Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: 2009 Winter Meetings thread

Re: 2009 Winter Meetings thread

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Wait, we are talking about the former Astro, right? And not Corky from Life Goes On?

You never know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

BTW, the Red Sox supposedly claimed Ramon Ramirez off waivers. I think they're just trying to be funny.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    The Dbacks view a guy who threw 170 innings last year as a reliever? Well if that is the truth then it tells me all we need to know about why everyone thinks they got hosed on the deal.
    I think Scherzer breaks out this year in big way. He had some very dominant outings last year- if I remember correctly he got hit around at home, but he was pretty good for a guy learning how to start.

Scherzer had pitch count efficiency issues- lots of pitches, lots of walks, but when he was on he was awesome- one of the Brewer pitchers even commented about how nasty his stuff was after facing him.

I like the guy to be really good this year.

And Curtis Granderson just took a one way ticket off my favorite player list. Gosh, a lefty that kills righties...in Yankee stadium.

They are going to score a billion runs.

Scherzer's problem is that he's moving to the AL.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Austin Jackson turned down a basketball scholarship to Georgia Tech in order to sign with the Yankees in 2005. I wonder if he would have done so with the Tigers.

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    Austin Jackson turned down a basketball scholarship to Georgia Tech in order to sign with the Yankees in 2005. I wonder if he would have done so with the Tigers.
    Drew Henson anyone?
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    Granderson's salary doesn't really fit that description, though, it's reasonable and he's more than worth it. The D-Backs just don't make sense to me here.
    You're looking at it as a per year thing but that's not how clubs budget such a contract. Another GM looks at Granderson and he sees a $25mill commitment through 2012. Not many teams will consider taking on that kind of load.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Count me underwhelmed with what Detroit got as well. In fact, I'd say the Yankees are the only ones coming out smelling like a rose in this deal. But I always prefer quality over quantity.
    Ya. The Yankees are the clear winner IMHO too.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

8:35pm: Mike DiGiovanna of the LA Times reports that Angels GM Tony Reagins would consider moving Erick Aybar for a substantial return.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

I'd give the Angels a call to see what they want for Aybar.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    8:35pm: Mike DiGiovanna of the LA Times reports that Angels GM Tony Reagins would consider moving Erick Aybar for a substantial return.

They want a substantial return.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

I like this deal for the Yanks, but it's not as bad from the Arizona front as some of you suggest. Sherzer is in no way a TOR arm. He throws too many pitches and can't go deep into games. The Backs know that. I watched the guy a lot last year and he's not that great. I would think that Jackson is a better pitcher although you wonder why he's been traded twice in 2 years. Kennedy is a 4th starter with upside if he ever get's healthy. I am guessing Johnny Damon just got notice that he's going elsewhere unless his demands drop big time.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    I like this deal for the Yanks, but it's not as bad from the Arizona front as some of you suggest. Sherzer is in no way a TOR arm. He throws too many pitches and can't go deep into games. The Backs know that. I watched the guy a lot last year and he's not that great. I would think that Jackson is a better pitcher although you wonder why he's been traded twice in 2 years. Kennedy is a 4th starter with upside if he ever get's healthy. I am guessing Johnny Damon just got notice that he's going elsewhere unless his demands drop big time.
    I tend to agree with you here.

Max has a pretty violent delivery, and there are also fears that his arm is going to blow up. While Kennedy wasn't good in his short time in New York, most young pitchers aren't good right away and take a while to blossom (see Bailey, Homer). And moving from the AL East and the launching pad that is Yankee Stadium to the NL West will do nothing but help the guy. I don't think he's of much value in the AL East against those lineups, but in the NL West with those huge parks and relatively weak lineups, he could be a solid middle of the rotation guy. And Jackson can be a good major league outfielder. I don't know about "star" potential, but potential nonetheless.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I think the Marlins are either crazy.... or are going to spend legit money soon.

They turned down Justin Smoak and Neftali Feliz for Josh Johnson. That would be like turning down Yonder Alonso pre injury and Homer Bailey circa 2006.

Chris Burke...another guy who couldn't find first base with a compass and a slide rule....he'll fit in nicely and in the 2 hole no less....apologies to dead horses everywhere

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post

heck yeh. Aybar is fantastic defensively and can hit a little. looking at shortstops across baseball he is one of the best overall.

Turn Off Ads?