Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leake to Start At AA & Other Discoveries

Leake to Start At AA & Other Discoveries

As per RedsFest.

Good news, IMO. Leake's advanced feel for pitching (and good stuff) will be challenged, but not to the point of impossibility.

At this point, you've got to think he's fourth in line for a starter spot behind Maloney, Lehr, and Wood.

Also:

• Boxberger to likely close in A Ball

• Frazier to play in AAA, but no position has been chosen for him yet. Jocketty said it depended on how Francisco (another man without a position) plays in LF

• Speaking of Francisco, he's going to be tried first, it looks like, in LF.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Leake to Start At AA & Other Discoveries

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    As per RedsFest.

Good news, IMO. Leake's advanced feel for pitching (and good stuff) will be challenged, but not to the point of impossibility.

At this point, you've got to think he's fourth in line for a starter spot behind Maloney, Lehr, and Wood.

Also:

• Boxberger to likely close in A Ball

• Frazier to play in AAA, but no position has been chosen for him yet. Jocketty said it depended on how Francisco (another man without a position) plays in LF

• Speaking of Francisco, he's going to be tried first, it looks like, in LF.
    This all makes sense. If they follow through, they will have done the right thing IMO.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Funny on Frazier, who was listed as the left fielder just last week by Reynolds.

Where did you hear about Boxberger and closing? After the AFL Reds personnel was quoted as saying he would likely be on the Zach Stewart plan (begin the year starting and see where it goes).

I like the decision to start Leake in Double-A. He could be in Cincy by the end of next season if he pitches well.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Funny on Frazier, who was listed as the left fielder just last week by Reynolds.

Where did you hear about Boxberger and closing? After the AFL Reds personnel was quoted as saying he would likely be on the Zach Stewart plan (begin the year starting and see where it goes).
    Maybe that means Francisco is expected to make the MLB roster??

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    Maybe that means Francisco is expected to make the MLB roster??
    Francisco was talked about as starting at 3B in AAA.....

Why wouldn't Frazier be competing with Heisey for the LF job in Cincy?

Bum

Quote Originally Posted by Bumstead View Post
    Why wouldn't Frazier be competing with Heisey for the LF job in Cincy?

Bum
    The Reds don't want him to be doing that yet, apparently....

I'm assuming they view him as not quite ready. Reynolds hinted as much at Redszone, when he talked about how some guys would benefit from half a year or more in AAA and their relative youth, then mentioned Frazier in particular. Francisco wasn't mentioned at that time, IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Francisco was talked about as starting at 3B in AAA.....
    Reynolds: "My anticipation is that he'd probably start in left field next year in Triple-A. But things change on a dime, so I'm not sure that will happen, but that'd be my guess."

How true!

From Mark Sheldon:

There will be guys in camp like outfielder Chris Heisey and pitcher Travis Wood to compete for jobs. First round and pitcher Mike Leake is a possiblity to be invited to camp as a non-roster player.

http://marksheldon.mlblogs.com/

* As for the young players, Jocketty said Chris Heisey will get a chance to make the big league squad.

"I think we'll have an open mind about him having an opportunity to play and see if he can play," Jocketty said.

He also put pitching prospects Travis Wood, Enerio Del Rosario and Logan Ondrusek in a group that could contribute in 2010.

* Jocketty said he expected first-round pick Mike Leake to get an invitation to big league camp.

"It's one of the things we'll do this week, make our list," Jocketty said. "Leake will probably be in camp."

* One position the Reds are looking to fill is a utility infielder that can play shortstop.

"Right now I don't think we have that guy available at AAA right now unless it's one of the younger guys," Jocketty said. "It's one of the areas we'll try to improve is our bench with a veteran utility guy that can play short."

* How about top prospect Todd Frazier?

Jocketty said the one place he hasn't seen Frazier play is shortstop. And the Reds seem to like him at second base.

"We had some guys ahead of him, (Chris) Valaika, (Zach) Cozart. The guy who beat Todd out was the (Team) USA shortstop -- I think Cozart is the guy down the road," said scouting director Chris Buckley. "Todd is pretty good wherever you put him, I think people have misconstrued that a little bit. He's was good in left, pretty good at third. Todd's pretty good"

Buckley said he also liked the power potential of the team's top prospects, Yonder Alonso, Juan Francisco and Frazier.

http://cnati.com/cincinnati-reds/mlb...s-day-1-00845/

I kinda find it hard to believe that Valaika cant out produce Janish.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    I kinda find it hard to believe that Valaika cant out produce Janish.
    Janish is probably 20 runs better defensively than Valaika at SS right now. Over 600 PA if Janish repeated his 2009 line, Valaika would have to hit for an OPS about 115 points higher. Possible? Yes. Certainty? Not after his 2009 in AAA. Given that this team is going defense first, Valaika most likely will get no legit shot at SS as a starter.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    * As for the young players, Jocketty said Chris Heisey will get a chance to make the big league squad.

"I think we'll have an open mind about him having an opportunity to play and see if he can play," Jocketty said.

He also put pitching prospects Travis Wood, Enerio Del Rosario and Logan Ondrusek in a group that could contribute in 2010.

* Jocketty said he expected first-round pick Mike Leake to get an invitation to big league camp.

"It's one of the things we'll do this week, make our list," Jocketty said. "Leake will probably be in camp."

* One position the Reds are looking to fill is a utility infielder that can play shortstop.
    "Right now I don't think we have that guy available at AAA right now unless it's one of the younger guys," Jocketty said. "It's one of the areas we'll try to improve is our bench with a veteran utility guy that can play short."

* How about top prospect Todd Frazier?

Jocketty said the one place he hasn't seen Frazier play is shortstop. And the Reds seem to like him at second base.

"We had some guys ahead of him, (Chris) Valaika, (Zach) Cozart. The guy who beat Todd out was the (Team) USA shortstop -- I think Cozart is the guy down the road," said scouting director Chris Buckley. "Todd is pretty good wherever you put him, I think people have misconstrued that a little bit. He's was good in left, pretty good at third. Todd's pretty good"

Buckley said he also liked the power potential of the team's top prospects, Yonder Alonso, Juan Francisco and Frazier.

http://cnati.com/cincinnati-reds/mlb...s-day-1-00845/
    I think the team should be looking to acquire a young SS who could challenge Janish with the loser filling this role. Jamey Carroll certainly isn't any more capable at SS than Rosales or Valiaka. He's probably better than Sutton or Frazier there. Its why I like the idea of Brignac so much. If he doesn't wind up as the SS of the future, his Lefty bat fits well with Phillips and Rolen who both have some pretty big lefty-righty splits and should get their rest when a righty is on the mound. Cozart, who would be the SS of the future if Brignac or whoever acquired doesn't win it, also has some decent lefty-righty splits in the minors.

2009 Splits:

Cozart in the minors .316/.426/.436/.862 against LHP with only .243/.336/.384/.720 against RHP.

Rolen .374/.459/.591/1.051 vs LHP but only .283/.338/.411/.749 vs RHP.

Phillips .301/.342/.541/.883 vs LHP but only .267/.324/.416/.740 vs RHP.

This team is going to struggle against RHP. A lefty bat who could challenge at SS and play the utility role otherwise is this team's top need IMO. Since most pitchers are RH, it seems like lefty bats should be a higher priority than the often stated need for RH power. Add Gomes, Heisey and even Stubbs and this team has all the RH pop it needs agianst lefty pitching. Its really only Votto and Bruce against RH. Adam Dunn and Ken Griffey Jr are long gone. Its also the reason Danny Dorn should get more love.
    Last edited by mth123; 12-08-2009 at 06:10 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Turn Off Ads?