Turn Off Ads?
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Bobby Crosby ?

  1. #1
    Member Topcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,933

    Bobby Crosby ?

    He is going to be available in FA and some guys change with a more hitters friendly park. His career ops sucks and well he has a history of being fragile aka glass like. Just because its the off season and this board has many knowledgeable fans is he worth a flier on the cheap?
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

    Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Brett William Moore Will M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Crescent Springs KY
    Posts
    3,572

    Re: Bobby Crosby ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
    He is going to be available in FA and some guys change with a more hitters friendly park. His career ops sucks and well he has a history of being fragile aka glass like. Just because its the off season and this board has many knowledgeable fans is he worth a flier on the cheap?
    how about a minor league deal & an invite to spring training? i wouldn't give him more than that. he hasn't posted an OPS north of 675 in 4 years. ouch!
    .

  4. #3
    Member Ron Madden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5,815

    Re: Bobby Crosby ?

    pass.

  5. #4
    BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Ohio
    Posts
    9,052

    Re: Bobby Crosby ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
    He is going to be available in FA and some guys change with a more hitters friendly park. His career ops sucks and well he has a history of being fragile aka glass like. Just because its the off season and this board has many knowledgeable fans is he worth a flier on the cheap?
    Assuming no other options are available and they have all been explored, I can't see the harm in a flier. He has 3 things that would work well for us and that's defense (I think he's still acceptable at SS, not real sure) pop in his bat and he's not allergic to taking a BB. He's not ideal for us but he could easily be an upgrade and in GABP he could be a sizable upgrade.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 12-07-2009 at 06:37 AM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

    --Woody Hayes

  6. #5
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    11,422

    Re: Bobby Crosby ?

    If the Reds acquire a shortstop through free agency, Bobby Crosby is about the only player worth considering at all. The only players you could expect to out-perform him would be extremely over-priced.

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    NorthEast
    Posts
    1,002

    Re: Bobby Crosby ?

    You can take him off the board - signed with the Pirates for $1M with $500k incentives.

  8. #7
    SSG, Red Army Choir Guacarock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Posts
    1,125

    Re: Bobby Crosby ?

    Wonder if we could work a bad contract swap with the Twins -- We trade them CF Willy Taveras and they send us infielder Nick Punto? Both are due to make $4 million in 2010, with their contracts expiring after the season, so we're talking a straightforward, even-up swap.

    Punto isn't worth $4 million, but he would be worth more to us than Taveras, seeing as how we have a glut of outfielders on the roster. Likewise, the Twins are adequately covered in the infield, but lacking in the outfield.

    Punto could back up 2B and 3B, and play more often at SS if Janish can't hit over the Mendoza line. Punto probably won't hit much higher (in the .220-.240 range), but he draws lots of walks, does better against RH pitching (Janish's weakness), and is adequate in the field.

    Seems like we could match up with the Twins. Could be worth exploring as our free agent and trade options for SS keep dwindling.

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    The Bush Leagues
    Posts
    8,842

    Re: Bobby Crosby ?

    I'm tempted to drop my broad brush in the BALCO can.

  10. #9
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,187

    Re: Bobby Crosby ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    I'm tempted to drop my broad brush in the BALCO can.

    You want Jerry Hairston, Jr. back?
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  11. #10
    Member Tom Servo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Walt's bomb shelter
    Posts
    6,767

    Re: Bobby Crosby ?

    He's no Bubba Crosby.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

  12. #11
    Let's ride BRM's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Colorado's eastern plains
    Posts
    11,232

    Re: Bobby Crosby ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    You want Jerry Hairston, Jr. back?
    Dude's a winner. A World Series champion. Who wouldn't want him on their team?

  13. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    lake city florida
    Posts
    812

    Re: Bobby Crosby ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    You want Jerry Hairston, Jr. back?
    Nothing wrong with Jerry as long as he's here to be a backup.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

  14. #13
    RaisorZone Raisor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Charlotte, Nc
    Posts
    14,458

    Re: Bobby Crosby ?

    Quote Originally Posted by vic715 View Post
    Nothing wrong with Jerry as long as he's here to be a backup.
    How many 25th roster guys does one team need?
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

  15. #14
    We Need Our Myths reds1869's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Overlooking GABP
    Posts
    4,400

    Re: Bobby Crosby ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Guacarock View Post
    Wonder if we could work a bad contract swap with the Twins -- We trade them CF Willy Taveras and they send us infielder Nick Punto? Both are due to make $4 million in 2010, with their contracts expiring after the season, so we're talking a straightforward, even-up swap.

    Punto isn't worth $4 million, but he would be worth more to us than Taveras, seeing as how we have a glut of outfielders on the roster. Likewise, the Twins are adequately covered in the infield, but lacking in the outfield.

    Punto could back up 2B and 3B, and play more often at SS if Janish can't hit over the Mendoza line. Punto probably won't hit much higher (in the .220-.240 range), but he draws lots of walks, does better against RH pitching (Janish's weakness), and is adequate in the field.

    Seems like we could match up with the Twins. Could be worth exploring as our free agent and trade options for SS keep dwindling.
    I like your line of thinking a lot. Punto would fill two roles: 1) replacemnt level shortstop and 2) taking away Dusty's ability to play WillyT.

  16. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    lake city florida
    Posts
    812

    Re: Bobby Crosby ?

    Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    I like your line of thinking a lot. Punto would fill two roles: 1) replacemnt level shortstop and 2) taking away Dusty's ability to play WillyT.
    Only Cory Patterson can stop Dusty from using Tavares.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25