Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: 2009 Winter Meetings thread

Re: 2009 Winter Meetings thread

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Every team, no matter their plan, is going to bring in guys like Chris Burke, Jerry Hairston, etc.
    So if every other team jumped off a bridge.....

Rolen gives the veteran presence I talked about, and Jocketty has said that he intends to re-sign him, making him part of the future.
    Ah yes, the youth movement in full bloom.

Craig Counsell fills a hole in the way Ramon Hernandez fills a hole. Who else do the Reds have to play shortstop? Who else did the Reds have to play catcher?
    Counsell and Herandez were not and are not the only two options in all of baseball.

Did you notice that the Reds didn't trade Homer Bailey for Jermaine Dye? They didn't make a run at Matt Holliday either.
    Did you notice that they traded two young prospects and a young 3B for an aging third baseman with a history of injury problems?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Ah yes, the youth movement in full bloom.
    Youth movement question.

The Reds have Rolen, Phillips, Votto, Bruce each seemingly locked into their positions for some time to come and they have a couple catchers. With the likes of the touted youth in Frazier, Heisey, Francisco, Alonso and Cozart. Many of these youth seemed to be locked out of a place to play when they are deemed ready. Everyone can’t play left field, so I don’t see how some of the touted youth movement will ever make and have a place to play in Cincinnati. Cozart is a ss maybe he can.

They can’t move Phillips from second to make room for anyone, according to them. They don’t seem to want Votto to play left, and there has been talk of resigning Rolen when the time comes. So if the youth movement is such as they sell it, where will they play? Alonso is strictly a first baseman. You already have Stubbs, Dickerson, Bruce, Willy, I assume he will be gone after 2010. Frazier is suppose to be good everywhere but.

Seems like all the youth is being trained to play left field. Surely that is not true.

I don’t see the youth pieces fitting moving forward not even in 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Spring~Fields View Post
    Youth movement question.

The Reds have Rolen, Phillips, Votto, Bruce each seemingly locked into their positions for some time to come and they have a couple catchers. With the likes of the touted youth in Frazier, Heisey, Francisco, Alonso and Cozart. Many of these youth seemed to be locked out of a place to play when they are deemed ready. Everyone can’t play left field, so I don’t see how some of the touted youth movement will ever make and have a place to play in Cincinnati. Cozart is a ss maybe he can.

They can’t move Phillips from second to make room for anyone, according to them. They don’t seem to want Votto to play left, and there has been talk of resigning Rolen when the time comes. So if the youth movement is such as they sell it, where will they play? Alonso is strictly a first baseman. You already have Stubbs, Dickerson, Bruce, Willy, I assume he will be gone after 2010. Frazier is suppose to be good everywhere but.

Seems like all the youth is being trained to play left field. Surely that is not true.

I don’t see the youth pieces fitting moving forward not even in 2011
    Well, if Votto stays at 1B, Bruce in RF, and Stubbs in CF, that's three of eight starting positions filled by very young players. That in itself is a youth movement for most teams, especially when at least 2/5 of the rotation will be filled with youngsters, and 2010 could end with 4 youngsters in the rotation.

Then if the Reds don't add a veteran SS, it will be either Janish or Cozart at SS, and there's a good chance one of the names you mentioned above will be the LF for at least part of 2010. That would make 5 of the 8 starting position players youngsters. That definitely is a youth movement.

Or to put another way, the Reds only have three positions filled with veterans, C 2B and 3B, and two rotation spots filled with veterans. And if someone young and cheap is poised to take over C or 3B in 2011, then Rolen and Hernandez will not be re-signed. Phillips is the only veteran position player blocking a youngster, and he is in his prime and one of the team's best players.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    Well, if Votto stays at 1B, Bruce in RF, and Stubbs in CF, that's three of eight starting positions filled by very young players. That in itself is a youth movement for most teams, especially when at least 2/5 of the rotation will be filled with youngsters, and 2010 could end with 4 youngsters in the rotation.

Then if the Reds don't add a veteran SS, it will be either Janish or Cozart at SS, and there's a good chance one of the names you mentioned above will be the LF for at least part of 2010. That would make 5 of the 8 starting position players youngsters. That definitely is a youth movement.

Or to put another way, the Reds only have three positions filled with veterans, C 2B and 3B, and two rotation spots filled with veterans. And if someone young and cheap is poised to take over C or 3B in 2011, then Rolen and Hernandez will not be re-signed. Phillips is the only veteran position player blocking a youngster, and he is in his prime and one of the team's best players.
    Outstanding, great points. Thanks for readjusting my perception and focus.
    Your very right, now I can see that better thanks to you. I must be focusing too much on those minor leaguers and lost sight of what you have correctly pointed out. Good job.

Thank you

Turn Off Ads?