Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Tejada/Cabrera?

Tejada/Cabrera?

http://twitter.com/JimBowdenIV

"Reds pursuing Tejada and Cabrera for SS but price has to come down and it will"

Have at it.......

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Tejada/Cabrera?

Both fit. Tejada isnt a good defensive SS any more and Cabrera has some lacking range but if they are in the budget we would be dumb to not look at them. Tejada seems like a guy Dusty would love.

Baseball means warmth Joeyjection19's Avatar

As much as I want to nit-pick having two 80 year olds anchor our infield, they both played nearly full years with OPS's way higher than Janish (.194 for Tejada, .104 for Cabrera.) If the price is right, there's no reason not to spend some of our limited funds on a 1-2 year stopgap.

I'd say no to Tejada. His defense is god awful these days, and I think his stick will begin to decline in the near future as well. He could wind up being an albatross given what they'd likely have to pay him.

On the other hand, Cabrera wouldn't be a bad option. I wouldn't mind having him on a cheap one year deal with a vesting option or something of that nature. I think he can still be average to slightly above average defensively, and he's a clear upgrade over Janish with the bat.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Move Phillips to SS and put Tejada at 2B. Tejada's bat was still very good last year for Houston at the ripe old age of 35 (turns 36 in June) he batted .313 with 84 rbi's. Sure, the power has declined, but it might increase at GABP. He played 158 games and had the lowest season K total ever (when playing over 100 games). Had an OBP of .340 last season.

I don't want Tejada at SS either.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Zero View Post
    I'd say no to Tejada. His defense is god awful these days, and I think his stick will begin to decline in the near future as well. He could wind up being an albatross given what they'd likely have to pay him.

On the other hand, Cabrera wouldn't be a bad option. I wouldn't mind having him on a cheap one year deal with a vesting option or something of that nature. I think he can still be average to slightly above average defensively, and he's a clear upgrade over Janish with the bat.
    You may be right about Tejada's defense, but the few times I saw him play last year, he seemed to play a pretty good shortstop. I also think he would really rake at GABP. The Redlegs would definitely upgrade their offense with him. (I like Cabrera too.).

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Move Phillips to SS and put Tejada at 2B. Tejada's bat was still very good last year for Houston at the ripe old age of 35 (turns 36 in June) he batted .313 with 84 rbi's. Sure, the power has declined, but it might increase at GABP. He played 158 games and had the lowest season K total ever (when playing over 100 games). Had an OBP of .340 last season.

I don't want Tejada at SS either.
    I like your idea, but all signs from the Reds, especially Dusty's recent interview, point to their insistence that Phillips stays at 2B.

If Tejada was still playing at his Orioles' caliber, then this would be more than ideal, but he is nowhere near that anymore.

Cabrera is much more realistic (in my opinion) if the price and length of contract are right.

RotoHester

Am I the only one that skips over any post that starts with "move Phillips to SS"....

Quote Originally Posted by roby View Post
    You may be right about Tejada's defense, but the few times I saw him play last year, he seemed to play a pretty good shortstop. I also think he would really rake at GABP. The Redlegs would definitely upgrade their offense with him. (I like Cabrera too.).
    Maybe we saw some different games, but I'm thinking of one in particular where Stubbs reached on two infield singles to Tejada. Stubbs is obviously quick, but these were pretty routine grounders. I wasn't very impressed with what I saw from Tejada in the field. It's a different story when he's in the batter's box though.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/1...der-trade.html

More of what we already know. This is something that I would be happy to see pursued.

My reasons: I love Janish as much as anyone, and if he wins the starting job, so be it, Maicer = super sub. (Who knows exactly what it will take to acquire him)

If Maicer wins the starting SS job, based on his performance (last year of his contract), we can plan our future accordingly, be it around him or around one of the young guys who have hopefully developed and not regressed over the season.

If Maicer continues to be our man, TRADE PROSPECTS. If Maicer fails, big whoop.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wojo1025 View Post
    Am I the only one that skips over any post that starts with "move Phillips to SS"....
    Phillips is on record as saying he'd be fine moving to SS.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Phillips is on record as saying he'd be fine moving to SS.
    I, for one, would love to see Brandon at shortstop. I'm pretty sure he's be fine there. (I mean FINE). The only hold-up would be if Cozart is really going to be good. There's no sense moving Phillips only to move him back. He shouldn't be treated like a ping pong ball. I guess it all boils down to the Reds assessment of Zack Cozart.

I think Tejada would be a nice fit, he's getting older, but they really need offense. It will be an ancient left side of the infield with Rolen/Tejada, but it will hopefully give their young guys a little more time to develop. Tejada is a solid bat, and I think he would help their team out. + having Rolen/Phillips on each side of him may help compensate a little bit for his lack of range.
    I'm also in favor of keeping Phillips at 2nd base. You already know what you have with him there, great defense, and a solid bat. I see no point in tinkering with that unless you have a reall REALLY good 2B to replace him with. By that I mean a guy like Chase Utley, which they obviously don't have.

Fay just debunked this and Walt said no as well. Seems little Jimmy "Leathervest" Bowden is having some fun with his tight pocketed former employer.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...tions+for+Reds

the reds arent going to be doing anything this offseason. FO has came out said they are at or near budget, they also like the team we have. which blows my mind, but what do you expect from the reds at this point? the FO doesnt even take credit for the horrible seasons, they put it on the fans for not coming to watch the crappy product.

Turn Off Ads?