Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Bobby Crosby ?

Bobby Crosby ?

He is going to be available in FA and some guys change with a more hitters friendly park. His career ops sucks and well he has a history of being fragile aka glass like. Just because its the off season and this board has many knowledgeable fans is he worth a flier on the cheap?
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bobby Crosby ?

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
    He is going to be available in FA and some guys change with a more hitters friendly park. His career ops sucks and well he has a history of being fragile aka glass like. Just because its the off season and this board has many knowledgeable fans is he worth a flier on the cheap?
    how about a minor league deal & an invite to spring training? i wouldn't give him more than that. he hasn't posted an OPS north of 675 in 4 years. ouch!

pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
    Assuming no other options are available and they have all been explored, I can't see the harm in a flier. He has 3 things that would work well for us and that's defense (I think he's still acceptable at SS, not real sure) pop in his bat and he's not allergic to taking a BB. He's not ideal for us but he could easily be an upgrade and in GABP he could be a sizable upgrade.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 12-07-2009 at 06:37 AM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

If the Reds acquire a shortstop through free agency, Bobby Crosby is about the only player worth considering at all. The only players you could expect to out-perform him would be extremely over-priced.

You can take him off the board - signed with the Pirates for $1M with $500k incentives.

Wonder if we could work a bad contract swap with the Twins -- We trade them CF Willy Taveras and they send us infielder Nick Punto? Both are due to make $4 million in 2010, with their contracts expiring after the season, so we're talking a straightforward, even-up swap.

Punto isn't worth $4 million, but he would be worth more to us than Taveras, seeing as how we have a glut of outfielders on the roster. Likewise, the Twins are adequately covered in the infield, but lacking in the outfield.

Punto could back up 2B and 3B, and play more often at SS if Janish can't hit over the Mendoza line. Punto probably won't hit much higher (in the .220-.240 range), but he draws lots of walks, does better against RH pitching (Janish's weakness), and is adequate in the field.

Seems like we could match up with the Twins. Could be worth exploring as our free agent and trade options for SS keep dwindling.

I'm tempted to drop my broad brush in the BALCO can.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    I'm tempted to drop my broad brush in the BALCO can.

You want Jerry Hairston, Jr. back?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

He's no Bubba Crosby.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Dude's a winner. A World Series champion. Who wouldn't want him on their team?

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Nothing wrong with Jerry as long as he's here to be a backup.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

Quote Originally Posted by vic715 View Post
    Nothing wrong with Jerry as long as he's here to be a backup.
    How many 25th roster guys does one team need?

Quote Originally Posted by Guacarock View Post
    Wonder if we could work a bad contract swap with the Twins -- We trade them CF Willy Taveras and they send us infielder Nick Punto? Both are due to make $4 million in 2010, with their contracts expiring after the season, so we're talking a straightforward, even-up swap.

Punto isn't worth $4 million, but he would be worth more to us than Taveras, seeing as how we have a glut of outfielders on the roster. Likewise, the Twins are adequately covered in the infield, but lacking in the outfield.

Punto could back up 2B and 3B, and play more often at SS if Janish can't hit over the Mendoza line. Punto probably won't hit much higher (in the .220-.240 range), but he draws lots of walks, does better against RH pitching (Janish's weakness), and is adequate in the field.

Seems like we could match up with the Twins. Could be worth exploring as our free agent and trade options for SS keep dwindling.
    I like your line of thinking a lot. Punto would fill two roles: 1) replacemnt level shortstop and 2) taking away Dusty's ability to play WillyT.

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    I like your line of thinking a lot. Punto would fill two roles: 1) replacemnt level shortstop and 2) taking away Dusty's ability to play WillyT.
    Only Cory Patterson can stop Dusty from using Tavares.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

Turn Off Ads?