixar movie Cars. I loved it and still enjoy watching it with my son. That's one I never understood the dislike for.
    75% of critics liked Cars, which I guess is low for a Pixar movie, but still pretty good. Like you, I thought it was great.

I thought the Robin Williams movie "What Dreams May Come" was excellent, and it received lukewarm reviews.

Generally, if a movie is ambitious and does things that you can't do on a stage or in another medium, I'm going to give it the benefit of the doubt. I'm drawn to a lot of things that critics call "gimmicky."
    Stick to your guns.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    75% of critics liked Cars, which I guess is low for a Pixar movie, but still pretty good. Like you, I thought it was great.
    Hmmm, didn't realize that. All I ever heard was how this was one of PIxar's weakest films and critics didn't like it. Guess I was wrong.

BTW, I hear they're making a second one to be released in the next couple of years.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Hmmm, didn't realize that. All I ever heard was how this was one of PIxar's weakest films and critics didn't like it. Guess I was wrong.

BTW, I hear they're making a second one to be released in the next couple of years.
    The scary thing is that it wouldn't surprise me if it was indeed Pixar's worst-reviewed film. What an imaginative group of people.
    Stick to your guns.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Cars was recevied okay, but the box office was lower than what Pixar expected. However, it has been a huge success from a money standpoint when you consider how many toys and Cars logo merchandise have been sold, and continue to be sold. The sequel is due for a 2011 release. (Next year Toy Story 3 comes out.)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post

When one of those movies loses me is when a(n) historical figure does something he never did. Like when FDR stood up from his wheelchair on his own in Pearl Harbor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    When one of those movies loses me is when a(n) historical figure does something he never did. Like when FDR stood up from his wheelchair on his own in Pearl Harbor.
    "Pearl Harbor" is basically a comedy minus the laughs, it's so bad.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Turn Off Ads?