Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Other teams get better, The Reds dont

Other teams get better, The Reds dont

Its the same old story every year. The Reds rivals, Cubs, Cards, Astros, Braves,Dodgers, and so on get better while the Reds either stand pat or get worse. It just gets old being a die hard Reds fan and watching the ownership and front office sit around and do basically bothing year after year. You would think 15 yrs of playoffless baseball would mmake them sing a different tune wouldnt ya. I dont know but its getting old Ill tell ya that much.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Other teams get better, The Reds dont

I appreciate your frustration, but the Brewers, Cubs, and Astros can't get out of their own way either. They all regressed last year. The only club to compete with is St. Louis. As long as they have a top 10 all-time player in his prime, it's hard to do.

I know Pujols is the best in the game but the Reds could try and compete with em. We have Votto who isnt at Pujols level but he isnt bad either with some other good quality guys. The Mets just acquired E Jackson for prospects and there farm teams are terrible. The Reds could have went after him. The Reds need a big time run producing LF and there are at least 3 out there but not a peep from the Reds on them. Oh Bob needs to learn if he would spend alittle money and bring a winning team to Cincy the fans would show up. If he would spend the money they would come. But until he spends a little of his green the fans will stay out of the red in GABP.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Had Votto not missed 30 games, I believe this team wins 85 last year.

Had Tavares gotten injured sooner, I believe this team wins 85 games last year.

Had Rolen been traded for sooner, I believe this team wins 85 games last year.

I'd say be patient, and hope management refuses to let Dusty make out losing lineups next season. Help is on the way. Votto for 160 games, Rolen at 3B, Phillips at 2B, Stubbs in CF with Dickerson, maybe Heisey/Gomes in LF........a healthy 'nother year under his belt Bruce in RF..........

We could be the Pirates, Cubs, Brewers or Astros, ya know? We're actually improving and they're regressing.

Ehm E Jackson hasn't been traded or have I missed something?

Quote Originally Posted by Farnsie View Post
    Ehm E Jackson hasn't been traded or have I missed something?
    It had been reported earlier today that Edwin had in fact been traded to the Mets. But like many reports, it has been denied and proved to be false.
    Whoever wants to know the heart and mind of America had better learn baseball - Jacques Barzun

Maybe I'm being too optimistic but if we can stay healthy next season and add some depth, I think we can be a factor in the NL Central in 2010.

I think that they need to add a few pieces with the biggest need being shortstop to be competitive and a veteran starter. However, even if we spend the money to add a thumper for LF, we still can't beat the Cardinals. I actually think that Walt has it right. Let's see if the younger players that we have can develop into something special. The Reds have a good young nucleus and more help on the way in Frazier, Alonso, Heisey etc. The Reds are smaller market and cannot compete by spending lots of money. They have to be smarter and develop from within to be successful and sustain it.

If we just move Phillips to SS, put Frazier at 2nd and Heisey/Francisco in Left with Stubbs and Dickerson in Center, Bruce in Right, Rolen, Votto, Hernandez/Hanigan at Catcher, we have the best young team in baseball. I don't even think we need Gomes.

He deserves to start anyway, but since we have the Cordero and Tavares contracts Gomes could be passed over for the kids. We must DFA Taveras. Trade Cordero if possible, but I still think that with the money we save on position and bench players because of their age, we keep the excess in the bullpen.

I'm exicited about next year, and I think we have improved from within. Makes me not want to waste our resources on average, overpaid guys. A team like the Reds has to have a great farm system, and keep putting out young guys who can do the job. It's the only way to compete.

Quote Originally Posted by BigRed View Post
    I think that they need to add a few pieces with the biggest need being shortstop to be competitive and a veteran starter. However, even if we spend the money to add a thumper for LF, we still can't beat the Cardinals. I actually think that Walt has it right. Let's see if the younger players that we have can develop into something special. The Reds have a good young nucleus and more help on the way in Frazier, Alonso, Heisey etc. The Reds are smaller market and cannot compete by spending lots of money. They have to be smarter and develop from within to be successful and sustain it.
    We played the Cards tough all season. I'm not sure how many we won, but I'm willing to bet we split the series with them. We match up well with them.

Once again can someone provide some proof that we need a SS?? Please? Can someone look up the ages of the main components on this team and then look at the ages of the Machine, maybe do a little homework, contrast and compare.
    Stop relying on the Sabremetrics stupidity?

Seriously you guys realize that the Reds of 09 are in the same boat as the Reds of 68? I guess they should've just traded Rose and Perez, given up on this kid named Bench and what the hell why bother signing any of these young latin kids like Concepcion.

The truth is the future of this team relies on you the fans to step up, stop *****ing and commit to buying tickets. The current ownership is not Chuck Finley, Bob is not going to just pocket lumps of cash, he's a business man he understands there is a time to invest and a time to hold the line. If you buy tickets they will build it

Oh and we were 6-7 against the "mighty" Cardinals
    "Dem dogs is good" - Pete Rose

^Are you Bob or Bobs wife?
    So Kief, by your theory, if McDonalds has sucked for years now, that means patrons need to buy more McDonalds so they will improve, or does McDonalds need to improve the food to bring back the old customers as well as make new ones?
    Granted, I feel the Reds are getting closer to being competetive, but Reds fans have followed crappy teams for many years now, so its not a new pent up frustration all of a suden. They have been buying tix and merchandise for years for crappy teams, at some point the team has to be accountable. Stop blaming the fans.
    UNC Tar Heels 2009 National Champions 5 time NCAA Champs
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09
    Go Heels!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KiefMoon View Post
    Once again can someone provide some proof that we need a SS?? Please? Can someone look up the ages of the main components on this team and then look at the ages of the Machine, maybe do a little homework, contrast and compare.
    Stop relying on the Sabremetrics stupidity?

Seriously you guys realize that the Reds of 09 are in the same boat as the Reds of 68? I guess they should've just traded Rose and Perez, given up on this kid named Bench and what the hell why bother signing any of these young latin kids like Concepcion.

The truth is the future of this team relies on you the fans to step up, stop *****ing and commit to buying tickets. The current ownership is not Chuck Finley, Bob is not going to just pocket lumps of cash, he's a business man he understands there is a time to invest and a time to hold the line. If you buy tickets they will build it

Oh and we were 6-7 against the "mighty" Cardinals
    You should never tell fans to buy tickets. You should tell management to provide a commodity that is worth buying tickets to go see.

My Dad was a lifelong GM car buyer. He would never buy anything BUT General Motors cars. In the 1980's, GM's cars began to suck big time. He had two engines go out before 50,000 miles in GM cars. Then he had transmission problems and all kinds of other problems. He came to believe GM wasn't what they used to be. It bothered him to change, but he finally turned his back on GM because they were putting out a bad product and he wasn't going to reward them anymore with his loyalty when they weren't loyal to him by putting out a good product.

Then he bought a Toyota in around 1988. Car lasted forever. He then bought me a company truck........a Toyota. It lasted forever. Then when he bought his first luxury car, it was an Infiniti. He did buy my mom an Aurora from GM, a few years back, and it has held up nicely. He slowly is coming back to GM.

This story is reminiscent of many former GM buyers who got ripped off with bad cars in the 80's. Many Americans were loyal GM and Ford buyers, never wanting to buy a foreign car. But the bad product made them change their mind.

Until the Reds put a good product on the field, nobody is expected to buy tickets. It doesn't work that way. We don't buy tickets to help them field a good team............they field a good team and then we buy tickets. You don't reward mediocrity............(I digress) unless your the BCS (college football). You send a message by not buying tickets. If you continue to show up for a bad product, they have no reason to put a good product on the field.
    Last edited by Vottomatic; 12-08-2009 at 04:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    You should never tell fans to buy tickets. You should tell management to provide a commodity that is worth buying tickets to go see.

My Dad was a lifelong GM car buyer. He would never buy anything BUT General Motors cars. In the 1980's, GM's cars began to suck big time. He had two engines go out before 50,000 miles in GM cars. Then he had transmission problems and all kinds of other problems. He came to believe GM wasn't what they used to be. It bothered him to change, but he finally turned his back on GM because they were putting out a bad product and he wasn't going to reward them anymore with his loyalty when they weren't loyal to him by putting out a good product.

Then he bought a Toyota in around 1988. Car lasted forever. He then bought me a company truck........a Toyota. It lasted forever. Then when he bought his first luxury car, it was an Infiniti. He did buy my mom an Aurora from GM, a few years back, and it has held up nicely. He slowly is coming back to GM.

This story is reminiscent of many former GM buyers who got ripped off with bad cars in the 80's. Many Americans were loyal GM and Ford buyers, never wanting to buy a foreign car. But the bad product made them change their mind.

Until the Reds put a good product on the field, nobody is expected to buy tickets. It doesn't work that way. We don't buy tickets to help them field a good team............they field a good team and then we buy tickets. You don't reward mediocrity............(I digress) unless your the BCS (college football). You send a message by not buying tickets. If you continue to show up for a bad product, they have no reason to put a good product on the field.
    Good post. Give us a reason to buy tickets and we will come. Until then, I'll make one or two trips to Cincinnati a year and that's it.
    Whoever wants to know the heart and mind of America had better learn baseball - Jacques Barzun

Just Sign Dye for LF, Move Phillips to SS, Bring Up Frazier to play 2B,

1. Drew Stubbs
    2. Brandon Phillips
    3. Joey Votto
    4. Jermaine Dye
    5. Scott Rolen
    6. Jay Bruce
    7. Todd Frazier
    8. Ramon Hernandez

Turn Off Ads?