Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2009 Winter Meetings thread

Re: 2009 Winter Meetings thread

I'm guessing the D-Backs think Kennedy is healthy. It's not as bad as people are saying, if he is. If so, they got two TOR starting pitchers for one TOR arm and a potential closer. Or the got one TOR arm and one question mark for one TOR arm and one question mark.

I am one of the few that like Edwin Jackson and think he will continue to out perform his peripherals. He's done it two years in a row, and it's not like he wasn't a solid prospect early in his career. And moving to the NL West should help. I think he and Scherzer are a fair swap, except for the money. Schlereth is a fair swap for Kennedy, since both have potential and both have question marks.

They still didn't do as well as the Tigers or the Yankees, and I'm not sure why they did it, since it doesn't really make them better, but it's not like they got robbed.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    It does for Detroit who lost a ton of money the last two seasons and has to cut some payroll.
    I just mean he's not nearly so expensive that the Yankees are anywhere close to the only team who could afford to trade for him.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    I'm guessing the D-Backs think Kennedy is healthy. It's not as bad as people are saying, if he is. If so, they got two TOR starting pitchers for one TOR arm and a potential closer. Or the got one TOR arm and one question mark for one TOR arm and one question mark.
    Unless I misunderstood you, are you suggesting that Ian Kennedy is a TOR arm? At best, Kennedy is a #4 type of arm. He throws strikes, but he doesn't have a single out pitch.

Not a Scherzer fan?
    He could be great, but like a lot of young pitchers, he could become garbage tomorrow. He's the right thing to gamble for but the Tigers lost--by far--the principal athlete in this deal.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    He could be great, but like a lot of young pitchers, he could become garbage tomorrow. He's the right thing to gamble for but the Tigers lost--by far--the principal athlete in this deal.
    While I agree that Granderson was the biggest guy lost, isn't Scherzer easily and upgrade from Jackson?

Unless I misunderstood you, are you suggesting that Ian Kennedy is a TOR arm? At best, Kennedy is a #4 type of arm. He throws strikes, but he doesn't have a single out pitch.
    I stand corrected then. I've never seen him pitch. Just going on his minor league stats, and what I heard when he first came up. I should have known better than to trust what the writers say about a Yankee prospect.

Still think it was a fair, if meaningless trade for the D- Backs.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

isn't Scherzer easily and upgrade from Jackson?
    Maybe. Like I said, it's a terrible deal for Arizona, but it's not like it's a particularly good deal for Detroit. It's like Detroit and Arizona got into a fisticuffs over a pack of gum while the Yankees ran out the door with the till.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Maybe. Like I said, it's a terrible deal for Arizona, but it's not like it's a particularly good deal for Detroit. It's like Detroit and Arizona got into a fisticuffs over a pack of gum while the Yankees ran out the door with the till.
    I like it for Detroit simply because they had to shed money to make payroll and they still got a good amount of talent. Arizona.... they got stuck with the gum wrapper. Detroit at least got the entire candy shelf.

A comment on CNAT.com says the Reds have signed SS Chris Burke. My guess is that it's a minor league deal.
    Where we gonna go?

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    A comment on CNAT.com says the Reds have signed SS Chris Burke. My guess is that it's a minor league deal.
    A guy I've been expecting the Reds to sign for years.

Wait, we are talking about the former Astro, right? And not Corky from Life Goes On?
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

I like it for Detroit simply because they had to shed money to make payroll and they still got a good amount of talent. Arizona.... they got stuck with the gum wrapper. Detroit at least got the entire candy shelf.
    Net, the Tigers lost a hefty amount of talent. Keep making deals like Detroit made today and next thing you know you're hoping Wily Mo and Ed Yarnall work out.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 12-08-2009 at 05:55 PM.

The D-backs, though, have their reasons for making the deal.

First and foremost, they view Scherzer as a reliever, not a starter. Scherzer had Tommy John surgery in high school. He was a reliever in college. And his mechanics remain a concern for many scouts.

Schlereth already is a reliever, so the Diamondbacks — in their view — are effectively trading two relievers for two starters.

The downside for Arizona?

Jackson slumped in the second half of last season, is under club control for only two more years and is almost certain to leave as a free agent — he is represented by Scott Boras.

Kennedy, meanwhile, has yet to prove that he can be even a back-of-the-rotation starter, though his chances for success should improve in the National League. -- Ken Rosenthal
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Wow. Horrible trade for the D'Backs. The NL continues to get worse.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Eh, I like the move for Detroit. They clearly have to get younger and cheaper, and it's not everyday when you can acquire two young, cheap talents the caliber of Scherzer and Austin Jackson. Not to mention, some on here were pining for Phil Coke fairly recently.

It will be interesting to see if they hang onto Cabrera for a while. Maybe they can send him back to Florida for Andrew Miller and Cameron Maybin

I do have to say though, baseball is becoming less and less interesting to me these days. There are only so many of these "don't expect much" off-seasons you can take as a Reds fan. This is the least amount of attention I've paid to the Winter Meetings in quite some time.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
    The D-backs, though, have their reasons for making the deal.

First and foremost, they view Scherzer as a reliever, not a starter. Scherzer had Tommy John surgery in high school. He was a reliever in college. And his mechanics remain a concern for many scouts.

Schlereth already is a reliever, so the Diamondbacks — in their view — are effectively trading two relievers for two starters.

The downside for Arizona?

Jackson slumped in the second half of last season, is under club control for only two more years and is almost certain to leave as a free agent — he is represented by Scott Boras.

Kennedy, meanwhile, has yet to prove that he can be even a back-of-the-rotation starter, though his chances for success should improve in the National League. -- Ken Rosenthal
    The Dbacks view a guy who threw 170 innings last year as a reliever? Well if that is the truth then it tells me all we need to know about why everyone thinks they got hosed on the deal.

Turn Off Ads?