Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: NFL Early Draft Entries

Re: NFL Early Draft Entries

Dare I say its irresponsible to pass on top 5 pick money. There is no excuse other than your family is already loaded for passing on that money. Anyone who tells a kid to pass on it is being selfish in some fashion.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Geez, maybe he feels he is not ready. Maybe he feels like he would rather play in 13 games next year rather than sit on the sidelines with a clipboard for 17 weeks. Maybe he really enjoys the college life and wants to finish what he started with his classmates.

QBs make their money no matter what. They can play into their late 30s. Jake Locker will be fine.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

From a money standpoint, it's no doubt a dumb decision. From a quality of life standpoint it's impossible to say.

From a being ready standpoint? THat's a hard pill to swallow because he's already going to be a top 5 selection, he's basically giving his future employer one year of free on the job training, which gets us back to a money decision and from a money standpoint there's no argument it is not in his best interest to return to school.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

I wouldn't have traded my college experience for any amount of money. I wanted no part of having to grow up and be an adult earlier than absolutely necessary.

If Locker is similar, it's an easy decision. Besides, it's not like Bradford will end up destitute. He'll make a million or two pretty much no matter what. And, if you're smart, that's plenty of money to make last for an entire lifetime.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    I wouldn't have traded my college experience for any amount of money. I wanted no part of having to grow up and be an adult earlier than absolutely necessary.

If Locker is similar, it's an easy decision. Besides, it's not like Bradford will end up destitute. He'll make a million or two pretty much no matter what. And, if you're smart, that's plenty of money to make last for an entire lifetime.
    You wouldnt have traded a year or two of college for 30 million guaranteed? wow.

$30 million in one season? Not likely. More like $5 to $10 million.

And yeah, some things are worth more than money.

Too, it's not like this is an either/or situation. He's going to get paid. He's just putting it off for a year so he can still be a kid.

And that's worth far more than $30 million. At least to me.
    Last edited by Scrap Irony; 12-15-2009 at 04:25 PM.
    -- Christy Matthewson
    -- Leo Durocher

Too, it's not like this is an either/or situation. He's going to get paid. He's just putting it off for a year so he can still be a kid.

Mark Sanchez got 30 million guaranteed last year.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Ironic that you are calling a kid an idiot because he wants go back and pursue his college degree.

I will never criticize a player who wants to go back to school for a senior year. Some times they don't work, Sam Bradford, but at other times it is a smart decision. More than anything I would blame a head coach, Bob Stoops, for convincing a kid to come back to school.
    A college degree will always be there.... what are the odds that a $50M deal is? One wrong move and he could lose $50M. Its just a poor decision on his part.

So is 1 year of college worth risking tens of millions of dollars if he gets hurt? I am sorry, but partying at the frat house is never worth that kind of money. I didn't go to college, so I am not the expert on the college life, but I do know that there is very little in life that is worth tens of millions of dollars for just an experience (and basically that is only going to come down to life itself - wife, kids, family... not some 'college experience' which I have already had 3 years of).

[QUOTE=dougdirt;2003239]I am sorry, but partying at the frat house is never worth that kind of money. I didn't go to college, so I am not the expert on the college life...[QUOTE]

Then you can't understand the importance of it. College is a seminal experience, much like marriage and children.
    -- Christy Matthewson
    -- Leo Durocher

Id probably leave my wife for 30 million dollars. Especially if I could go back to them after 3 or so years.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    Geez, maybe he feels he is not ready. Maybe he feels like he would rather play in 13 games next year rather than sit on the sidelines with a clipboard for 17 weeks. Maybe he really enjoys the college life and wants to finish what he started with his classmates.

QBs make their money no matter what. They can play into their late 30s. Jake Locker will be fine.
    Exactly. Another year with Sarkisian and Nussmeir will help immensely.

Granted, it is early, but every mock I've seen has both Claussen and Bradford taken ahead of Locker. Plus, Colt McCoy will likely go in round 1, and who knows
    if Mallett will declare.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Id probably leave my wife for 30 million dollars. Especially if I could go back to them after 3 or so years.
    And I wouldn't leave mine for any amount.

Obviously, our priorities are different.
    -- Christy Matthewson
    -- Leo Durocher

Then you can't understand the importance of it. College is a seminal experience, much like marriage and children.
    Marriage and children are comparable experiences to 4 years of college over 3 years? Please. Marriage and children are about love, the rest of your life and so much more. 1 year of college in no way, shape or form can possibly compare to those things.

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4blue
    Granted, it is early, but every mock I've seen has both Claussen and Bradford taken ahead of Locker. Plus, Colt McCoy will likely go in round 1, and who knows if Mallett will declare.
    Mel Kipers big board has Jake Locker at #5 overall behind Suh, G McCoy, Berry and Claussen.

Todd McShay has Locker going #1 overall on his most recent mock draft.

I guess my question is, what mock drafts are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    LOL

Turn Off Ads?