Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MLB TradeRumors: Reds interested in Nelson Cruz

RotoHester

MLB TradeRumors: Reds interested in Nelson Cruz

Rays, Reds Interested In Nelson Cruz
    By Mike Axisa [December 6, 2009 at 9:20pm CST]

The Rays and Reds are among the teams that have contacted the Rangers about outfielder Nelson Cruz, according to FoxSports.com's Jon Paul Morosi. We first heard that teams were contacting Texas about Cruz late last month.

For the right price I would like to see them bring him in. What do you guys think? Who would you send to Texas for Cruz?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: MLB TradeRumors: Reds interested in Nelson Cruz

Nobody. I'd take steps to keep Gomes.
    "...kicks and deals, and it's right down Broadway"

I'd give up what was nessecary without overpaying for him, I'd ask for Elvis Andrus as well.
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

I second that DracoDave get both if possible

Yeah, I would love to see a blockbuster deal to get both. Perhaps Dickerson, Janish, and Alonso + two or three minor prospects for Cruz and Andrus. I'll have to do some more research on everybody I mentioned here to make sure this would work, and I'll also have to check on contracts, but I could see this working. Any thoughts?

From sunny Florida ,
    I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Gary Redus Ruled

Why would the Rangers part with those two young cheap guys? Makes no sense. Ive read The Rangers GM saying he wont part with Cruz.
    Hoping for another Reds October

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Interesting. I'm more interested in staying pat with what we got and letting the farm system fill our outfield.

I also strongly believe this team needs to package Alonso and fill some needs.

We also have a decent relationship with Texas in terms of trading.
    Last edited by Vottomatic; 12-07-2009 at 11:27 AM.

Okay, changed my mind.

Cruz turns 30 next July. He's been in the majors since 2005. He never started until last season, and only played in 128 games. He hit 33 HR's but only produced 76 rbi. Batted .260 and stole 20 bases.

Not exactly overly impressive other than the HR's.

If we just move Phillips to SS, put Frazier at 2nd and Heisey/Francisco in Left with Stubbs and Dickerson in Center, Bruce in Right, Rolen, Votto, Hernandez/Hanigan at Catcher, we have the best young team in baseball. I don't even think we need Gomes.

He deserves to start anyway, but since we have the Cordero and Tavares contracts Gomes could be passed over for the kids. We must DFA Taveras. Trade Cordero if possible, but I still think with the money we save on position and bench players because of their age, we keep it in the bullpen.

I'm stoked about next year.

^Phillips is not moving anywhere
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

I don't think that acquiring Cruz at this point in his career is a good idea. A year ago, I would have been all for going after him, but now that he has fulfilled some of the promise of his billing, he won't come cheap. The homeruns are nice, and he plays good defense and has solid speed; however, he's going to be 30 and has trouble getting on base (which is one of the biggest defficiencies of this Reds' team as a whole). Unless Walt can get him without giving up much of anything (unlikely), I'd probably prefer to see a Dickerson/Heisey platoon in LF to start the year.

After seeing what they gave up for rolen I can only imagine what they would give up for Cruz. Im guessing they start with offering Wood and Frazier and end up giving them Wood, Alonso, and Heisey.

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Atl View Post
    If we just move Phillips to SS, put Frazier at 2nd and Heisey/Francisco in Left with Stubbs and Dickerson in Center, Bruce in Right, Rolen, Votto, Hernandez/Hanigan at Catcher, we have the best young team in baseball. I don't even think we need Gomes.

He deserves to start anyway, but since we have the Cordero and Tavares contracts Gomes could be passed over for the kids. We must DFA Taveras. Trade Cordero if possible, but I still think with the money we save on position and bench players because of their age, we keep it in the bullpen.

I'm stoked about next year.
    I completely agree.

Platoon Francisco (LH) with Heisey (RH) in LF.
    Platoon Dickerson (LH) with Stubbs (RH) in CF.
    Bruce in RF.
    Rolen at 3B.
    I agree with moving Phillips to SS.
    I agree it's time to try Frazier at 2B.
    Votto at 1B.
    They re-signed Ramon Hernandez. Let he and Hanigan split the catching duties.

No need to spend additional money on the position players.

Spend money on better pitching if it's available. Or begin to trade Alonso and some of our remaining minor leaguers who have no where to go, for some pitching depth.

Good post.

If I were Jocketty, I would very seriously consider giving Todd Frazier a long look at SS during Spring Training. He's a big guy and will eventually need to move off of the SS position, but I say that the Reds give him a shot there while he's still young and mobile despite his size. Everything that I've read about the guy would seem to indicate that he's a steady (though unspectacular) defensive performer as a shortstop. He's no Janish, but he's no Keppinger either. Combine that with the fact that he could be a well above average hitter, and I think that it's well worth the hit that you take on defense, especially on an offensively anemic team. I think this is probably the most painless way to add offense and unblock Frazier for the time being.

I like the idea of bringing Cruz on but not if we have to give up more than 1 or 2 prospects. I'd still like to see what Gomes can do in LF if he plays everyday, and if not then I'd like to see Francisco get some work out there, along with Heisey.

Turn Off Ads?