Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leake to Start At AA & Other Discoveries

Re: Leake to Start At AA & Other Discoveries

Sorry mth, I'm one of those who doesn't get all the dorn love.

I sure think he has value, just not nearly as much as most folks here seem to have.

I just have a hard time showing the love to a guy who by all accounts is pigeon holed into a platoon role. That has value, but nothing that can't be found readily available for the min or close to it from outside the organization, and truth be told I think the reds should be striving for better.

All that said, I'm rooting for Dorn. I just don't understand the hubub about a guy that screams limited and common value. You can find players with good splits anywhere if you look.

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I don't see a ton of value in platoon players. Its a last resort, and so should be dorn unless he can prove otherwise.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco View Post
    Sorry mth, I'm one of those who doesn't get all the dorn love.

I sure think he has value, just not nearly as much as most folks here seem to have.

I just have a hard time showing the love to a guy who by all accounts is pigeon holed into a platoon role. That has value, but nothing that can't be found readily available for the min or close to it from outside the organization, and truth be told I think the reds should be striving for better.

All that said, I'm rooting for Dorn. I just don't understand the hubub about a guy that screams limited and common value. You can find players with good splits anywhere if you look.

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I don't see a ton of value in platoon players. Its a last resort, and so should be dorn unless he can prove otherwise.
    I understand that platoon guys aren't stars, but the Reds are trying to build a team to win games. Even though its two top guys, Bruce and Votto, are lefty bats, this team is very vulnerable to RH Pitching. Gomes, Rolen, and Phillips are the major RH bats and all put up mediocre numbers against RH pitching.Throw in three dead spots in the line-up at C, SS and P and this team looks like it will have trouble with RH even if Votto repeats and Bruce goes nuts. If Bruce starts hot, I don't think he will get much to hit against RHP with Rolen or Phillips hitting behind him and I fear a return of the overanxious pop-up machine that we saw most of last year. A lefty bat who mashes RHP in the 5 spot would go a long, long way. Add a guy like Brignac to play SS when a RHP is on the mound and be open to using Dickerson and his superior lead-off skills in CF vs. RHP and this team could do quite well offensively. Right now they look like they are at least one bat short against RHP. Against lefty pitching, they look a lot better. Rolen, Phillips and Gomes are all big threats against LHP and Votto does well against everyone. The team needs to shore itself up against RHP and Dorn is the most major league ready bat on hand for that job. I'd use Francisco in LF against RHP if no one else is added, but I can see the huge downside to that one.

Votto in LF and Alonso at 1B at some point may solve the problem, but until then Dorn may be the best option. I see why Dusty wants Laynce Nix back, though I'm a sleptic where he is concerned.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Thrilled to hear Leake will be here in Zebulon with the Mudcats this summer. Already bought a ticket package for the upcoming season!

Bryan Price pretty much sums up the primary reason Cincinnati drafted Leake. He's polished now, with good stuff, according to the new Reds pitching coach. He'll certainly pitch in Zebulon at the outset of this year, but he may very well end the season in the Queen City.

How many 1bs and LFs can one team have?

Turn Off Ads?